Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Aces High posted:

oh, never read to me as armour the same as what other characters were wearing but then maybe I just wasn't paying attention in the original.

just looks kind of goofy when the Shinra people have firearms and Barret has an M134 attached to his arm :shrug:

Why, it's only fair. Shinra has firearms, so Barret also gets a firearm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

But for everyone else that's swimming in cash, you can buy one right now on Ebay... for, y'know, twice the price on the Squeenix shop. :capitalism:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

I think we've gotten to the point in the game where we can bring up the biggest question the remake asks, and this is going to focus entirely on people who played the original or followed any LP of the original:

Show of hands, how many people think that the VA's are pronouncing "MAKO" wrong?

There's no pronunciation key (that I've ever seen) for this made up word, but I know that I and several other people I've talked to always pronounced it as "MAY-ko", but clearly Barret says it like "MAH-ko". For me it's because there is a kind of shark called a Mako, and it's pronounced like the first example.

It's just weird to my ears. Did they pronounce it like that for the EU stuff? Did it even come up there?

It's a made-up Japanese word that the original localization didn't care to translate. So, yeah, it is mah-ko (魔晄).

The opposite happened in VI, where Woolsey actually localized 魔道 (Mah-do) as MagiTek.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

LiefKatano posted:

That's an interesting recurrence there. Was it intentional?

If it was I couldn't blame them for skipping over trying to keep any consistency, though. What'd you call it? Magijuice?

I doubt there's any deep significance here. For one, 魔道 is an actual word that could've been translated literally, but Woolsey decided to localize it in a way that fit what it actually was in VI.

魔晄, meanwhile, is made up terminology. In fantasy/sci-fi settings, JP can very easily create new words for stuff by just mixing and matching their kanji, and each one has several meanings which, together, signify different concepts.

As for how you could localize it, it depends on how creative you are with making up new words in EN. If you're not, you could easily look to several religions and call it Mana, Prana, etc, or look to dead languages and call it something like Lux.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 19, 2020

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Wikipedia says the IPA spelling for mako in "shortfin mako shark" is /ˈmɑːkoʊ/, whereas the ɑ sound is the same 'a' sound in "father", and the oʊ sound is the 'o' sound in "code". In short, the shark is also mah-ko.

So that's twice the word mako has bamboozled English-speakers! :v:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/hannyalune/status/1279875304622886919

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I've never really been keen on the FF7 general battle theme so it popping up in Remake finally was just "Okay..." Now the boss theme on the other hand... :haw::hf::getin:

This game has such an amazing soundtrack. I never felt particularly attached to the original FF7 and I'd still put this as one of the best OSTs of the past decade.