Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
There are a number of large sensor compacts that do well enough. Or get a tripod.

In body stabilization helps a lot for shooting still subjects handheld. A micro four thirds set up is probably less than a premium compact, especially if you buy used, and may get you longer handheld shots than an unstabilized full frame camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You can get some good bargains if you shop used and locally, but for something worthwhile it will probably be a couple hundred bucks. A lx100 is less than $300 used, an rx100 iii a little more. There are a lot of micro four thirds bodies you could get for ~$200, and probably another $100-$150 on a 20mm or 25mm f1.7 if low light shooting is most important.

If it is still subjects for reference, your phone's composite night photography mode is probably better than a small sensor compact. Or anything and a tripod.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Nothing wrong with it necessarily, but the two previous models (d3400 and d3300) are very similar and you can probably pick up a kit used for a less if you want an entry level crop nikon.

Nikon offers just one normal apsc prime lens (the 35mm 1.8) so the system isn't the best for future upgrades. Canon offers a wider 24mm as well and less expensive used fullframe lenses (the older nikon stuff is screw drive which the d3*** models can't do).

You could also get a previous gen mirrorless camera with kit or prime lens used for a similar price. Fuji apsc is very well supported.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Prime lenses tend to be faster (smaller f number) so they can shoot in low light better, give more blurry backgrounds, and are generally better quality optically, but don't zoom in and out. Nikon makes lots of apsc zoom lenses and prime lenses designed for the larger sensor fullframe cameras, but most of these will be more expensive than the camera body and kit lens. But the one normal apsc prime lens they do offer, the 35mm 1.8, is a good lens and might be all you need. The fullframe 50mm 1.8 is also cheap and makes a good portrait lens on the d3***.

Lenses will be more zoomed in on an apsc camera than a fullframe one, so it can be harder to get a lens as wide as you want at a reasonable price. If you want to do wide shots (indoors where space is tight, some styles of architectural and landscape shooting) the options are more limited than on other systems.

The fuji doesn't make fullframe cameras so there are more lenses made just for the smaller sensor apsc cameras, so they can be smaller and more options are available. The cameras can also be smaller as they don't have a mirror for the optical viewfinder (some have an evf, a screen in place of the optical viewfinder, or just a screen on the back).

You get a better deal if you buy used equipment, and you can always get your money back out if you decide it is not for you, or if you want to upgrade to a better camera in the future.

There are also many other mirrorless camera systems. Besides fuji the other mature ones (with lots of lenses and cheap used bodies available) are sony and micro four thirds from panasonic or olympus.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
If you are going to be shooting jpegs I wouldn't buy an old sony. Buying an A-mount camera is a strange choice unless it is an obscenely good deal or you already have a bunch of A-mount lenses.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The x70 is the more fully featured but older 28mm from Fuji. That, GR/GR ii, and Coolpix A are a little older but better/more capable than the xf10 in a number of ways.

I had a number of entry level camera system (and an a7) but wound up just using the GR ii for everything and sold them. Even though it had been a good solution for me, your money may go further elsewhere if you don't want a pocketable camera.

I got the GR iii refurbished for $600, but I think even used they are a little more than that.

A fixed lens compact can be limiting, especially one with a fixed screen. The rx100 series might be better for you, image quality might not be as good as some of the fixed lens options, but it is more than good enough for most uses, and has an evf, flip screen, capable autofocus, zoom lens, etc.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
A fixed lens compact is definitely a camera for a pretty niche group of people, I definitely wouldn't have settled on it as my only camera if I hadn't learned on something else.

If it doesn't need to fit in your pants pocket there are many used interchangeable lens cameras still in your budget, many of which fit just fine in a jacket pocket. The fuji x-t10 or x-e2 and 18-55mm are in your price range, although a little over budget if your buying used from a retailer.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The 27mm is ~40mm fullframe equivalent would be pretty cramped as your only lens, but maybe enough for when you need a compact setup when paired with the 18-55mm for other occasions. The fuji 18mm (~28mm equivalent like the xf10) is not as small, but probably still jacket pocketable, but doesn't have the great reputation of the 27mm.

Panasonic also offers pancake lenses in 28mm and 40mm equivalent focal lengths for micro four thirds. Micro four thirds also offers a number of pancake kit zooms.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Most reasonably priced, reasonably sized options aren't weather sealed, but you can get a covering for something else.

The g1x III is weather sealed and reasonably small, but you could do better for the money even if you got a good deal on one used.

If you don't want an interchangeable lens camera you should also consider upgrading your phone, many higher end ones have multi camera setups now, and comparable image quality to even premium compacts with zoom lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You can use a camera phone if you are happy with the quality of the pictures they take. That said even the xf10 takes much higher quality pictures than cellphone cameras (and a step above the rx100 series too). The question is whether it matters for what you want to do with your images.

I shoot primarily on a gr iii, which I got refurbished from ricoh for $600. They don't have any right now, but here is the deal page. They get stock in periodically. The autofocus definitely isn't class leading, but I have heard complaints of the xf10's autofocus performance as well. Optically the only big problem is terrible vignetting. It isn't a camera for everyone, but I really love the images. Crops at 35mm/50mm equivalent are also very usable, so it isn't that limiting.

There are many older generation fixed lens 28mm premium compacts on the used market too: fuji x70, ricoh gr i/ii, coolpix a.

You shouldn't trust anything you read from ken rockwell. That review is also of the gr (not gr iii), which is pretty much the same as the gr ii.

My actual recommendation is a used fuji x100s/t/f. A fixed lens, fixed screen, no evf compact is a pretty niche thing, you'll probably find the evf/ovf experience more enjoyable.

The update to the x100v was a big one, but I'm not sure if I would spend the money right out of the gate. And if you buy used you can always sell and upgrade without losing much, if you do decide it is right for you.

I would personally prefer a compact to a smaller body and lens, if I wasn't changing lenses. Besides being pocketable, a big advantage for me a is a high shutter sync speeds, so you can use a flash even while shooting wide open in bright sun.