Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oh thank god. The Fiance picked up a bag of Collard Greens from Stop And Shop because it was the only green leafy vegetable left. I don't even know how they got here, this is New Jersey. Who eats collards up here? Despite living in the south for ten years, I never got the trick of making good collards (only really tried twice, something was very swampy and sulfurous about them). Do you have to boil them? We really like stir fried greens, mostly cabbage or spinach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The Fiance comes from a land where it is not uncommon to cook greens for hours. Stuff like spinach and cabbage. I was appalled at first, but it's usually really good. I just ask that he not cook the cabbage to death.

I'll ease myself in with fried collards. Should be good with a pork chop :p

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

mediaphage posted:

I like some collards now and then, but I am not a fan of spinach cooked to death.

I've actually been into dehydrating greens a lot, later. Not like, in a dehydrator, but in the microwave. It's an interesting change of pace.

It's weirdly not cooked to death, it's cooked to death and somehow zombified into deliciousness. Also, I think the spinach over there isn't English leaf type, but a different green entirely. But it works.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
ok fine collards are great y'all win

Made stewed collards with fried white crappie I caught this morning. All turned out dang good.

I did cheat and use bacon instead of salt pork, because I cant get out to the store right now,

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bacon. I much prefer it to salt pork because a lot of time salt pork isn’t smoked or isn’t heavily smoked.

Those crappie look delicious. How did you fry them?

My uncle is one of those people who can eat whole bass/bream/catfish and leave nothing behind but the cartoonish fish skeleton, and I have no idea how he does it.

Now I want some fried catfish but my kitchen is terrible for frying since it has no exhaust anywhere :(

I caught them at about 1pm, gutted them at 2, coated them with gator seasoning ( salt, celery, paprika, black pepper) and let them chill in the fridge, then I dredged them in AP and shallow fried in canola at 6:30. I topped the collards with the pan drippings. Fish was delicious! White crappie are excellent eating fresh water fish. Great for the freezer as well.

Normally I freeze freshwater fish a few days to kill parasites, but it's spring and the water is still pretty cool. Lower risk of parasites. I also made sure to cook beyond 145°

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 6, 2020