Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

grassy gnoll posted:

My plan is to take pictures of still objects from fairly close up, mostly scale models and the occasional cat or human.

I found a reasonably good price for a Sony A77 and a 35mm f/1.8 lens. One of my friends is really ride-or-die for Fuji and is recommending a X-T1 and the Fujinon 23mm f/2 lens, on the grounds that the Fuji film gimmicks will give better color results. If I decide to start shooting things that aren't staged lumps of plastic, the Fuji definitely seems like less of a pain to haul around.

Are either of these options terrible choices, and if I'm pretty comfortable doing post-processing work, is the Fuji genuinely going to make a difference as far as color reproduction goes?

Fuji is known for nice jpgs in camera, if you like that style then go for it, if you want to post process any camera that shoots RAW is great once you learn how to use it. If you want to to shoot small scale models consider a macro lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Dimebag posted:

Hey, was looking for a little advice. I like to photo journal while I play golf and want to make the move from phone to camera.

Its mainly landscape and nature shots around the courses, a few shots per hole so if like to be able to pick up and shoot so no lens swapping but also something rugged that won't flake if it cops a little sprinkle.
Why do you feel you want a camera over your phone? What phone are you currently using?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Camera phone are still better than compacts, compacts are generally only really recommended if you want a bit more reach without packing a mirrorless/DSLR. The multi lens configs and computational HDR/Night/Portrait modes that they packing so much R&D into beating each other with between Apple/Google on the flagship/higher end phones etc is really making phones the go to for general whip it out type photographs.

TL;DR Cameras is the current distinguishing feature for higher end smartphones, take advantage.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

President Beep posted:

Does any camera manufacturer make a cell phone app that isn’t terrible to use?

For editing?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

President Beep posted:

I’m thinking more of the PTSD-inducing transfer/tethering apps I’ve used from Sony and Canon.

There are third party tethering apps, I use QDSLR Dashboard for field focus bracketing, it's better but still not great. Reading the forums for remote apps most of the issues seem to stem from the clunky way the remote control protocol works rather than the apps themselves.