Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's frankly ridiculous how good this turned out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I mean, Square did work on this for close to a decade, they announced it in 2015! I think a bunch of the work was in getting back to the tone of the original and moving away from the flanderization of the follow on media.

I don't get to play this until it comes out for PC, but is Wall Street still as fun as it was in the original? If so, I'm gonna be real happy with the game.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

I mean, Square did work on this for close to a decade, they announced it in 2015! I think a bunch of the work was in getting back to the tone of the original and moving away from the flanderization of the follow on media.

I don't get to play this until it comes out for PC, but is Wall Street still as fun as it was in the original? If so, I'm gonna be real happy with the game.

More so.

So. Much. More.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I had startlingly few complaints and I absolutely loved everything barring those quibbles, like the air combat feeling... off. The music is on point with good range, the combat engine and what they've done with it are just impeccable, the game flows well, the English VA cast is p fukken gr8 (minus excessive Anime Noises, the faces are expressive enough that this really wasn't necessary), there's just so much to gush about.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ytlaya posted:

Unless there's a sudden drop in quality later, I'm really kind of stunned at how good this is. This game would have sold well regardless of how they did it, and I wasn't really expecting much before it came out.
If anything, it gets better.

habeasdorkus posted:

If you liked Wall Market in the OG, you're going to LOVE the remake.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

habeasdorkus posted:

Nu Wall Street is amazing and is generally regarded to be the highest point in the remake.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

From what I've read, a good bunch of the time length was in fact due to Square tearing everything down and rebuilding it from scratch after about a year of work. It definitely explains why there was barely a word on how the game was progressing until 2019, there was literally nothing to show between 2017-2018.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Re-made Wall Market is pretty much the high point of gaming, and indeed of all human culture and art.

Well, at least gaming... :v:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey folks. I'll be (finally) taking the next weekend to play videogames and catch up on this. Hopefully I'll have a bunch of stuff ready as I venture myself into the worlds of the Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Square have already hypothesised about remaking the remake, but don't rush ;)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I hope this Let's Play isn't keeping you from actually playing the game, Elentor, as you hold off to have time to write updates and all that. :ohdear: I feel like that would kill the pacing for you and possibly reduce your enjoyment.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Re-made Wall Market is pretty much the high point of gaming, and indeed of all human culture and art.

Well, at least gaming... :v:

I'm not to the end of the game yet, but yeah WM is probably going to be the best non-combat area. Sector 7 Slums was OK but there wasn't much to do aside besides running from point A to B for sidequests, in WM a lot of the activities involve the actual act of travel through the area so it feels a bit more 'real'. It's a smaller but more dense NPC town. And while I was sad to see the 'combo-ing together your outfit' sequence gone, what it gets replaced with is... a worthy successor :sparkles:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update 9 - Zé Farofa

Previous Next

Well, there's no such thing as an untainted experience, is there?

While writing this I kept dancing around what I want to say. I guess, in a way, juggling between what I want to say, and what I think I should say.

Although I haven't been spoiled things I have seen that people's opinions and worries about things that happen early on have switched.

And in that regard, this entire game is about a tainted experience. The devs, as they said, expect you to know the original. Now, I keep wondering how much of the experiences intended for us to feel here are intentional or not.

So, I don't mind.

Ultimately, I think anyone reading this wants (I hope) wants me to give my honest opinion.

"Hello my fans, just so you know I'm available, and my Discord is,"

And my honest opinion is that I laughed my rear end off at how comical the scene where Cloud turns to Sephiroth is. The comedic timing has to be intentional. Also, I'm a pretty short person and I've seen tall people but I'm pretty sure Sephiroth is really trying to overcompensate here.

Then I had a scary thought. What if the comedic timing of Cloud turning and seeing Sephiroth was unintentional and instead I'm meant to be, like, super scared and startled at this revelation.

I honestly can't tell. But I kinda knew this scene would show up because of the trailer.

Well, I've said my thoughts multiple times, but in case you don't know: I'm not Sephiroth's hugest fan, but the reason I like him as a character is because his entire schtick is gaslighting Cloud into believing he has no emotions, in the original. He also takes his time over the game to control Jenova, which is something that doesn't happen here.

