Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ooh, I love this game! Never managed to churn through all the scenarios.

I'm going to disagree with you on loans.
Take the screenshot right after you took one:

Looking at your past finances, your loan interest was at $16.40 per month. In other words if you can make more than $17 bucks a month off of 10k in spending, you've profited from the loan.

In my experience it is almost always beneficial to expand your loan and get as many good coasters in as you can right at the start. The higher guest counts, ticket prices and ride income early on massively outstrips the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

biosterous posted:

At some point please make a park full of rides that would be rip-offs in the real world, but that the park guests are happy with. Things like a one-tile hedge maze, an observation tower with the absolute minimum height, etc

How can you mention this and not bring up the corkscr-eh? Two station platforms a single corkscrew piece and set to powered launch at minimum speed.

Ironically also the best money maker in the game last I checked.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

I always hated wooden coasters as a kid but I think that’s because the ones at Kings Dominion are very rough. If you don’t hold your head right, you will get whiplash.

I very rarely hold my head right and almost always come out with a sore neck.

As far as I'm aware most wooden coasters consider bashing you about a feature. Hell at six flags over texas they literally called it the rattler.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Maps are pretty essential for your guests, so you don't want them too expensive. The way guest pathfinding works, by default they will follow their path until they hit an intersection, then take a random path. (This is why multi-tile paths mess them up, they're all intersections so guests will just randomly wander until they get out.) They'll only consider riding a ride when they reach its queue. With a map, on the other hand, they'll decide what they want to do out of all of the options and then aim for it, so you can much more efficiently entertain them/extract their money.

This is a big reason why I always try to place ride exits adjacent to the main path when possible and slap a no entry sign over the exit path when not. Stops people from getting confused as easy by eliminating useless alleys from their path finding.

Similarly, every big moneymaker i make has the queue tied directly into the exit, so when the guests get off the immediately consider riding again.

Tenebrais posted:

I suppose alternatively you could make your entire path system one long loop with no turns. Full on labyrinth park.

When I started doing this it was amazing how fast the "is lost and can't find the park exit" messages stopped.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've never in my life seen a theme park that charged per ride instead of one ticket so I was very confused the first time i played this. I've also never charged per ride, only at the gate. :colbert:

It's more of a carnival/fairground pricing style. Dedicated theme parks don't really use it all that much.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

EggsAisle posted:

In high school, my summer job was working at the local water park. There was a whole procedure if a Code F incident was called (you're less likely to cause a scene if you say 'code F' into a walkie-talkie as opposed to 'omg there's poop in the pool!' Then everyone would have to get out, a pool attendant would sprinkle some chlorine flakes, and we'd have to wait 20 minutes for all the water to recirculate through the filters.

According to the manager, the practical effect of all this was pretty much zero. It was all theater; any bacteria would have been killed ten times over by the chlorine we had in the water by default. But the guests weren't very well going to be satisfied with that, hence the whole song and dance. I don't remember it ever happening while I was working, which kinda surprised me given how popular we were with families with small children.

Pretty much. Most state regs put it at a level where for solid stuff you just fish it out and everything is good to go, outside of convincing people they still want to be in there. If poop in the water was an actual threat to people kids too young to potty train wouldn't be allowed in. Swim diapers just let water(and piss) flow through, so any kid that takes a dump in their diaper takes a dump in the pool water itself.

Now diarrhea on the other hand... you have to shut down long enough for the whole system to fluctuate a time or two. Which when you're operating a pool measured in hundred's of thousands of gallons of water usually means the rest of the day and maybe a bit of tomorrow.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Been there myself. They sold these armbands that essentially let you ride any ride all day long, or several days. I think they also let you re-enter the park.

Tried getting into RCT several times over the years but never got the hang of it. But luckily Parkitect is eminently playable, though the sound system is kinda buggy/wonky sometimes.

On the other hand, parkitect does not have dinosaurs. There used to be some, it was naturally one of the first mods someone made. But somewhere in early access the mod was lost to the internet.

Meanwhile RCT2 has with an expansion not just dinosaurs, but animatronic dinosaurs.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

One thing I did like about these early levels is that they're clearly structured to teach you the game. Forest frontiers is the literal tutorial designed to teach you how the basic building works. (If you pick the tutorial its literally just forest frontiers with tutorial pop ups) it's flat empty and doesn't have any challenges.

Dynamite dunes then gives you a bunch of steady slopes to teach you about building around them and hands you the dynamite blaster as an example of how going underground is a way around them. Still nothing too difficult and it still gives you plenty of flat land.

And as noted in the update leafy lakes is all about water. Roughly 3/4 of the level is water so there's no avoiding having to build on or around it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Leafy Lakes was my favorite scenario as a kid, mostly because I could keep playing and get really high on all stats as long as I remembered to replace Crazy Caterpillar before a crash killed someone and people stopped wanting to visit :v: (although, bizarrely if there was a crash you could delete the ride and then replace it exactly and it would go back to normal)

Rct1 got so much easier once I figured out that a single brake segment in your ride basically prevented crashes outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Dash Rendar posted:

man who uses brakes?

That's not the real question. The real question is how a 30mph break immediately outside the station magically stops the trains from crashing when the slam into the station at 60.