Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
hell yeah hell yeah hell yeah hell yeah

ain't never ever ever gettin' off this train we on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The really huge differentiator from FFXIII is that in XIII staggering was so generic between enemies and almost always required; every enemy was staggered in the same way and had the same basic minigame going on; hit 'em with the spells, throw in the occasional physicals, get them over the threshold, get them in the air, make number go up, then calculate the most efficient time to switch to three commandos and fill the screen with 9s. It wasn't bad, but there was only so much to do with it. It was so fundamental to XIII that the final boss was literally invulnerable unless staggered.

In VII-R, it feels much more organic. You don't need to maintain the meter and almost everything you do will add some stagger, and on more than a few mooks it's not even really necessary, but, where it does come up, enemies are hugely varied in how (and when) you get them staggered, and what's the most optimal thing to hit them with once you do. It makes the enemies much more characteristic, rather than them just being big balls of slightly different numbers.

In contrast the most interesting XIII ever got with this stuff was, there was, uh, I forget the context, but I remember there being a group of mobs whose gimmick was you had to stagger them all at the same time, or something.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
God in retrospect Lightning Returns was almost literally the foundation upon which VII-R was built, right down to managing three characters' ATB gauges and switching between them. Hell, the only thing it really lacked was the ability to desync your three "characters" so you could have them all acting at the same time.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There's a surprising amount of tech in this game. I keep expecting to learn someone has dodge offset.

The thing is, though, some of it's innate, but a lot of it is set up with materia. You end up mixing and matching little mechanics between your characters with their materia and their innates and build everyone into weird little tech machines. Something I like about this game is that because of the nature of materia the game winds up being pretty readable in the sense that it's not usually very counterintuitive to think about what might pair well with what else, because you broadly know what all the things are and what they do (although sometimes this game does also have issues with the parts of the game that tell you what stuff does).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I super hate having to be the bad guy when it comes to stuff like this, but I've removed the link to Elentor's Patreon a few posts back in accordance with forum-wide rules against linking personal fundraisers... even when, frankly, they're completely justified.

...Of course, just because it can't be linked from here doesn't mean you can't very easily seek it out yourself, if you're so inclined.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've not noticed any issues with Lpix lately, here or elsewhere. Sometimes it has iffy days, I guess?

So yeah, this game is notably spicier on the ol' difficulty than vanilla VII and honestly I'm kinda here for it. It usually manages to strike a really good balance between being challenging and being possible, between asking for preparedness and clairvoyance, and, somehow, finally, between being an RPG and being an action game. I can't stress that last one enough. This is the "action-RPG" that Square Enix have been trying, and failing, to design since as far back as the original Kingdom Hearts and up to FFXV. But they did it. They finally did it.

The first really important thing it needs you to learn is that you gotta be switching characters constantly. When characters are controlled by the AI they take less damage (both passively and becuase the AI is actually really good at blocking and/or moving out of the way) and gain less ATB, and also will never use magic, abilities or unique attacks. The upshot is, you wind up switching between characters for big actions much like you did in vanilla FFVII. But when you're in control of a given character, you're playing it like an action game; you do little combos, you block and (sometimes) dodge, and use a couple of other systems depending on character that might variously reward timing, or positioning, or management of some abstract mechanic.

Everything is really good, and impeccably balanced. A decently generalist build will struggle sometimes but will always be able to struggle through without a game over. There is an extent to which you might also be able to predict what kinds of setups might be appropriate for enemies ahead, and build around it, too. Remake is very good about rewarding both mastery of the battle system and proper leveraging of the RPG system, even when you can't break it all apart as fully as you could at times in vanilla VII.

It's so good.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
If there is a single characteristic Design Crime in Remake it is how several bosses are hard gated into different phases and phase transitions completely reset the stagger meter. And somehow, invariably, you'll always finally get that stagger and gear up for a huge assault right when the phase shifts. Like come on. You'd think they could make these a bit more reactive. FFXIII was actually really good about this, with only a single boss I can think of that really did any stagger gauge bullshit and even then it was kind of his gimmick.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There's a fair bit of stuff in the OG with which this idea is completely consistent, though it's definitely a change for the story to so blatantly show it. Still, Remake makes some hay with it, eventually, so I can't be too irritated about it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
You can also like walk around behind them and hit them in the back. That's pretty funny to do.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This game's soundtrack comes on seven loving CDs (and a bonus disk if you get the physical version) and it's all incredible. And there's so much. Just when you think there can't possibly be any more arrangements of Those Who Fight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
If you don't mind spoilers for Remake you should definitely check out Jacob Geller's video Life in the Shadow of Midgar, it goes all into the astonishing realisation of the setting. If you do mind spoilers maybe keep it bookmarked and come back later.