Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Pretty sure I bought this account to read your FF7 LP

Oops. I love you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

i remember reading your old LP while i i was studying for exams in undergrad :)

also it's so weird hearing badger from breaking bad in a jrpg.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Gideon Emery is also doing a great job hiding his accent as Biggs.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Elentor posted:

Hey, sorry about that. My arm's been acting up. You know, we're gonna have an encore of 10 years ago.

Best of health in these trying times.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

So hype for this. Your original FF7 LP was amazing, finally cleared up the plot that 10 year old me did not understand with my beginner's english.

The Anime Grunt Noises are still really off-putting, imo. Takes me out of the scene since they're so unnatural.

Aeble fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 14, 2020

marasamune
Jan 20, 2006

"Oh! Doctor STILES!"
I don't know if you know this or not, but you can press L2 to change the useless compass at the top of the screen into a mini-map in the corner. Can't remember if it was a tooltip or I found it by accident. Made navigation 1000% easier though.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
About the prologue. The little girl who stops what she's doing and casts a solemn gaze into the distance...was that supposed to be Aerith or does the prologue take place long before she was born?

I mean, she had brown hair and that playground she was at sure seemed to be the same one Aerith will later visit with Cloud...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eshettar posted:

About the prologue. The little girl who stops what she's doing and casts a solemn gaze into the distance...was that supposed to be Aerith or does the prologue take place long before she was born?

I mean, she had brown hair and that playground she was at sure seemed to be the same one Aerith will later visit with Cloud...

I think it's a coincidence or at least should be. I haven't seen her flashback in the Remake yet, but in the original by the time Aeris escapes to Midgar, she is adopted in the slums and that opening scene happens in the upper plate. I'm assuming the reactors were already in place? I actually have no idea of that timeline.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also Aerith has green eyes and that girl's eyes are blue.

I think that slide is just a kind of slide you can get in Midgar and probably exists in multiple playgrounds.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
sweet. i don't have a PS4 so i am looking forward to following along.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
At least in the original timeline, the prologue would've been before she was born - plates went up (or started going up) in 1976, Aerith was born nine years later in 1985.

I'd be surprised if that changed, though.

marasamune posted:

I don't know if you know this or not, but you can press L2 to change the useless compass at the top of the screen into a mini-map in the corner. Can't remember if it was a tooltip or I found it by accident. Made navigation 1000% easier though.

It's also incredibly annoying if you accidentally press L2, turning the minimap off and making you cycle back to it.

It's entirely possible that's just a "me" problem, but.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
I was gonna ask if Midgar became the sprawling hellhole we're all familiar with before or after a certain mad scientist went knocking at Gast and Ifalna's door. But since the girl's eyes don't match Aerith's, it would seem that the answer to that question is academic anyway.

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 14, 2020

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Elentor posted:

I just want more Vagrant Story, is it too much to ask?

I'd be all onboard that train. I'd say it's a pipe dream, but I honestly never through THIS was going to happen so who knows what madness awaits?!
Probably not more Vagrant Story though...

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

FlyTB20C posted:

I'd be all onboard that train. I'd say it's a pipe dream, but I honestly never through THIS was going to happen so who knows what madness awaits?!
Probably not more Vagrant Story though...

We can dream, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Harrow posted:

Also Aerith has green eyes and that girl's eyes are blue.
IRL, people's eye-color often changes as they grow up.

Less so in media, granted. Flashback characters will generally have the same hair style, never mind eye color.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

There's no flashback element to the prologue. The little girl is just a random girl.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, that opening movie was all modern day Midgar, up on the plates.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Honestly I’d just love a proper sequel to FFT. Not some far-flung future like Vagrant Story, or... whatever the hell FFT Advance is to the original.

Also glad to see this being LP’ed on here already (since I don’t have a PS4 and who even knows when or if it’ll come to the other consoles), though I admittedly do think that there’s something lost without the voice acting. I’ve only seen what was in the demo/prologue, but even that had some absolute gems with the delivery that text can’t quite convey.

I’m also glad to see that Cloud is back to being a giant dork who’s putting up what he thinks is a tough guy front.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I do want to ask you all a question going forward - I didn't expect people who didn't play the original. My goal was to do the first LP expecting everyone knows the gist. Do you folks want me to go through the motions with a recap of what's happening?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Elentor posted:

I do want to ask you all a question going forward - I didn't expect people who didn't play the original. My goal was to do the first LP expecting everyone knows the gist. Do you folks want me to go through the motions with a recap of what's happening?

I think it creates too much unnecessary work and retread for you to include recaps in the new updates.

Your original LP is pretty big and a worthwhile read. I would say that folks should go through and read the LP to get a gist if they need it, but I also know that's a tall order.

If you think it is still necessary then maybe just post a link each update to the relevant section of your old LP, so people don't need to re-read the entire thing but they have an easier time to re-reference if it is needed.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Elentor posted:

I'm good, personally. I've played FF7 multiple times, so I can following along with the plot beats. If there's something that references the first LP thread that goes over my head, I'll ask when it comes up... or just go back and read the first LP!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Donkringel posted:

If you think it is still necessary then maybe just post a link each update to the relevant section of your old LP, so people don't need to re-read the entire thing but they have an easier time to re-reference if it is needed.