So, I can't say I like, loved this scene. I was rolling my eyes and internally screaming NOMURAAA!!! etc.

Fun fact: I have a friend who has never played a Final Fantasy and screams Nomura jokingly whenever she's shopping and finds a piece riddled with zippers.

Cloud: "...dead!"

Sephiroth: "It was the crowning moment of our time together."

Sephiroth: "Our beloved planet is dying."

Sephiroth: "Cloud?"

Well this is hosed up.

Sephiroth: "Which is why I must ask you this one favor."

Ursula: YOUR VOICE

This is not your game Ursula, go away.

Wait, Kingdom Hearts does exist.

Seriously, I don't... I mean, I'm so confused. This is such a strange villain monologue. I mean, it's generic, but it's still weird.

But fine, I'm interpreting it as Sephiroth changing his approach on how to deal with Cloud, while still uh, preserving the Reunion.

I wonder if Sephiroth's plans in either game would work if Cloud was like, just really smug about having killed him.

Like:
"So Cloud... I must ask you a favor..."
"I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of you falling like Goofy."

Sephiroth: "Hold on to that hatred."

But, you know, some changes are gonna happen, and whether we like them or not, we must be open to a few things. There is no way Sephiroth wasn't gonna show early. It's their Darth Vader. I mean, I'd have admired their restraint, but come on it was gonna happen.

Ultimately I think we must keep an open mind. Changes can be either bad, or good. And sometimes, well, they might just add up to something good.

No

Previous Next

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 23, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Without jumping into spoiler territory Elentor, I hope you pay close attention to the BGM during or right after that scene.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's only natural to have very mixed emotions about a lot of the... changes in this game. It's the sort of thing that you probably can't make a final evaluation of until after the credits roll. But throughout, the developers seem to have done a pretty good job at making the story approachable by both veterans and newcomers, and leaving both with questions at the same points in the story- they're just different questions. It's actually impressive how they juggled telling a story that would work and evoke the same general feeling out of both audiences.

Like here, a newcomer would be all, "Who is this Sephiroth person? What is his history with Cloud?", while a person familiar with FF7 would be asking, "why is Sephiroth here now? Why is he asking Cloud to run away?"

Whether or not you approve of the Sephiroth scene, I found it pretty cool how they had this weird hybrid Nibelheim/Midgar environment Cloud was stumbling through, with the old fashioned germanic cottages along with industrial pipes and brick buildings all merged together. It was a neat effect.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 16, 2020

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
"Wait, Kingdom Hearts exists."

NOMURAAAAAA!

:P

Also yes, change can be good. I am one of the ones that is unashamedly on board with the changes this game makes. I love everything it does.

EVERYTHING.

Weeble fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 16, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I am an unabashedly big fan of the changes this game makes. But then again they confirmed a lot of the things I suspected leading up to the game's release, so it always feels good to be correct.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
https://twitter.com/hannyalune/status/1279875304622886919

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's amazing.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Can anyone tell a dumb english person who doesn't know the phonetic alphabet how Zé Farofa is pronounced? All I know is that r is either a h or silent in Brazilian Portuguese - so Zay Fah-ho-fa?

quote:

Ultimately, I don't think anyone reading this wants (I hope) for me to give my honest opinion.
Is this a typo because I do?

quote:

Is this a seamless shift to CG here?

quote:

Then I had a scary thought. What if the comedic timing of Cloud turning and seeing Sephiroth was unintentional and instead I'm meant to be, like, super scared and startled at this revelation.
I absolutely think this is the case. Think it's one part chesty fanservice, but also intended to be a legit OMG moment.

