Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
I'm from Kentucky and living in the UK so that British/Southern fusion chip shop is incredible to me.

I've spent the last decade adapting my recipes and figuring out where to find ingredients here (usually from African and Caribbean stores).

Grits are hard to come by here and polenta doesn't do it for me, but I finally found dried hominy in a store near me so I'm going to try to grind my own soon (and hopefully not destroy my food processor in the process).

My biscuits still don't come out right without White Lily and I would kill for some sorghum though. :(

midori-a-gogo fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I had some of the best fried catfish of my life today and I just want more. Think I might fry some at home this weekend.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

At some point I learned you can make "buttermilk" by souring milk with lemon juice or vinegar and that it only takes about 10 minutes before it can be used. I've successfully used this method in soda bread. Is there any reason it wouldn't work for buttermilk biscuits?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm actually looking for an interesting recipe for country fried steak. Anyone have one?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

pandy fackler posted:

At some point I learned you can make "buttermilk" by souring milk with lemon juice or vinegar and that it only takes about 10 minutes before it can be used. I've successfully used this method in soda bread. Is there any reason it wouldn't work for buttermilk biscuits?

It will work. This is because these breads rely on chemical leavening, which typically requires an acid. Buttermilk is acidic, and adding vinegar or lemon juice to milk will also make it acidic. The acid reacts with the baking soda and boom, rise happens. The milk part just helps the bread be more tender. You could in theory make a biscuit with lemon juice and water to replace the milk - it would work even if it wouldn't be as tasty.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
OP’s recipes for cornbread, purple hull beans, and turnip and beet greens. Kenji Lopez-Alt’s recipes for buttermilk fried chicken and potato salad. Storebought pickled sweet peppers.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 22, 2024

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
Fall means chicken bog time. It's a South Carolina recipe that's basically what you'd get if you turned chicken and rice soup into a stew. I follow, essentially, this Southern Living recipe

My changes:
Use chicken thighs, about a pound and a half. Pan sear and cook them in the pot before you do anything else. You want a good color on them and a good pan fond.
I make 3ish cups of mirepoix and cook it down in the fat and fond from the chicken.
A lot more salt, occasionally using Lawry's red salt

After that I follow the recipe. I like big chunks of carrot sometimes too. It's really forgiving so feel free to mess with it a bunch.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ScamWhaleHolyGrail posted:

Fall means chicken bog time. It's a South Carolina recipe that's basically what you'd get if you turned chicken and rice soup into a stew. I follow, essentially, this Southern Living recipe

My changes:
Use chicken thighs, about a pound and a half. Pan sear and cook them in the pot before you do anything else. You want a good color on them and a good pan fond.
I make 3ish cups of mirepoix and cook it down in the fat and fond from the chicken.
A lot more salt, occasionally using Lawry's red salt

After that I follow the recipe. I like big chunks of carrot sometimes too. It's really forgiving so feel free to mess with it a bunch.

I would of course eat the hell out of this, but I'd have a hard time making it because if I am that close to jambalaya then I'd probably just make jambalaya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Just made biscuits with heavy cream and self rising flour and a little bacon grease and they aren't the best biscuits i ever ate but the :effort: to delicious ratio is off the chart. Gonna try adding some buttermilk powder in next time.

E: upon further testing I've concluded they are a touch dry? But still good, just need some butter or a sausage patty in the middle.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 4, 2024