Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What is... a Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a game made of dreams and wishful thinking. It's what everyone's been asking for or about since 1995, when people saw the game on the Nintendo 64 and were like "we need to remake this thing". It's what everyone kinda wanted once they saw Knights of the Round in FFXIV, and also Gold Saucer in FFXIV, and so on and so forth.

If you're here, there are very high chances you've been waiting or following this thing at least since 2015. And here we are. First I thought of doing a straight non-comparative blind playthrough, but I don't think that would work. Truth is, if you're here you probably have played the original, or read my old LP, and you know the 97 game inside-out. Hell, you probably know more about the actual FF7R than me by the time this OP is up. So friends, let's skip the filler, and address the elephant in the room: We're starting from where we stopped - the '97 game.

LP Rules

* This thread expects you to know the original game to some extent, but not the new one, so pay attention: SPOILERS OF THE OLD GAME ARE ALLOWED. There's a reason for this: This game expects you to know FF7, Kitase has said publicly that by now everyone knows the original and thus the game was designed to a world where the original has been fully spoiled. If you are reading this, and you have never played or experienced the original in any manner, please consider reading my Let's Play of the original.
* My first LP playthrough will be the live notes of my first blind play through the game. That means I might revisit the game after, and do an in-depth analysis of it, but first I'm going blind. By blind I mean I haven't been as of yet spoiled anything, not even the final trailer.
As for the posting rules, there are currently three threads for FFVII, one in GBS, one in Games and a Spoiler thread in Games. Our thread is gonna play exactly like the original LP - We can only talk about content we've seen in the thread. So if Sephiroth dies at the end of Game 1 or something stupid like that happens, there are three other threads to discuss it.

Don't worry I don't think it will take another 4 years to finish this.

* NO NEW FF7R-EXCLUSIVE SPOILERS. Apparently there's a bunch of stuff in the Remake that's not present in the original. Don't talk about anything beyond what we've seen. There's a thread for FF7R Spoilers here.
* Comparisons are unavoidable, but I'll play the game as is, for what it is. As much as we like to make fun of Nomura, everyone worked a lot on this, let's see what it's got with a positive mindset and laugh as I fail miserably at that!

Thread Rules

* As before, talking about other Final Fantasies or J-RPGs is allowed. You can go off-topic as much as you want.
* As an addendum, do not talk about other posts. Like "People need to stop discussing X". As long as it's not a terrible nitpick debates, you can go crazy on tangents.
* Again, NO SPOILERS. This includes fake spoilers, wink-winking about spoilers, or eliminating possibilities about which we can't draw a conclusion yet. Last time we did great with this folks, let's pull off an encore.

Support the LP!

If you like the FF7R LP or if you've enjoyed my writings in the past, please consider supporting me on Patreon! Every contribution really counts.
https://www.patreon.com/elentorlp

So without further ado, let's start shall we?

Content:

Opening:
Update 1 - Photobombing Mission - [Bonus]
Chapter 1:
Update 2 - Breaking into the Reactor - [Bonus]
Update 3 - "May-Ko"
Update 4 - Exposition - [Bonus]
Update 5 - Fire Hazard
Update 6 - Reactor 1 was an Inside Job - [Bonus]
Chapter 2:
Update 7 - Cult of Personality
Update 8 - Aftermath - [Bonus]
Update 9 - Zé Farofa
Update 10 - Flowers
Update 11 - Filler - [Bonus]
Update 12 - Moral High Ground

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update 1 - Photobombing Mission

Bonus Next

Okay listen, we waited really long for this thing to come out, so we are gonna savor every moment of it, and that includes the opening.

The opening for FF7R is a very extended version of the original, showing Midgar before crisis. There are three ways to see the opening. The one from the demo is just the original cut. The one in the official Youtube Channel looks amazing. Let's load up the game!

Why, that's certainly a gorgeous background. Unrelated to it, have you ever wanted to see every major company logo in the world paraded in a single page? Well there we go! https://www.world-creator.com/

I'm just saying, that company has a really impressive resume is all.

The clouds reveal Midgar's silhouette. Not gonna lie, that gave me goosebumps. Also, it's pretty funny how in order to preserve the scale from the original, Shinra Building just really has to become an Everest-sized behemoth. Seriously, look at the size of that thing compared to the mountains.

Oh, huh. That's an interesting choice, to add the credits to the opening. A bit old-school, but I figure all these people deserve recognition.

NOMURAAAA :argh:

Tag yourself. I am the GIGANTIC TUBE passing through the building to the right.

I know this is a weird comparison, but I've always wanted a Midgar SimCity skin pack ever since I played the thing. Remember how SimCity 2k had support for skins and mods?