The MGS1/Shadow Hearts translator Jeremy Blaustein talked once about how cheesy B-movie vibes are very genuine and popular in Japan (I think specifically on the subject of the lines involving "Love blooming on the battlefield"). From what we see in Japanese games, I assume this is still the case because it explains a lot of stuff like this. :shrug:

quote:

Fun fact: I have a friend who has never played a Final Fantasy and screams Nomura jokingly whenever she's shopping and finds a piece riddled with zippers.
Love it.

quote:

Jesus, I never noticed the detail here with the sweat. I'm also iffy about the excessive sephirothing but gotta appreciate the artistry and hard work that went into stuff like this.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VagueRant posted:

Can anyone tell a dumb english person who doesn't know the phonetic alphabet how Zé Farofa is pronounced? All I know is that r is either a h or silent in Brazilian Portuguese - so Zay Fah-ho-fa?
Is this a typo because I do?
Is this a seamless shift to CG here?

Yeah it was a typo. Thanks!

As far as I know everything there seemed real time to me, no shift to pre-rendered.

The r isn't silent (I don't think it ever is in Brazilian Portuguese). In this case it sounds like a Japanese r: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_dental_and_alveolar_taps_and_flaps
As for the é sound: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-mid_front_unrounded_vowel like the "e" in bed:

zɛ fa'ɾɔfɐ

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 16, 2020

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am torn on the changes. On one hand, this scene with Sephiroth makes sense from the initial setup: Cloud is watching the burning buildings in the upper plate and is having a very clear PTSD-induced flashback to Niebelheim that Sephiroth decided to pop up in. So having this mind screw of a moment works because at the end of the day, if you wanted me to show you an example of how mental illnesses like PTSD affect people, this scene would be a good example to use. I wouldn't be surprised if Cloud actually bumped into a normal person who then just walked off while Cloud's own messed up mind processed the person as Sephiroth and let the trauma drag him into the alleyway. So yes, this little bit is a good change that hints at Cloud's future issues while still keeping it within the context of the reactor bombing aftermath.

The next part...ugh. Without spoilers, my thoughts on that subject is: I don't completely hate it and get the intention, but lord almighty did everything related to it need at least one more pass in editing to not be as divisive as it is.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I don't like it. It's going to take away from the reveal in the Shinra building, which is one of my favorite suspense moments in the original.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
That scene definitely works as a way of establishing that Cloud has PTSD and is generally messed up. As a new player, I didn't mind it, and didn't even know it wasn't in the original until my husband told me. It probably would have worked better if Cloud had just had a short glimpse of the burning town with no visible Sephiroth, instead of this extended scene, then later they could have added more to it. They did overuse Sephiroth for the game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MR. J posted:

I don't like it. It's going to take away from the reveal in the Shinra building, which is one of my favorite suspense moments in the original.

They directly make reference to what they did with Sephiroth in the remake vs original in an interview. And once someone's completed the game I think it's worthwhile to look at what Kitase said, because it's very interesting. I can easily say that this isn't a case of not understanding how the original worked.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Cloacamazing! posted:

They did overuse Sephiroth for the game.

The prevailing theory dives into this and posits an in-character reason for it.

anakha fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 17, 2020

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Is it that he just likes trolling Cloud? That's what I went with.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cloacamazing! posted:

Is it that he just likes trolling Cloud? That's what I went with.

Assuming it follows the original plot at all, wasn't everything Sephiroth did some long-con puppetmaster move to manipulate Cloud into bringing the Black Materia to the Northern Crater and un-Walt Disneying what was left of his real body?

With this being an (at best) years-long remake effort with effectively no time limit on development, they do have the benefit of being able to map everything out ahead of time and sprinkle hints and foreshadowing throughout that we won't understand until some big FMV plot dump in FF7R: Chapter 8 - Planet in Peril... Meteor Approaches !!!

OK now I hope each new chapter has a 5 minute DBZ-style recap of the previous chapters complete with Japanese buttrock and an over dramatic announcer voice. They should have the 2 barkers from the arena do it :allears:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It would annoy so many people of there were eights parts to FF7R so I hope they do it!

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
An entire, full-length, game devoted to the Gold Saucer.
Not anything involving Corel Prison or the town itself; just the Saucer.

Dozens of new minigames; the only combat is the battle arena.

More in-depth chocobo racing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weeble posted:

An entire, full-length, game devoted to the Gold Saucer.
Not anything involving Corel Prison or the town itself; just the Saucer.

