Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

lofi posted:

I'm trying to work out if it's worth upgrading my ancient P&S (a Sony Cybershot, if that means anything to anyone), and if a better P&S would suit my needs or if I'd need to get serious DSLR gear.

Mostly what I'm after is getting shots of environments for art references - I don't need many features, but my currents P&S chokes on... well, anything less than daylight. I guess my question is whether a decent P&S could deal with shooting in the dark (I don't need action shots, so I'm fine with long exposure times) or is that just something point and shoot cameras inherently can't do well?

The solution to low light is the biggest sensor and widest aperture you can get at the price point you're willing to spend. Usually that comes with DSLR or mirrorless bodies and removable lenses with a f4 or faster aperture. Most point and shoots don't have large large sensors so even if they have f1.8, 2.8 etc lenses it doesn't make up the difference in sensor size.

If a fixed wide-angle would be sufficient, I really like my Fuji XF10. It's got an APS-C (same as most consumer DSLRs and mirrorless cameras under ~$1k) sized sensor and a f2.8 lens so it's about as good as you're going to get without jumping to a APS-C or FF DSLR or mirrorless body, let alone something pocket sized. It's fairly affordable at $450-500 depending on where you look https://amzn.to/2zrgxIO and takes nice photos in either JPG or RAW.

Samples from mine:

Congee by charliebravo77, on Flickr

XF10 Test by charliebravo77, on Flickr

CO/SD/WY 2019 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

CO/SD Snapshots by charliebravo77, on Flickr

80D vs XF10 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

80D vx XF10 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yeah, if I were starting out these days (and somehow knew what I do now) and wanted APS-C it'd be really, really hard to not go with Fuji.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

GenJoe posted:

Not having a viewfinder is definitely something I'm a little worried about. Reviews online are a mixed bag -- some say they don't mind it at all, and other's say it's tricky for daytime shots or telling what exactly is in focus. Landscapes are going to be my primary focus. I like the pocketability aspect for sure but I'm not married to it, and I don't think I want to go higher than the ~400 price point.

I have the XF10 (see about halfway up the page) and really like it now that I've learned its limitations and quirks. Super bright daytime shots do make the screen a little problematic but you can enable manual focusing with focus peaking and really solve a lot of problems. I've had mine for about a year so if you have specific questions I would be happy to answer them.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The XF10 appears to be discontinued and I have heard of people picking them up for $300-400 lately. Here's a localish place to me with it for $429: https://procam.com/fujifilm-xf10-digital-camera-black

I really, really like mine now that I've had it for a year and learned its quirks. It's surprisingly capable and produces great images if you are willing to live with the wide angle. It's most definitely an improvement over smartphones since it's got an APS-C sensor in it.

I use mine exactly as you described - basically any time I want to have a "real" camera with me but don't want to carry my DSLR.

Congee by charliebravo77, on Flickr

WI Squirrel Round 2 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

80D vs XF10 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

My biggest complaint is that the smartphone transfer and live shooting is fuckin garbage. Originally it worked most of the time, then only occasionally, and now it won't sync At. All. and it's not uncommon from what I've seen on the fuji-x forums. I bought a USB-C SD reader to transfer to my phone which not only is faster but will copy RAW images unlike the app though, so it's tolerable now.