So the thing about these credits is just how shiny they are. There's a huge flash of teal light every time they show up.

After a while I just gave up on rewatching the cinematic and just paid attention to the names, so in that regard mission accomplished.

Sometimes I have to believe Uematsu is just playing a character at this point. Everything about him is too friendly and nice. "Dog Ear" has got to be the most innocent-sounding name ever. Like, there's nothing evil about dog ears. Your memory of dog ears are either you petting them and seeing your buddy's reaction, or your poor thing getting sick and you taking care of it. There's no single soul who's ever been like "a dog ear cut me once".

So, the new opening is pretty on the nose, and that's fine by me. It's a tour through Midgar's decadence disguised as ascension.

We all know exactly what that hand is. I know you know it. You want the catharsis, right? Here:

Wheee!

The dying flower is a nice symbol, because while it shows how devastating Mako reactors are even in their infancy, it also contrasts with Aeris' ability to - in a far more dire future - grow them.

The first time I watched this cinematic I thought of just how much fan-service there was.

But honestly, as much as I typically don't like in-your-nose fan-service, this was more than fine. This is what we've been curious about, wasn't it? To see all this world rendered to glorious modern standards. Everything is there. Even the little square area with sand around the slide. It's clear that there was a huge attention to detail involved in this cinematic, and I'm going to shamelessly savor it.

Come on.

aaaaaaaaaaa

Seriously

Aerith, startled by the souls who keep shouting their name and kinda ruining the scene direction, turns her face away from the really bright Mako.

All jokes aside, I guess this is where the differences start. Throughout the entire opening we get to hear "Estuans Interius, Ira Vehementis". Aeris instead of just confidently walking out of the alley is startled by something.

Complete with her tripping and dropping the flowers.

Here we can see the business goes very well, as Aerith shows off her $170 bucks necklace.

quote:

Material: Leather, Gold Plated Silver, Freshwater Pearl

If it's gold plated, did it have to be silver? Couldn't it be like, anything else? These are the questions that keep me awake at night, as I look at that price tag, the "WAITING LIST" button and cry.

Hell yeah. If you don't get goosebumps you have no soul. Wait, what is that huge building with a gigantic A and the tube doing at the left corner. Did people mass produce these things?

Can you imagine how devalued those buildings at the edge of the city got? "You now have an exciting view to this iron wall".

Honestly, I hope they never fix the sheer absurdity of the Shinra Building size. I'm pretty sure this thing is the size of a few Star Destroyers back to back.

Photobomb this. It's hard not to be pumped. This intro is timeless.

I know I joked about this 10 years ago but it's still as relevant as ever: Midgar still retains its mystical size-changing properties. Just a few screenshots ago, the city looked huge before the reactors. From the original to FF7AC to this, I feel like adapting Midgar to the scale of the cartoonish, technology-limited, silhouette-defining original opening is a nightmare to the artists.

So yeah, this was an entire update about the opening. I'm not sorry, I had words to say.

And I'm gonna say 'em.

Let's do this.

Bonus Next

Elentor fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 15, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

gently caress yes I get to be in an LP from the ground up.

This entire opening cinematic had me waxing nostalgic while grinning like a loon when I was playing the demo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I am playing through this very slowly, had it since April 1st and am midway through chapter 7, it's a loving helluva game - and that's all I'm going to say on the topic.

Looking forward to your take on it, your original LP was fantastic.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ground floor baby

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update 1 Bonus - The Loud Elephant in the Room

Oh, before we're done, we do need to have the talk. The one about Anime Grunt Noises.

Truth be told, the JP VA in this game is... surprisingly restrained. For real, let's compare the English and Japanese versions:

ENGLISH

JAPANESE

This is held true for the rest of the game as far as I've seen. Y'all ask me, I just don't know what's going on. Maybe after working so long in the industry, I reckon the VAs got a serious case of the Dissidias. Maybe the VA Directors thought it'd be nice to give more work for their colleagues and get the VAs a nicer paycheck for all their troubles. I'm not judging. We all gotta pay our bills. And sometimes the only way to pay your bills is to make anime noises.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
hell yeah hell yeah hell yeah hell yeah

ain't never ever ever gettin' off this train we on

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
In on the ground floor of what will surely become a legendary thread.

I didn’t particularly enjoy the gameplay of the demo, so this seems like as good a way as any to enjoy this.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

S Q U A T S Q U A D

Ground floor baby. I won't be able to play this game so this is the next best thing.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Ohhhhh yeaaaah!

I guess to elaborate, I look and see a new thread with only a few posts.

