Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I saw the anime, immediately fell in love and got a BookWalker account and bought all the light novels of this series I could. Never have I been so gripped by a series and I’ve enjoyed every moment of it.

Fenrisulfr posted:

The LN does go into a bit of detail about the parents' relationship, though it's pretty much what you'd get from context. Basically Motherina was convinced that Fatherina (I enjoy these names and thus will immediately steal them) didn't care for her and that theirs was only a political marriage, and Fatherina was convinced that Motherina hated him because he rushed their engagement after falling in love at first sight. True to the Bakarina name, they remained absolutely sure they knew what the other person was feeling for years until a third party forced them to actually talk about it, after which they became disgustingly lovey-dovey.

To expand on this, after Katarina falls on Keith when she was climbing the tree. After dinner that day, Motherina summons her, Keith and Fatherina into her room and then asks a divorce from Fatherina, feeling ashamed about Katarina’s troublemaker tendencies and wishing him to marry Keith’s non-existent mother so that he could find true happiness. She even tries to get Katarina to pack her things and leave the estate with her before Fatherina clears up the misunderstanding.

While I am sad that this was glossed over because the whole scenario is pretty hilarious in and of itself, I can understand the need to trim the storyline in order to focus on the important things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Agronox posted:

Thanks for expanding on that everyone. Glad to see that "complete obliviousness to others' feelings" runs in the family.

To be honest, this is basically this anime in a nutshell.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Roth posted:

Please god get gayer

Judging from the source material, god is listening.

Also, I am unaware about the manga, but the light novel has a section devoted to Anne. I'm not sure if it is going to be adapted, but I'm happy to discuss some Anne stories that would be around this point if people would be up for listening to them. I don't believe it will spoil any future plots as it's mostly about why Anne followed Katarina to the school and her relationship with her.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I'm going to talk about the maid, Anne Sherry, who is Katarina's primary maid and the one we see interact with her the most throughout the anime. She was born between Baron Shelley and one of his servants and was raised in a small home that was outside of the Baron's residence. Her mother brought her up to just say and do anything to please the Baron and to never think of rebelling against him, which she did. Due to this, she was able to live a pretty unrestricted life free as she was never summoned by the Baron until she was 15 when a fire happened in the room next to hers that killed her mother and gave her large burn scars on her back. After this, she was summoned to the Baron's residence and was essentially told that due to her scars, she no longer could be used by him for political marriages and was now useless to him and told her to get out. The Claes were a distant relative of hers and were looking for maids. Having no place to go, Anne decided to join the Claes household.

Anne was assigned to be the personal maid of Katarina, whose attitude basically lead to most maids not lasting very long with her. In order to survive, she basically took up the same tactic she did before in saying and doing anything Katarina wanted. Then Katarina hit her head and became the lovable idiot we all know. At first, she had no idea how to please her as she was so used to growing up around selfish people and realised she never really had a will of her own. She eventually started to learn to speak of her own accord and no longer praising her or affirming everything she did like she was used to. However, Katarina's lack of cruelty towards her lead her to develop a sense of respect for her mistress. She all got a "shoulder massage ticket" for her birthday from her alongside "wooden carvings of a strange, unidentified lifeform" that she kept packed safely away. While Katarina constantly exhausted her, she found the times she spent with her full of laughter and happiness and at some point resolved that she wanted to stay with Katarina for as long as she could.

After a few years (the light novel doesn't specify, but this is before Katarina leaves for the Magic Academy), Anne suddenly receives a letter from Baron Shelley saying that he arranged an engagement for her and she should come back to his residence as soon as possible. Owing to the fact that she wanted to stay with Katarina and was confused about why she was engaged considering the Baron's last words to her, she ignored the letter until the Baron appeared at the Claes residence to bring her back. Essentially, the viscount the baron engaged Anne to had rumours of having more lovers than you could count on your hands and likely paid the baron lots of money to secure the engagement.

As Anne was about to fall into despair and go back with the baron, Katarina burst into the room and grabbed Anne's arm while begging Baron Shelley to cancel the engagement because she needed Anne by her side and wanted her to stay. Needless to say, Anne nearly cried in happiness at seeing Katarina's plea as she realised that it was her that allowed her to find her own will and voice. Katarina's actions cause the marriage to be called into question and Duke Claes found out about the dubious circumstances around the arrangement and cancelled it. The duke (Fatherina) even offered to find Anne a better suitor considering she was of age to be wed, but she decided to stay with Katarina.

It was only later that Katarina realised that normally Anne would be wedded off around her age instead of being her maid and told her if she wanted to leave her service to marry, she totally could. Anne had no desire to be married off and was perfectly happy staying under the service of Katarina. In fact, she states at the end of her chapter that her only wish is to live on always at the side of Katarina.

All in all, Anne is a cool character and while I'm sad that she gets overlooked, she has a really compelling story and also is like semi-adjacent to the Bakarina harem that she unintentionally develops. Though I doubt she would try and keep Katarina to herself, she still has a deep admiration and respect for her and I think it's cool to get an insight into her perspective. Sorry it's long, but there's a surprising amount of content in just a single chapter of the light novel.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do we know if succession is agonatic or cognatic? Is she actually in the line to become duchess?

I believe it's mentioned that they adopted Keith because Katarina was going to be married to Gerald and thus losing the family name so they needed someone to carry it on for them. Not sure if that helps.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I see all the gay ships triumphed over her straight ships. All is right in the world.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

This episode showed why Mary is one of my favourite Bakarina characters. Girl is determined to win Katarina’s heart and that determination deserves praise alone.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So that’s pretty much 2 episodes of filler. While it’s not the greatest content, I still enjoy it and look forward to the main plot.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Mary once again proves she’s the best character in the show barring Katarina. She had me laughing this entire episode, especially when she saw Alan’s desire for like a second and then immediately snapped the book shut.

Btw, there is a post-credits scene between Katarina and Alan which is really good and made my heart go doki doki. All the Katarina ships are far too strong.

Also, Gerold really wants to gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

God this was a good episode. The whole dreamscape was everything I wanted and when Katarina was saying goodbye to Acc-chan, I almost cried. Seeing everyone try to cope with losing Katarina was also great. I know this show isn’t revolutionary in terms of new concepts, but it executes on what it is so well. Honestly, having the filler contents to get more attached to the characters really helps episodes like these. So glad I picked this show up.