Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFIX remake for Switch with the original art style and environments done with Bravely Default style, with the whole pop-up book aesthetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Junpei posted:

I want a remake of IV.

Or IX.

I want them to stop remaking IV

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want more Vagrant Story, is it too much to ask?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Elentor posted:

I've only ever read Azure's LP, which (like most of his LPs) made the game look dull and confusing af.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a remake of I ?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xander77 posted:

I've only ever read Azure's LP, which (like most of his LPs) made the game look dull and confusing af.

VS is a really good candidate of a game for a love-letter LP - the game has many confusing mechanics and boring puzzles, and through a LP you can theoretically filter out all of it.

I don't think it's any surprise going by my avatar that Vagrant Story is one of my favorite games.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a remake of I ?

I heard the new releases have huge combat revamps to make it easier, but don't quote me on this.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I LPed it a few years ago, its on the archive also.

But instead of a person who makes a great game look boring in screenshots (I think? I don't know if I ever read that one) I'm just boring trying my best to explain why its great.

It is however obtuse. There's no avoiding that even if I do exploit the mechanics.

Alternatively there's this which I can vouch for entertainment, but not expressing how good it is.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a remake of I ?

I want to say there was a PS1 update of FF1 (maybe bundled with a slightly updated Chrono Trigger) and there was also a version of 1 & 2 on the GBA, but nothing with 3d graphics or other quality of life improvements that I'm aware of.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

FF1&2 got a remake / rerelease on the PSP - it had all the extra content that they'd made for the gameboy games?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
The PSP versions of 1 and 2 also have new extra dungeons including all the GBA stuff as well.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
omg this LP exists, let's go

:getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a remake of I ?

Several, yes. They're all easier than the original but that's partially because they rebalance away some of the bullshit. I played the GBA one and it was pretty fun.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I feel like they're basing character's faces off of the faces of celebrities these days. The new Jill Valentine is absolutely Natalie Portman and Aerith is someone but I can't put my finger on who.

I'm glad someone else has noticed this. I agree with the Anna Kendrick comparison to Aeris/th, and can't NOT see Minka Kelly every time I look at Jessie.

Really looking forward to this, Elentor!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Oh poo poo I forgot this came out already.

Welp, since it isn't available on PC yet I will just experience this game the same way I did the original, through an awesome Elentor LP!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Elentor posted:

Yes

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Haha holy poo poo, I was just thinking about how much I wanted this. I finished the game already, but I spent a lot of it thinking about your discussions about the favelas.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

My first thought was "Wow, already a thread for FF7 Remake?" Then I saw the author so suffice to say I am very excited to follow this thread.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jessie is fantastic and so are Biggs and Wedge I love what the remake's done with these guys. :allears:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wedge giving that thumbs up is adorable. He looks like a small child.

Can't wait for the honey bee inn.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, confession time: I never actually played the original, and I only experienced it through the LP.

I'm actually playing along this time, so I'm really excited to see how it goes!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll write the next update as soon as I can but I just want to say that my favorite Final Fantasy scene of all time so far, and I mean, every Final Fantasy, happens early on in Chapter 3.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Elentor posted:

I'll write the next update as soon as I can but I just want to say that my favorite Final Fantasy scene of all time so far, and I mean, every Final Fantasy, happens early on in Chapter 3.

PM me which one it is!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Wait is that a new FF7 LP
of the remake
by Elentor
:neckbeard:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
By the way, I'll just have to say that Jessie and Biggs' voices were so instantly recognizable to me (Erica Lindbeck and Gideon Emery, respectively).

Actually, I'll just do a Voice Actors roundup for the characters that we've already seen:

Cloud is voiced by Cody Christian. This is his first VA role, actually. He's done some TV and film stuff but uhh I guess his more memorable role might be in Teen Wolf? I honestly have not watched any of his other stuff.

Barret is voiced by John Eric Bentley. I'm not that familiar with his work but this guy has been in the biz for a while. His earliest stuff was all the way back in 1979, and his first VA stuff was in 1995. That's a long time!

Jessie is Erica Lindbeck. This is her first role in a Final Fantasy but she's been in a decent amount of video game stuff, including Celica from Fire Emblem, Futaba from Persona 5 and Menat from Street Fighter.

Biggs is Gideon Emery. You've probably already heard his stuff without even knowing it, but just some of his roles include Fenris from Dragon Age II and Balthier from Final Fantasy XII.

Wedge is Matt Jones. He's also pretty new to VAing (Wedge is apparently only his second ever role), but he's been in TV since 2002.

