Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My copy finally showed up this morning, so now I can follow along with the LP!

I knew this was coming from the FF7R thread in Games, but I didn't expect it so soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dash Rendar posted:

Maybe it's polystyrene foam and Jessie is an ecoterrorist cosplayer?

A pox upon you for reminding me of that video!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Med School posted:

Isn’t there a long established history of metal boob plate armor in the fantasy genre? I feel like they’re just walking in the footsteps of their forefathers.

Do you think Cloud has a big magnet to keep his sword on his back? (Being serious here)

According to reddit, yes, it's a magnet.

Elentor posted:

I could swear at some point the canon was that Sword's holes were to attach it to his back and not materia slots. Someone please find the source and tell me I was not hallucinating this.

According to the Behind The Scenes section of the FFWiki:

"In the earliest concept sketches (see Gallery) Cloud's sword was smaller and thinner and had a single slot used to attach the weapon to a stud on Cloud's back. The handle had a hanging chain similar to Squall's Revolver in Final Fantasy VIII. A magnet on the suspender on Cloud's back was used to hold the sword in place."

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

rbakervv posted:

I think it's the Ce'Nedra effect.
For those who don't know, in David Edding's fantasy series, The Belgariad: Ce'Nedra was a half-dryad queen who found herself having to rally the troops while her husband was off sneaking into enemy territory on an heroic mission. Unfortunately, due to her dryad blood, she looked younger then she was and found it hard to impress anyone. So she commissioned a big, fancy, light-weight, impractical, and completely useless suit of armor, with yes, boob-plate(to make up for the fact she really didn't have boobs). She had to argue hard and fast to get the blacksmith to even make it, because it was a totally useless design.

But it helped her look more like a warrior queen, so her inspiring speeches worked better.

Maybe Jessie is just flat as a board under that armor, and it helps her confidence?

That thought crossed my mind, but I didn't know anyone else here was nerd enough to know who the Eddings were. I re-read The Belgariad, The Mallorean, Belgarath The Sorcerer, Polgara The Sorceress, The Elenium, The Tamuli, and my all-time favorite, The Redemption Of Althalus all the time. I just started re-reading Pol recently.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Jesse's breastplate just means she keeps up with fashion. This Tom Ford piece was big a few months back:

yours for only $15,000.

But how many Squeenix Funbux is that? Because I got a code for 25 Squeenix Funbux with my deluxe copy of the game...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

I think we've gotten to the point in the game where we can bring up the biggest question the remake asks, and this is going to focus entirely on people who played the original or followed any LP of the original:

Show of hands, how many people think that the VA's are pronouncing "MAKO" wrong?

There's no pronunciation key (that I've ever seen) for this made up word, but I know that I and several other people I've talked to always pronounced it as "MAY-ko", but clearly Barret says it like "MAH-ko". For me it's because there is a kind of shark called a Mako, and it's pronounced like the first example.

It's just weird to my ears. Did they pronounce it like that for the EU stuff? Did it even come up there?

Yes, it comes up in the EU stuff. If you check out The Dark ID's LP of Dirge Of Cerberus, he posted a video of the opening cinematic, and Vincent says Mah-ko when he tells Yuffie to check the mako cannon.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

I got the engine right :colbert:

And the name.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

From the previous update, but the Laser Dodge was SO much better than the stupid Everyone Hit The Button At The Same Time In This Super Zoomed Out Minigame! of the original.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

That's from Reactor 5 and we haven't gotten there yet.

Just so you know.

I though... drat. I misremebered. :negative:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

Has Dark appeared in other FF games?

Yes, quite often:

FF4 - DK Cecil's gear is all Dark Element, doing Dark Elemental damage when attacking physically
FF9 - It's called Shadow instead of Dark, and is attached to various spells, gear, add-ons, and two Summons
FF11 - A lot of poo poo uses it
FF12 - It's an element attached to spells, attacks, gear, and Espers
FF14 - Like 9, it has a different name, Umbral, and is mostly attached to spells
FF15 - Only enemy Daemons have access to Spells/Skills/Gear that uses Dark
FFT - The Summon, Lich, is Dark Element
FFTA - Mostly attached to weapons, though 2 spells also use it
FFTA2 - Like 11, a lot of poo poo uses it

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Zurai posted:

Don't worry, Remake keeps up the proud tradition of "Oh good lord this is a terrible minigame" from the original.

I can't wait for Chocobo racing. /sarcasm

Yeah, the original was so full of minigames. It's why I can't go back and replay it now.

ilmucche posted:

I hope they keep the rad submarine and snowboarding mini games. I loved those when I was younger so don't tell me they actually sucked.

Every mini game in FF7O was bad HTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vadoc posted:

Who the gently caress is still sober in this year?

I don't drink.