Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've been digging through threads trying to figure out state of the art of compact cameras, so I'm going to Just Post and see if someone can point me in the right direction.

More than a decade ago, I had a Nikon D60 and a couple lenses. I really loved it, took it on a bunch of travel, and ended up keeping the 35mm/1.8 FX lens on it most of the time. Years passed, phone cameras got better by leaps and bounds, and I stopped traveling as much, and I sold off all the lenses for like 80% of what I paid for them, and the body for dirt cheap because it was 10MP.

I'm looking for a compact fixed-lens camera that has a substantially better sensor than high-end phone cameras, but I'd also like to spend less than $1000. $1k is more than I spent on my photography hobby last time around, thanks to how dirt cheap Nikon crop-sensor stuff was back then. I'm looking for something that I'll keep on me to take good pictures of kids & family for myself, and also something that I can pack along on bike rides to whip out and take pictures of interesting moments. I took a look around at the type of device that I think I'm looking for, and I'm floored by how much point & shoot cameras cost nowadays. I'm A-OK with a fixed lens, but not opposed to a high-quality zoom lens either. Shortlist of things that I'm looking at, and the eye-watering prices:

• Sony RX100 VII - $1300
  • Fuji X100V - $1400!
  • Fuji XF10 - $500, and looks like a minimal if any upgrade over flagship smartphone cameras.
  • Ricoh GR III - $900 and a host of suspiciously negative reviews like https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/ricoh/gr.htm#rex

Am I missing something? Should I be looking for a mirrorless body + pancake lens instead? Should I track down one of the most compact DSLR bodies and stick a prime on there? My D60 was pretty dang small in the first place, I'd hope that more modern Nikon stuff is smaller. Based on a look around, I think the Fuji X100 is exactly what I'm dreaming of, but that price is really hard for me to swallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU