Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I'm no chef, but I've got all this time and a relevant contribution I got for Christmas.

:effortless:

Sean Brock's South.

Kind of an obvious book for a Southern food thread, but his journey to sobriety compells and encourages me through my own life stuff. I also moved to the South for a number of years and having left, I miss the people, pace and food, so I've been looking for connections.

This book is one.

Beautiful photography and interesting presentations of Brock's philosophy and mission to demand respect for the South's people and culture, through food.

For instance, the South is about as big as Europe.

Is it a good cook book?

Well duh, yes, but I was initially disappointed.

That's on me for expecting easy Southern recipes from Sean Brock. Which isn't to say he couldn't, but this book is about making a case for hyper regional Southern kitchens.

Like cooking over a big-rear end fire.

Brock's book is a library of several Southern regions. Most recipes call for a regional ingredient or vinegar, sauce, pickled component requiring hours or days to prepare ahead of time.

If you build your pantry according to South, you'll get rich, complex dishes of which many have only experienced in the lowest form. Waffle House, grits in a box, gravy from powder, etc. There's a lot of reasons why everyone sees Southern food as Waffle House, boxed grits and powdered gravy (by no means talking poo poo on Waffle House). South touches on those, but the main focus is phenomenally great food.

That's part of what makes it challenging for someone like me, who's ability stops at following a complex recipe and flavoring food well. A cookbook with a pantry section intimidates me.

Brilliant stuff. I'm not about to convert my kitchen or pantry to this level, so it's more an aspirational book for my ability and commitment to cooking.

It's inspiring and totally awesome though, so you should buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Hey there southern food goons. I'm about to start development on a biscuits and gravy recipe and was hoping to get y'all's opinions before I get started. I'll be doing plenty of experimenting and can end up answering most of these, but would love a head start with advice from some goons.

Biscuits. For biscuits and gravy, is the buttermilk biscuit still king even for this application? I imagine that I'll end up with some butter content still, but we have a pretty good supply of lard, and an absolutely overwhelming amount of tallow, so going to need to use a good bit of both. Current thinking is to use lard for the gravy roux, and tallow/butter for the biscuits. Any thoughts?

I'm going to try out a low protein flour like White Lilly. "Northern" biscuits don't taste the same, because most flour up here has higher protein. Probably worth your time.

I throw an acid in everything, and I'd throw it in gravy, too. Not enough to pick it out. You could do lemon, vinegar, buttermilk. I guess your biscuits could have it if you went with buttermilk. I just hate boring gravy.

Something funky like white pepper cause why not.

I'm thinking the next time I make gravy I'll try to sneak some mushrooms. Maybe sautee bellas in sausage fat and puree?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

mediaphage posted:

If you don’t overwork your dough you really don’t need to track down white lily. I use canadian AP flours (and also whole wheat, even), which are stronger than most US flours, to make my biscuits and they always turn out great.

Not that into the idea of lemon in my sausage gravy but you do you

We're not making lemon gravy, lmao. If you didn't know it was there you'd never guess. Just enough to tell your tongue "sour" without adding flavor.

I'll have to try out the different flours. I'm pretty convinced a lower protein flour is going to make a difference, even after accounting for technique. Whether that difference is better or not dunno

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

This is beautiful. I'd read any of your test notes, any time.