Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I mean, grits are just polenta. You've had good polenta, right? Treat grits the same way.

I just had breakfast but now I want some grits yum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You make schweinshaxe. Which is southern in that German food is a thing that exists in the south. But that's what I'd do.

Otherwise, a long braise and then serve it with Lima beans and something to soak up the broth, like rice or something.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Those peas look legit. Greens too. Hell it all looks good.

And you know, this is something that a lot of people who only see the bbq and fried stuff don't understand - proper southern cookery is primarily a vegetable cuisine. I mean, meat and three, or whole meals made of beans and cornmeal, the presence of a million and a half days to stew tough leaves. I would love it if that part of the cuisine got more credit.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 13, 2020

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Fresh field peas are showing up in my local produce market. I cooked some pink-eyes and zipper peas the other day that were really good with baby squash casserole. They had some good snap beans too so I did snap beans and red potatoes. I don't know what it is about boiling snap beans with potatoes that makes them both taste so much better but dang they're good, no pork required.

There's a lot of msg to be found in snap peas. Some old hill people types used to smoke them in the chimney and use them as a bacon replacement for flavoring.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's like, the best of British fried fish culture and American fried fish culture all rolled in to one! Need some clam strips and chips with a side of greens now.

This reminds me - a new soul food place just opened in my neighborhood in Vegas, taking over for an old Filipino cafeteria. On the windows they've written words such as "yams", "chitterlings", and "neck bones with rice". I haven't been since they opened, but I'll go soon. All sides $1!

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

pandy fackler posted:

At some point I learned you can make "buttermilk" by souring milk with lemon juice or vinegar and that it only takes about 10 minutes before it can be used. I've successfully used this method in soda bread. Is there any reason it wouldn't work for buttermilk biscuits?

It will work. This is because these breads rely on chemical leavening, which typically requires an acid. Buttermilk is acidic, and adding vinegar or lemon juice to milk will also make it acidic. The acid reacts with the baking soda and boom, rise happens. The milk part just helps the bread be more tender. You could in theory make a biscuit with lemon juice and water to replace the milk - it would work even if it wouldn't be as tasty.