Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
On the greens question, a trick I picked up from a restaurant in Texas is to stir-fry greens just enough for them to start to wilt, then drop about 1-2 tablespoons of pico de gallo in and keep it on the heat just a minute or so until the pico juice evaporates a bit. It makes amazingly flavorful greens, as long as you've got good fresh pico on hand. It works best with tender greens like spinach or baby kale, rather than stewing greens like collards or mustard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

My great-grandma was born in central Texas in 1899 and made the best drat black-eyed peas that I ever ate.

After she died (in 2006 no less), I told my grandma that I kept trying to make black-eyed peas and couldn't make them as good as Muddie did.

She replied "She put a pound of bacon in the pot."

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

got off on a technicality posted:

1:1 ratio of self-raising flour to cream by weight makes near-perfect biscuits every time. Slop it into a mixing bowl and use your hands. Don't overmix. Sometimes I like to brush with butter before baking. Other biscuit recipes might be fractionally better, but the simplicity of this one is amazing

Imma try this, what temperature do you cook them at?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

I made a cup of self-rising flour with bread flour, which came to 178g. Added 178g of cream, roughly mixed and patted it into 1 inch thick dough and cut into squares, baked at 425 for 10 minutes in pre-heated iron skillet.

Texture was great, way better than I expected. Only complaint was that they were slightly too loose. Flavor was good but not amazing.

All in all a hell of a recipe considering it took 12 minutes from nothing to biscuits.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Croatoan posted:

I don't because I'm not a fan but honestly when I've seen it done, your Grandpa was about 9/10 the way there, I see why he did it the way he did. I've only seen super strong coffee used to deglaze a country ham pan. I could be wrong and there's some amazing version I don't know of so by all means, someone help this guy.

Basically this - red eye gravy is just using coffee to deglaze a pan you cooked ham in. Some people love it, some hate it. Personally I think it's good as a flavoring to bland carbs (biscuits, grits, etc) but it's not what I think of when I think of gravy.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think really the cured part is probably more important than smoked. Isn't British bacon still cured/salted? Ham or something would be good, or some other cut with with lots of fat/connective tissue. IDK exactly what cut a belly pork joint is, but I'd guess that would be your best bet. Beef brisket might be good too, though a different flavor. It's tough stuff with lots of flavor and connective tissue. Basically whatever bone/joint you'd use to make soup/stock with would be fine.

You also don't really need the meat. I've done them vegetarian with just broth, onion, pepper, and some olive oil, or you can add some gelatin to get that lip-smacking collagen that the ham hock provides.

I'm that vanishingly rare thing, a vegetarian southerner, and IMO good collards and beans are doable without meat but it's harder. You need something to replace the fat and the umami that they bring. A good start is cooking the onions long enough to caramelize them, adding extra garlic, and adding a dash of soy sauce or braggs helps. Smoked paprika as mentioned is really good, and I like to use a lot of olive oil or butter to up the fat content.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What’s everyone’s favorite baby yellow squash preparation? I’m about to be buried in them from the garden. Sliced, lightly bread in cornmeal and fry? Sautéed with onions and some bacon grease?

Personally, both fried and sauteed is good but my favorite is stuffed - halve it, scoop out the insides with a spoon, sautee the guts with onions and garlic and celery and whatever seasonings you want then mix it with breadcrumbs and cheese. Rub the halved squash with olive oil (and celery salt and sage if you want), then put the filling in & over it and bake until the top is crispy. If you're not veggie then bacon and sausage are an awesome addition.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

empty sea posted:

I feel you. I mostly had grits from Cracker Barrel as a kid and they were awful. Just bland and blah. The only time I had good grits was as an adult from a Creole restaurant and they were cooked fine and just doused in butter and seasonings and cheese.

Grits with proper seasoning and cheese are loving fantastic, like mashed potatoes but better. Just, so good. Grits without a fuckton of seasonings and cheese and butter or fats are horrible.

