Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update 11 Bonus - Stores and Ads

FASHION

Okay, seriously though. Bobson was my joke, Square. Whenever I had to pick a really random American-sounding name I'd go for Bobson. Come on.

Fresh MEAT MARKET.

PIZZA.

Not gonna lie this is all super charming.

So what's goin' on Studio White?

No go back, not LOVELESS noo

I'm tagging myself as FRESHNESS COFFEE.

You can see Velvet Voix briefly in the original:

I love the little stores. I dunno what Bellwood sells, but this entire place has such a nice vibe.

So yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed this area.

And of course, the adventures of Stump!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

nine-gear crow posted:

I've never really been keen on the FF7 general battle theme so it popping up in Remake finally was just "Okay..." Now the boss theme on the other hand... :haw::hf::getin:

This game has such an amazing soundtrack. I never felt particularly attached to the original FF7 and I'd still put this as one of the best OSTs of the past decade.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

They put a fuckton of work into making Midgar feel like a real plausible place that could exist this time around and I love it. If they put in the time to make a walking sim that was just all of Midgar in its entirety where you could go anywhere in the city you wanted to, I would play the poo poo out of it.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I know a great town on a plateau that you'd love...

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This game's soundtrack comes on seven loving CDs (and a bonus disk if you get the physical version) and it's all incredible. And there's so much. Just when you think there can't possibly be any more arrangements of Those Who Fight...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fedule posted:

This game's soundtrack comes on seven loving CDs (and a bonus disk if you get the physical version) and it's all incredible. And there's so much. Just when you think there can't possibly be any more arrangements of Those Who Fight...

Seven discs and there's still a bunch of music left off the official soundtrack that's probably waiting for an Unreleased Tracks or PLUS soundtrack release later on.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

One entire disc of the OST is devoted to a single chapter of the game. That's insane.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Fedule posted:

After all the development delays, I am not surprised that there's enough music in this game to fit into 7-8 discs. For as much as the writers/animators/programmers put into this game, the sound design team absolutely went all out as well and deserve their own set of praises.

anakha posted:

One entire disc of the OST is devoted to a single chapter of the game. That's insane.
Especially when stuff like this happens. :eyepop:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

After all the development delays, I am not surprised that there's enough music in this game to fit into 7-8 discs. For as much as the writers/animators/programmers put into this game, the sound design team absolutely went all out as well and deserve their own set of praises.

Especially when stuff like this happens. :eyepop:

Hell, Square brought in frickin Keiki Kobayashi, the lead composer for Ace Combat to do a boss track for Remake. And you can just tell which one it was just by listening to it, too. They went wonderfully extra on this one and I can't wait to see how the follow up with the remaining parts.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

They put a fuckton of work into making Midgar feel like a real plausible place that could exist this time around and I love it. If they put in the time to make a walking sim that was just all of Midgar in its entirety where you could go anywhere in the city you wanted to, I would play the poo poo out of it.

Yeah during all that time I kept thinking "holy poo poo, this place".

AradoBalanga posted:

You get props for adapting "Thriller" to this section, Elentor. Not just the lyrics, but also for making it into a wonderful pun. :golfclap:

Thank you lol. I had a truckload of fun doing that.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
If you don't mind spoilers for Remake you should definitely check out Jacob Geller's video Life in the Shadow of Midgar, it goes all into the astonishing realisation of the setting. If you do mind spoilers maybe keep it bookmarked and come back later.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I do mind spoilers very much so. Both for my enjoyment as a player and also because I want to write my blind impressions uninfluenced by other people's opinions, especially if they're much further than I am.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Why would anyone want opinions on this game that aren't Elentor's??

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

silvergoose posted:

Why would anyone want opinions on this game that aren't Elentor's??

:hmmyes:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Elentor posted:

And of course, the adventures of Stump!

One other thing to point out: I love (and by that I actually mean kind of hate) that Shrina in this version is so deviously smart that they have their own children's propaganda mascot and marketing apparatus to sell their bullshit to kids and certain adults though the guise of a seemingly harmless, adorable little beagle. It's just the perfect amount of gross for Shinra :discourse:

No wonder Barret loving HATES Stamp.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 31, 2020

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

One other thing to point out: I love (and by that I actually mean kind of hate) that Shrina in this version is so deviously smart that they have their own children's propaganda mascot and marketing apparatus to sell their bullshit to kids and certain adults though the guise of a seemingly harmless, adorable little beagle. It's just the perfect amount of gross for Shinra :discourse:

No wonder Barret loving HATES Stamp.

I mean, that's also a reflection of Midgar = Tokyo. Every modern Japanese institution has its own mascot. It gets kind of absurd.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The best thing about Stamp is when you hear his theme song and pay attention to the lyrics

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The best thing about Stamp is when you hear his theme song and pay attention to the lyrics

:aaaaa:

I love this game.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

this game is not perfect, and in fact there are parts I absolutely hate, but it is so utterly balls to the wall I love it to pieces

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The only thing I dont like about this game are the uh.. slightly less impressive NPCs.

I dont mind them if they are just background filler and you run past them but interacting them is a bit jarring.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I appreciate the generic NPCs in the same way I appreciate the generic NPCs in Kingdom Hearts 3. Every single little incidental line of dialogue is voiced and the game is stuffed to the gills with the bastards, which makes everywhere you go really feel like a living place, even if actually interacting with some of them is occasionally jarring.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update 12 - Moral High Ground

Previous

The opening of the train scene is more or less beat by beat the same.