Dozens of new minigames; the only combat is the battle arena.

More in-depth chocobo racing.

You say that but I would love it :getin:

It's probably 3 expansions of FFXIV where I just stay on Gold Saucer.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

Assuming it follows the original plot at all, wasn't everything Sephiroth did some long-con puppetmaster move to manipulate Cloud into bringing the Black Materia to the Northern Crater and un-Walt Disneying what was left of his real body?

With this being an (at best) years-long remake effort with effectively no time limit on development, they do have the benefit of being able to map everything out ahead of time and sprinkle hints and foreshadowing throughout that we won't understand until some big FMV plot dump in FF7R: Chapter 8 - Planet in Peril... Meteor Approaches !!!

The original had tons of hints/foreshadowing, they don't need to invent more. Speaking as someone who has only played the original, I don't really mind this scene because it's just Cloud but I'm going to flip something if the rest of the party sees Sephiroth before Jenova escapes the Shinra building.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The part I really loved about the Sephiroth reveal in 7R was how as you follow him through the street, the rubble in Sector 8 starts to turn into Nibelheim, but it’s done in such a way that you don’t immediately notice it, but when you do it adds to the air of Cloud having a full-on explicit psychotic episode.

Also in regards to the game going “gently caress it, here’s Sephiroth,” Yoshinori Kitase was quoted in an interview as basically saying when they worked on the original FF7, they treated Sephiroth like he was the shark from JAWS. They built him up as a scary monster by letting you see the aftermath of what he did, or get fringe glimpses at him in order to nail the eventual reveal because he was such a mystery. Now, 20 years later, literally everyone and their mother knows who Sephiroth is in one way or another, so there was no way they could really pull off the mystery box again, so they leaned into it and just have him show up in the first hour of the game.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
Please play the next scene ASAP so this thread can go into discussion overdrive, TIA

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

The part I really loved about the Sephiroth reveal in 7R was how as you follow him through the street, the rubble in Sector 8 starts to turn into Nibelheim, but it’s done in such a way that you don’t immediately notice it, but when you do it adds to the air of Cloud having a full-on explicit psychotic episode.

Also in regards to the game going “gently caress it, here’s Sephiroth,” Yoshinori Kitase was quoted in an interview as basically saying when they worked on the original FF7, they treated Sephiroth like he was the shark from JAWS. They built him up as a scary monster by letting you see the aftermath of what he did, or get fringe glimpses at him in order to nail the eventual reveal because he was such a mystery. Now, 20 years later, literally everyone and their mother knows who Sephiroth is in one way or another, so there was no way they could really pull off the mystery box again, so they leaned into it and just have him show up in the first hour of the game.

I did a discussion about this for one of my papers in my Masters course. The short of it was when you're doing a remake, do you aim to one-to-one recreate the literal or the emotional? I used RE2 Remake as another example, pointing out that, actually, despite the superficial similarities, the game is tremendously different from RE2 both in overall plot structure and events. But, it excellently captures the emotional beats that RE2 invoked over 20 years ago. I think FF7 very much tries to follow the same.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Without spoilers I'm very much in the camp that believes the writers knew exactly what they are doing with Sephiroth in Remake and there's a very good reason for that.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The team acknowledged this in an interview where they basically said they wanted both those new to the world of FF7 and those familiar with it have a similar emotional experience while going through the game.

A one for one HD remaster would have probably left the OG fans going 'ok, that was nice', but the level of emotional investment wouldn't have been anywhere near as high IMO.

Weed Wolf posted:

Please play the next scene ASAP so this thread can go into discussion overdrive, TIA

Same, as I want to start talking about the prevailing theory I alluded to earlier.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The return of that old enemy, from so long ago.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Some of the snippets of what I’ve seen from later on make me very glad that the devs decided to say “F that” to making as close to a 1:1 remake as possible, while still keeping the same general feel for the key or otherwise iconic points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah I am not going to spoiler anything but: there are reasons they do the things they did in the remake, which were elaborated on in a specific interview, and your (not just elentor, anyone coming into the remake) impression of who is responsible or why they did it is probably wrong.