I made some killer grits this weekend with some locally ground corn from a hipster bakery that has set up a 100 year old milling machine and is milling grain directly. Other than the inch-long wood splinter, presumably from the 100 year old machine, they were awesome. I made about two cups, and added two pressed garlic cloves, some salt and butter, and about a half cup of shredded cheese directly to the pot and that was enough to give them a great depth of flavor.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

pleasecallmechrist posted:

Alright y'all. Came a bit to the thread but I can effort post like a mofo on this one. Learned to cook from my TN and GA grandmother's. Still live round here. All my love to anyone who opens their table to others.

Cookbook recommendations:

The Southerner's Cookbook-Garden & Gun

Slight aside, but anybody interested in the south needs to check out Garden & Gun. I love it because it perfectly encapsulates the south to me - it's got a good appreciation of high & lowbrow southern culture, it's got a certain amount of tongue-in-cheek awareness of the poo poo that's nuts about the south, and it's willing to call out the things that need to change but it's also got a massive amount of straight presentation of stuff that's batshit insane but the editors don't necessarily seem to realize it.

They had a writeup of bourbon that dug into the differences between Pappy Van Winkle and Weller that was built around a bourbon tasting organized by a local chef that involved roughly a dozen people drinking 24 bottles of bourbon over the course of about eight hours and then going out to get hosed up *afterwards*.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What are quick southern-ish meat/protein dishes that come to mind?

I sear a ham steak real quick sometimes, but I'd love some more ideas for things to eat with my million vegetables.

Snapbeans with onions and bacon grease, butterbeans, and a kind of lame smothered chicken breast tonight.

Generically, I'd say chicken-fried whatever you've got, pan-grilled pork or beef with veggies cooked in the grease, any meat stewed with greens are all pretty typical southern (not solely southern of course, but typical dinner food).

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Nth agree that food purist debates are just dick-waving, eat what tastes good to you.

This is currently my go-to recipe for cornmeal, which the author presents as a kind of cornbread but to me is closer to a pupusa - it's skillet-fried cornmeal mush, and if you do it right it's a killer base for beans or greens.

https://slate.com/culture/2014/07/hoecakes-recipe-and-history-how-the-southern-cornbread-got-its-name.html

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

pleasecallmechrist posted:

I also have a metric poo poo ton of chili peppers so besides pickling them and making pepper vinegar, y'all have any ideas?

This is more south Asian than the American South, but I love sambal in all its forms and I always make a jar when the garden comes in. If you google sambal recipe you'll get a million of them, but they all boil down to chili + aromatics + oil + umami sauce, and it's really up to you what variation and what amount you want for all of that. I usually go with a paste made from a handful of dried bird peppers, a few fresh garden peppers of whatever type, 2-3 cloves of raw garlic, some olive oil, and a splash of braggs and some rice vinegar and some salt all roughly chopped in a food processor. Other common recipes include frying onion and garlic first, using fish sauce or dried shrimp as well, adding sweeteners or coconut milk, and/or roasting the peppers. It's pretty mix-and-match, so experiment until you find what works for you personally. Then add it liberally to anything.

See: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/sauces/sambal-oelek-recipe/; https://www.nyonyacooking.com/recipes/sambal-nasi-lemak~HkVJdwiPMcZ7

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

God, I love okra. I pickled some the other week and it is excellent straight out of the jar too.

I am so pissed at myself - I've lost about half my garden yield this year by waiting too long so they got woody and inedible. I kept thinking "nah, that's too small and I'll give it a day" and then they're too big.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone have a favorite fried catfish recipe? I haven't done it in a long time. I used to marinade in buttermilk and then dredge but that was kind of heavy and gloppy.

I have never succeeded to my standards in frying either catfish (or cornmeal breaded tofu after I went veg) or okra , I don't have any idea what the secret is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does frozen cut okra work fine in okra and tomatoes? I’ve only ever used fresh.

Yeah, it's fine but the texture is mushier. Fresh is best, blanched and frozen at home from fresh is second best IME, and commercially frozen is a little mushier and less flavorful, but still better than no okra.