Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

gently caress yes I get to be in an LP from the ground up.

This entire opening cinematic had me waxing nostalgic while grinning like a loon when I was playing the demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

zenguitarman posted:

Parasite Eve is so loving good

Even 3rd Birthday?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

You know Wedge would be totally rocking the body armor - if they could find some that fit him :smith:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Really happy to see you're back and doing well Elentor.

Elentor posted:

So here's how things go. I have no idea how this game's mechanics really work. If I turn around does that mean the boss will miss me? Is the boss dealing this specific type of damage to me because I'm standing right in front of it like a dummy?

This game was my first taste of action-oriented RPGs since the last game in the series I played was FFX and the last one i completed was FFIX. After a lot of trial and error (and easing into things via Easy mode), I figured out some key battle-related guidelines (particularly when it comes to bosses):

1. If, like me, your reactions are not that fast, don't worry too much about trying to dodge attacks and focus on blocking them with R1 when you see them coming.
2. Keep an eye on the enemy's life bar - if it's about to use a particular attack, the attack's name will likely appear above the life bar so you have some advance warning.
3. Enemies tend to focus on the active character, so a good tactic is to frequently switch characters so that the damage and attention is split among your team. this also helps you build up ATB faster for the team, since the characters you're not controlling tend to play more defensive and attack less.
4. The game rewards you for trying to use your mobility - circle around enemies to hit them from the sides or rear - some enemies have separate pieces (like arms or legs) that take damage separately, and targeting those first by moving to the side where the part is usually helps a lot.
5. Several types of enemies are difficult to hit or damage just using regular attacks - this is the game encouraging you to try different abilities/tactics as finding the right weakness usually means you can stagger or even kill right away.

Once I got used to the combat, things clicked for me and I started really enjoying the battle system.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

Honestly the only complaint I have about resources is that it seems that MP is way too sparse, or the regen is way too little to be relevant.

Can't go into specifics yet without spoiling some key game mechanics, but MP being what it is seems to be an indicator that the game wants you to rely on abilities first over spells.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've learned the hard way to switch characters as soon as the one I've been actively building up ATB on for an action has the needed bar, so that the enemy's attention is away from the character I need to act.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

Has Dark appeared in other FF games?

Does the Dark Knight in FFIV count?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ilmucche posted:

I'm also excited for the eventual marching minigame.

You monster.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The impact of the reactor explosion in the OG felt more abstract cos you just see a handful of people running around with minimal dialogue before you meet Aerith.

I literally went "Fuuuuck..." when I saw this scene in my first playthrough. It felt more real to me.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Without jumping into spoiler territory Elentor, I hope you pay close attention to the BGM during or right after that scene.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Cloacamazing! posted:

They did overuse Sephiroth for the game.

The prevailing theory dives into this and posits an in-character reason for it.

anakha fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 17, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The team acknowledged this in an interview where they basically said they wanted both those new to the world of FF7 and those familiar with it have a similar emotional experience while going through the game.

A one for one HD remaster would have probably left the OG fans going 'ok, that was nice', but the level of emotional investment wouldn't have been anywhere near as high IMO.

Weed Wolf posted:

Please play the next scene ASAP so this thread can go into discussion overdrive, TIA

Same, as I want to start talking about the prevailing theory I alluded to earlier.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Elentor posted:

Alright, game, surprise me.

I really hope it does for you. :hfive:

Just wanted to add on to what you've theorized in this latest update.

So I mentioned previously about the BGM that plays right after that first confrontation between Sephiroth and Cloud. When I first heard it, I thought it sounded familiar, so I tried searching for the title of that track, which I only discovered once the full OST was out. To my surprise, it was actually a remix of this track from Advent Children.

The devs put that particular track at that point of this game for a reason (and there are no other AC tracks in this game AFAIK), and the prevailing theory I alluded to earlier springs from that.

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 23, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Chapter 2 is one of my favorites in this game as well, due to that whole sequence of fights with the accompanying music after Aerith runs off. The way the music builds and almost but not quite hits the same notes like the original battle theme during the battle with the first group of troopers, then settles into a more restrained remix between battles that keeps the tension simmering.

The way it starts building again during the battles at the fountain, then finally crests into the original battle theme during the last fight with the Huntsman, :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

One entire disc of the OST is devoted to a single chapter of the game. That's insane.