I think this is the best idea. You did all that work to present the original game already, and there's no point in redoing it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I mean, you could put in a relatively detailed Cliff's Notes recap of the original game, but it's hard to capture the nuances of the story in a summary like that. I'd say people who are not familiar with FFVII would be best served by reading your LP, but I guess the second best option for people without that kind of time would be a summary.

I'm guessing the vast majority of people who are planning to read this have probably already played or read the VII LP already, though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm guessing the vast majority of people who are planning to read this have probably already played or read the VII LP already, though.

Even if you've played the game, you should really read Elentor's original LP though if you've got some time on your hands, it's a joy from start to finish.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Just looking at that LP's OP brings back great memories.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You're supposed to be going into the remake with a working knowledge of ff7, so ideally people should experience the original first. A recap misses a lot of nuance

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

my cat is norris posted:

There's no flashback element to the prologue. The little girl is just a random girl.
The cinematics of the prologue were so that you'd have the girl looking at the big green mako reactor and it'd link with Aerith looking at the green mako leak from the pipes. At first I thought they were the same too, but the eye color and the time doesn't quite match up.

Then I thought about it a bit more and realized there was a far more dire message that was subtly being told. In the scenes, the Girl is facing right and looking up. Aerith is facing left and looking down. You could say that the two of them were having a dialogue through the green Mako energy.
Which means that that little girl grew up, died, entered the lifestream and is being used to power Midgar when Aerith notices the Mako leak.
So you could say that the whole prologue movie bit was Aerith learning that through her 'conversation' with the girl in the Mako, which adds a whole new level to her 'oh wow I can't believe this is still here' phrase about the slide. It's possible that when she went there with Cloud it was the first time she'd been there and she meant her phrase in terms of a memorial, not of her own childhood memory.

I don't have a PS to get the game on, so I have to wait until the LP gets there but this level of supposition and the threads connecting the new prologue to details in the original game are just ace.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Namtab posted:

You're supposed to be going into the remake with a working knowledge of ff7, so ideally people should experience the original first. A recap misses a lot of nuance

I really want to read/see some thoughts from someone who played it without having played the original first. I just don't have the context to know whether/how it stands up at all on its own merits without literally decades of background knowledge.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

EponymousMrYar posted:

So you could say that the whole prologue movie bit was Aerith learning that through her 'conversation' with the girl in the Mako, which adds a whole new level to her 'oh wow I can't believe this is still here' phrase about the slide. It's possible that when she went there with Cloud it was the first time she'd been there and she meant her phrase in terms of a memorial, not of her own childhood memory.

I don't have a PS to get the game on, so I have to wait until the LP gets there but this level of supposition and the threads connecting the new prologue to details in the original game are just ace.

She went there with Zack.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I just noticed it but i think its a shame that in the remakes opening cutscene the logo just appears instead of coinciding with the beam from the shinra tower

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Elentor posted:

I just want more Vagrant Story, is it too much to ask?

I don't know about the rest of you groovy cats but this fan of the Squaresoft library would give anything for a Parasite Eve remake...or failing that, simply for the classic original to be made available for purchase on the European PSN. C'moooooon already! If The 3rd Birthday could get released over here, what excuse can there possibly be for them to withhold one of the two PE games that anyone liked?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My copy finally showed up this morning, so now I can follow along with the LP!

I knew this was coming from the FF7R thread in Games, but I didn't expect it so soon.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Eshettar posted:

I don't know about the rest of you groovy cats but this fan of the Squaresoft library would give anything for a Parasite Eve remake...or failing that, simply for the classic original to be made available for purchase on the European PSN. C'moooooon already! If The 3rd Birthday could get released over here, what excuse can there possibly be for them to withhold one of the two PE games that anyone liked?

Ok yeah this is a franchise in desperate need of a revival.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Parasite Eve is so loving good

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Eshettar posted:

They said in an interview they're thinking about doing something with Parasite Eve again.

The return of Breyakowski, hopefully.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MonsieurChoc posted:

They said in an interview they're thinking about doing something with Parasite Eve again.

The return of Breyakowski, hopefully.

Goddamn I'd love it if they went and did the PE3 PE2 hinted at.

Wasn't PE1 built out of an original concept for FFVII?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It seems like a lot of stuff came about from those brainstorming sessions in 1994-5. Off the top of my head are FFVII, FFVIII, FFXIII, Chrono Trigger, and Parasite Eve. I may be missing one or two?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Xenogears, probably. Think I remember that being floated as an FF7 possibility before being dismissed.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

HD DAD posted:

It seems like a lot of stuff came about from those brainstorming sessions in 1994-5. Off the top of my head are FFVII, FFVIII, FFXIII, Chrono Trigger, and Parasite Eve. I may be missing one or two?

God, if we could just distill and bottle that, we'd be rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

zenguitarman posted:

Parasite Eve is so loving good

Even 3rd Birthday?