Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
sweet. i don't have a PS4 so i am looking forward to following along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Elentor posted:

I do want to ask you all a question going forward - I didn't expect people who didn't play the original. My goal was to do the first LP expecting everyone knows the gist. Do you folks want me to go through the motions with a recap of what's happening?

I'm good, personally. I've played FF7 multiple times, so I can following along with the plot beats. If there's something that references the first LP thread that goes over my head, I'll ask when it comes up... or just go back and read the first LP!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
that flashback gave me flashbacks to FF7. guessing that becomes a recurring thing? too much leaning on nostalgia?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It definitely looks like something cobbled together by someone who has an idea of what armour is supposed to look like versus an actual armourer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Maybe it's polystyrene foam and Jessie is an ecoterrorist cosplayer?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
link?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Elentor posted:

Speaking of funbucks, friendly reminder that the $2,500 Sephiroth and Cloud watches sold out almost immediately.

how many did you buy? :mrgw:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i have heard both pronunciation for the shark. i figured it was a regional thing :shrug:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Merriam-Webster recognizes both pronunciations, so don't feel bad about pronouncing it either way!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ApeHawk posted:

I pronounce it Mack-o.

:hmmyes:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
English is a beautiful gem of a language. The Great Vowel Shift included.

Mako, mako, and mako are all correct imo.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
there's a longer answer! i am phone posting atm and will pop in with a better answer in a bit.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TheParadigm posted:

From what I understand its a classy/pushy thing: your'e discouraged to put it everywhere to the point where its gets annoying, but its acceptable to like, throw it in an op somewhere and let people go there if they want to. The difference being hawking vs unobtrusiveness, I think.

Just to quickly address this: Yes, essentially! At least this is how we've run it in LP. It's been like this for a while, before I was mod of LP, and that was largely to deal with what was then a large influx of YouTube LPers dropping in to spam their channels or gimmicks or what-have-you to cash in on that sweet, sweet Something Awful Let's Play Subforum Superstardom! It's not really an issue with our current community, but the rule has stuck. We mostly enforce it when it becomes obtrusive and is clearly an example of xXx420WeedGokuSephinroth69xXx shilling for themselves and their facecam LPs with 80-second long intros.

From the Rules Thread:

Fedule posted:

Rules for posting LPs:
  • Don't shill for donations!

This is actually a forum-wide rule but bears repeating here. It is not against the rules to have a tip jar or a Patreon or whatever - who doesn't, these days? - but don't go plugging it in your thread.

However, if you're streaming for charity (eg, Extra Life) and are encouraging viewers to donate to that instead of to you personally, that's fine by us.

Now even before I was a mod, it's been discouraged to post asking for money on Something Awful in general. It's not codified in the Forums Rules (which are ancient), but it's been treated as common law from what I've seen as a user and now as a mod. Hence, the "forum-wide" wording. There have been enough examples in SA history of goons being scammed out of their money that asking for it is essentially verboten. Even advertising a product has to get run by a mod or risk being gassed. There are exceptions, obviously, such as musicians in NDM posting their albums, but that's always been the case.

Luna Was Here posted:

Can you explain this one, specifically the bolded part? It's not mentioned anywhere in the rules, and there are several notable high traffic threads that feature either direct links to a patreon or some other form of goon made merchandise, such as the kill 6 billion demons thread, the nail thread, or several goon game projects whenever those pop up in Games? Why are Patreons not allowed here when they're seemingly allowed everywhere else?

The rule is frequently relaxed for goon-made merchandise. I can't and won't speak for the subforums I'm unfamiliar with, but I know that often goon games are asked to be advertised.

But to answer the last question: They're not allowed everywhere else, as far as I can tell. Again, exceptions have been set up. I believe there's been a blanket exemption in TG, but I really only get into the nitty-gritty mechanics of this subforum, so I can't speak too much towards the others. Most of my time outside of LP is shitposting. (I know. I do the same thing here).

That said, LPers are creating content and creators should be able be paid for content, yes? The timing of this is funny because the question was raised in the mod forum three weeks ago; we are currently discussing this very issue! Unfortunately, it got shelved to deal with other fires in the forums at large, but these questions are good and remind me to prod that thread.

edit: for broken quote

Sally fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 5, 2020

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Elentor posted:

Hey Dash, thank you for your reply. Regardless, I appreciate what happened. I don't know T-Rex, but I'm happy they did what they did - I didn't because I just thought it'd be deleted anyway. I'm infinitely thankful to you T-Rex, for what you did. I hope in the future you folks consider these rules but I trust your judgment. Just know that the help I got from goons was invaluable and I still have no words to describe it. I honestly expected my situation to last for a long time. To say the Patreon support I'm getting is a life-changer would be the understatement of the century.

I think T-Rex's posts came from a real good place and I think your cause is just. I've been following the thread so I saw the link go up right away. I decided to look the other way until the damage could be done, so to speak.

I am genuinely glad to hear you are well!

edit: for clarity

Sally fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 5, 2020

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Marmaduke! posted:

Had to dig this old post out...

Everyone knows Barret's missed a T

:vince:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Namtab posted:

I think just one link to a patreon or whatever in an OP is sufficient to reflect that LP isnt a pseudo-hobby anymore.

I am momentarily going to interrupt pun appreciation chat, because this is relevant to this thread:

Good news everyone! The discussions in the mod forum have been fruitful and we're going to be trying this out:

Fedule posted:

:ducksiren:Exciting LP Rules Update:ducksiren:

We are trialing a rule change in LP which will create an exemption - a very specific exemption - to the site-wide ban on linking to personal tip-jars, Patreons, etc.

The rule will be this: You are permitted to link your Patreon/Ko-Fi/PayPal/etc once, with a short blurb, in the OP of your LP thread. Don't post it more than once, or at all outside your OP, and don't labour the point after the fact.

This change would align LP's rules with those of other forums in which people posting the fruits of their labour are entitled to collect donations from appreciative readers, in recognition of the fact that LPs take effort to produce and you all are graciously making them available for free.

Many LP posters have Patreons, and everybody knows it. We have long taken the view that we won't object to people plugging this stuff in their work as long as they don't post it on the forums. This has done well enough as a policy, but a number of people have observed that this just serves as a fig leaf that also happens to do nothing for SSLP folks. We've heard these observations, and we're convinced, so we took them to the admin team, and it seems they see the sense in it too. So, we're testing a new policy that will level this field a bit.

As mentioned, this is a trial. That means:

1) We want to hear your thoughts on this. Great idea? Terrible idea? Happy? Astonished?

2) We reserve the right to roll it back if we find that we regret doing it.

We are trusting you when it comes to not crossing the line into shilling. Lots of people abusing that trust is the kind of thing that will cause us to regret this trial. But we hope it won't come to that, because when it comes down to it, we think the work people do for LP is work that people should be able to toss you a buck or two for.

Please click Fedule's quote to the link in the Sandcastle for discussion! Of course if anyone has questions here I'll answer, but I also don't want to distract from the thread's real purpose...

...that Barret pun.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this thread is rapidly turning into a redacted gov't document...

let's ease up on that and wait for the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i am just happy Emperor Palpatine has found another franchise to appear in!