Cloud: Wearing robes. Came and went like the wind.

Cloud: They were - at first. Only saw them after she grabbed me...

I mean, that's a pretty reasonable guess.

As annoying to Cloud as Barret is it's not like Cloud doesn't uh, have weird hallucinations in the OG, so.

We pass by the cars. This sequence is in general pretty similar to the original.

Yup. It gives off the same sense of it being super cramped.

Cloud: I'm a SOLDIER.

This is a pretty great exchange. Cloud tells Biggs he'll get used to it, and Biggs says "something to look forward... or maybe not". I like that. He doesn't want to be desensitized. As badass as Cloud appears to be, there's a solid difference between admiration and letting yourself go and becoming a sociopath -

- something that the AVALANCHE members are struggling with.

Jessie ponders about how the reactor should have failsafes, then asks about the invisible enemies, before coming to terms that it was probably caused by her actions. This small guilt trip lane in the train is interesting.

I'm starting to think that the assassination on the President was Sephiroth's doing, like an early but failed attempt.

Anyway this is some pretty good stuff.

This was mentioned in the thread, but there's something very visceral about the fact that these middle managers are all, well, poor, and some of them are also going to the slums.

As a side-note, I love the work they put in the suits in this game.

lool

Shinra Middle Manager: But work together for peace and prosperity!

Shinra Middle Manager: This is how civilized people change the world!

This scene is just perfect, and adorable. Normally, I'm very over the whole shades of grey stuff, but this is just perfect. These people disagree with Barret's methods, and remind me in a way of Reeve in the OG FF7, except they are brainwashed by Shinra and truly believe in what they're doing.

I mean, it makes sense, right? The three of them seem to be friends, and nice. If they don't have contact with the upper body and if they don't believe that they are literally sucking the soul of the planet - and really, they have no reason to - then there's a very clear path to take.

The world is in a state of peace. Shinra provides technology, and a job opportunity for them. Life is not perfect, but whatever they're doing is hurting people a lot less than the reactor bombing that just happened. Of course, there's a lot more to the anarcho-capitalist society they live in than that.

While writing this Update I kept thinking of the explosion that happened recently in Beirut. The Reactor explosion cinematic reminded me a bit of the things I've seen about Chernobyl, but that imagery is in a past. Even if in the recent past, it's still from a time before I was born. It's funny how these things seem so distant, even when we know they're not.

When playing FF7, both the OG and the Remake, it's hard not to think of the allegories to radiation. The dying flower in the opening, the mutations caused by Mako. FF7 could get away with just Jenova and how infectious she is, but instead Mako - which is essentially as natural as natural can be - is poisonous. And I guess that's in no small part one of the most shocking aspects of the original, and its body horror.

Everyone has made WW2 comparisons over and over, but even very recently Fukushima happened, and... there's something haunting about all of it.

I don't know. I felt genuine shock looking at the recent events in Beirut. It looked like something out of a post-apocalyptic movie, and the reality of it and how many people have been impacted hit me like a truck.

I appreciate the amount of time and effort the team put into giving the consequences of the Reactor 1 explosion.

And thus, in that regard, it does feel like Barret lost the moral battle against the Shinra Middle Managers before it even started. And while I don't think that, in reality, a person equivalent to Barret's character would have lost the rhetorical arguments of those Middle Managers, I do appreciate the lines drawn by the game here.

I played through this part twice, and I really, really appreciated it.

On the other hand, after dealing with this scene a dozen times in the original, I did not look forward to Jessie explaining Midgar to me.

stop pls

no

Okay, back to Barret.

This is where things are taken more seriously. Mission is done, and Barret still keeps this talk about the environment. And now the comedic undertone of his character is gone.

Cloud: That's what's always worked for me.

This moment is so intense. I'm glad they included it, because yeah, this is the sort of stuff that I've written about all these years and tried to convey.

Life outside the communities is very different, and you have to learn a certain degree of selfishness that it's not... built-in in your previous lifestyle. You learn not to leave others behind,

The lines between ethical and unethical are muddied by the principles of community and the need of survival. And thus, criminal organizations rise up to power. Few people give thought to the concept of marginalization, because the word already has fully assumed its social meaning. The notion of what happens once you are thrown to the margins of society become alien even to conscientious middle-class people.

Final Fantasy VII is one of my favorite games because of that.

Previous

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unrelated, but this is such a good line re: Hojo

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
A key note I like is Barret using the glasses as a way to protect himself when he's meant to be 'The Big Boss' because you can see from his eyes how soft he can be, how much weight he's carrying.

As for the assassination of President Shinra, that is likely in reference to a phone game called Before Crisis. Before Crisis was a mobile phone game where you made your own member of the Turks and the game kicks off with Avalanche attempting to kill President Shinra before being stopped by Sephiroth.

It's... weird. I don't know if it was any good but I heard it had a lot of "Running into all the famous people because what the gently caress else would you do?"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 10, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that makes sense.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 10, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love how fuckin DREAMY Barret's eyes are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sorry, I'm not all "here" anymore. It was easy to write about things in the past tense, but reality right now is tougher than ever to me, and I don't think I'll be in the mindset to play games, or write about them, in a very long time.

For those who supported me, and helped me through these tough times, thank you. Everything counted. I'm sorry to disappoint.

I apologize that I can no longer be the writer that I used to be.