Then see its by Elentor.

THEN SEE ITS THIS

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Can't wait to follow this LP for the next decade as SE drip-feeds the entire game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Elentor posted:

And sometimes the only way to pay your bills is to make anime noises.
Sounds great, where do I apply? Making anime noises probably pays a lot better than translation work.

I've considered picking up the Remake, but the combat didn't click with me at all in the demo so I'll probably wait for a sale or just read this LP instead. I went in expecting to hate the combat because I don't like action RPGs in general, but I was hoping this would be one of the few exceptions. No such luck, which is a shame because I liked everything else I saw.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I'm already injecting this directly into my veins from multiple video LPs, but I do love me some screenshots intertwined with discussion, so hell yeah ground floor baby.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc M posted:

Sounds great, where do I apply? Making anime noises probably pays a lot better than translation work.

I've considered picking up the Remake, but the combat didn't click with me at all in the demo so I'll probably wait for a sale or just read this LP instead. I went in expecting to hate the combat because I don't like action RPGs in general, but I was hoping this would be one of the few exceptions. No such luck, which is a shame because I liked everything else I saw.

I'm not a fan of action games in general, so it was a huge surprise to find enjoyment in this game's combat. It's not perfect or everything I've ever wanted, but somehow I found it enjoyable, which was a huge surprise since I had no such luck with FFXV. Can't wait for the PC version where I can mod in a turn-based version.

zenguitarman posted:

S Q U A T S Q U A D

Ground floor baby. I won't be able to play this game so this is the next best thing.

Never stop squatting the squatting never ends even in quarantine always squat at home always squat.

Mega64 posted:

Can't wait to follow this LP for the next decade as SE drip-feeds the entire game.

:shepface:

Fedule posted:

Kitase posted:

I think in order to be something that continues to be loved and followed by future generations we have to keep updating it as we're doing now. And in 10 years time, 20 years time, it may need to be done again! So even if this is the only thing that I do in the rest of my career, I won't be disappointed."

Hahah... hah... hahah... :shepicide:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Everytime I'd progress a bit further and experienced a moment, I had to go back to the main thread and see how others experienced it. Thank you for making this thread. I expect it to be a labor of love, much like the game itself.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi everyone. For your maximum enjoyment, please turn on the subtitles while watching these two videos.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't usually participate in LP threads but I'm real excited for this one! :hellyeah:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There ain't no getting offa this train we're on.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

At last, the promise has been fulfilled. I’m glad to be alive for it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I feel like they're basing character's faces off of the faces of celebrities these days. The new Jill Valentine is absolutely Natalie Portman and Aerith is someone but I can't put my finger on who.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I feel like they're basing character's faces off of the faces of celebrities these days. The new Jill Valentine is absolutely Natalie Portman and Aerith is someone but I can't put my finger on who.

I wanna say Jennifer Lawrence.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Okay this is definitely going to be interesting. Glad to be on the ground floor for this.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

She reminds me of Anna Kendrick.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Posting in the thread in which I am truly home

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Hell yeah, this is going to be a treat!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
*Rubs hands together in glee*

Oh boy, here we go, people.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Hoppin' on this train before it leaves the station this time awww yeah.

Even just reread the old LP a few weeks ago in Remake hype.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hellll yeah!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I didn't think I was going to look at any FF7R content until I had the ability to play it myself but this will be an exception!

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Hell loving yeah. Choo choo motherfucker.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
New Elentor FFVII thread?! :holy:

I'm so glad you're doing this. I don't have a Playstation and I doubt my computer could run a PC version, anyway (though a girl can dream...). But I know this game is in safe hands if you're the one who LPs it. All aboard, we ain't ever gonna stop this train!

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Oh yeah, this is gonna be hella good.

Loved the original thread and excited for this one.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

As someone waiting until the PS5 I'm super excited to see this!!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fedule posted:

An' this train we on don't make no stops. It ain't GOT no stops!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm almost as hype about Elentor doing an LP about FF7:R as I am actually playing the game myself.

Also: GROUND FLOOR BAYBEEEEEEEEEEE

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Surprise T Rex posted:

She reminds me of Anna Kendrick.

It is 1000% Anna Kendrick, it's uncanny.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I never played the original FF7 since I'm contemporaneous with it but I played the demo and liked the combat, so I'm all in on this

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

quote:

Don't worry I don't think it will take another 4 years to finish this.

That sounds like a challenge, goon sir

Considering the episodic nature of the game, SE will release one episode a year or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Considering the episodic nature of the game, SE will release one episode a year or some poo poo

Now who's being optimistic