I might keep doing these for future (named) characters if people care.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 13, 2020

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Elentor posted:

Favorite scene... so far!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Jessie is Erica Lindbeck. This is her first role in a Final Fantasy but she's been in a decent amount of video game stuff, including Celica from Fire Emblem, Futaba from Persona 5 and Menat from Street Fighter.

I think my favorite role of hers is Vita Clotilde in Trails of Cold Steel.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

ApplesandOranges posted:

By the way, I'll just have to say that Jessie and Biggs' voices were so instantly recognizable to me (Erica Lindbeck and Gideon Emery, respectively).

Actually, I'll just do a Voice Actors roundup for the characters that we've already seen:

Cloud is voiced by Cody Christian. This is his first VA role, actually. He's done some TV and film stuff but uhh I guess his more memorable role might be in Teen Wolf? I honestly have not watched any of his other stuff.

Barret is voiced by John Eric Bentley. I'm not that familiar with his work but this guy has been in the biz for a while. His earliest stuff was all the way back in 1979, and his first VA stuff was in 1995. That's a long time!

Biggs is Gideon Emery. You've probably already heard his stuff without even knowing it, but just some of his roles include Fenris from Dragon Age II and Balthier from Final Fantasy XII.

Wedge is Matt Jones. He's also pretty new to VAing (Wedge is apparently only his second ever role), but he's been in TV since 2002.

I might keep doing these for future (named) characters if people care.

I'd appreciate the effort.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Is Final Fantasy VII Remake finally true hack-and-slash or is there still some sort of hidden ATB thing going on under the hood? How does it compare to the Trials of Mana Remake demo, if you've played that? IMO that one feels slightly over-animated and not as responsive as any random [Whatever] Warriors game.

When is the inevitable Koei and Squaresoft collab for Dissidia Warriors

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

dotchan posted:

Is Final Fantasy VII Remake finally true hack-and-slash or is there still some sort of hidden ATB thing going on under the hood? How does it compare to the Trials of Mana Remake demo, if you've played that? IMO that one feels slightly over-animated and not as responsive as any random [Whatever] Warriors game.

To be honest, it wouldn't be the first, or even the second, Warriors game for Square.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Oh an LP of the remake. Probably the only way I'll get to experience it until it eventually comes out to Steam. Noice.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Capfalcon posted:

So, confession time: I never actually played the original, and I only experienced it through the LP.

I'm actually playing along this time, so I'm really excited to see how it goes!

that's ok, that was my experience with the original too. Actually I did play the PC port and got up to the marching minigame and I just couldn't get any further because my 2009 laptop couldn't figure out the right video card equivalency to not have the game stutter

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Has Square said how many episodes the remake will be?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ultrafilter posted:

Has Square said how many episodes the remake will be?

I'm assuming 3 or 4, probably 3.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Hell loving yeah. Elentor, just wanted to drop by and say that while I missed the original LP while you were posting it -I bookmarked it and then just got intimidated as the posts kept skyrocketing up while I was busy with school- I went through the entire thing in two days this week and this couldn't be better timed.

Really looking forward to your thoughts on the game, especially since you singlehandedly turned around my opinions about the original -- I'd never played it and just learned bits and pieces from osmosis, mostly from the EU and the mid-2000's/early 2010's fanbase.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

dotchan posted:

I don't think this is spoilers as this is basic mechanics, but Elentor didn't touch on it specifically *though it is typed out in one of herscreenshots. If you want this gone because you're covering it, I'll remove it.

ATB is happening and it's not exactly hidden. There is an ATB gauge under your health and mana bars. It is split in two halves (but it might get more or less segments depending on gear/character. I haven't seen that far yet myself) It will fill automatically over time, but fills faster if you are attacking. You don't have to wait for it to fill up before performing basic attacks, but special moves will use up one ATB bar. So basic attack and defense, do not use ATB, and instead build it. Special attacks (which we haven't seen yet) and using Magic/Items/Menu commands does require ATB. Basically if it requires a menu, it requires ATB.

Edited for assumption. Sorry.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 14, 2020

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

CzarChasm posted:

*though it is typed out in one of his screenshots.

Heads up, elentor is a she not a he.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

Heads up, elentor is a she not a he.

Fixed. Sorry.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Once you get past all the ghost Sephiroths, real Sephiroth is voiced by Charlie Day. You first hear him when he does all the monologuing about his grand plan

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Elentor, I appreciate you doing this, but you're going to need to post at least two updates a day to satiate my appetite. Thanks a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schwartzcough posted:

Elentor, I appreciate you doing this, but you're going to need to post at least two updates a day to satiate my appetite. Thanks a bunch.

Hey, sorry about that. My arm's been acting up. You know, we're gonna have an encore of 10 years ago. I have got everything for a few updates and I know exactly what I'm gonna write, just waiting for it to relax a bit.