Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Elentor's first run of that boss fight looked much like my own, and many others I would imagine. I think she's on to something about it being designed that way... I am much, much farther into the game and I can't think of many other fights that push you toward the brink that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

I feel like that fight specifically was really beautifully done from a game design perspective because it forces you to learn about the mechanics you need to know, without being overwhelmingly difficult. Taking away the characters and environment that we all love, it's interesting to look at some of the choices they made. I won't spoil anything but I feel like there are awesome, difficult fights that feel really rewarding once you figure them out, and other ones which are just horrific slogs whether you understand the weaknesses and mechanics you should use or not. The "hardest" fights have been some of my favourites and there are others which might not be as hard, but they fully suck.

Excellent points.

Weeble posted:

One word. Just one word.

Hellhouse

Burned so many phoenix downs on that fight.

I died a lot less on that fight than I would have reasonably expected, but yeah, I came out with substantially fewer phoenix downs than I went in with too. It's definitely one of the few fights that really push you to the limit, but I agree with PT6A...

PT6A posted:

This goes into the categories of "fights which can eat my whole entire rear end."

It kinda sucks. :v:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hargrimm posted:

That's the worst, limits are already super slow to generate and rare to use with the new system, getting one wasted through no fault of your own is just a bummer.

Barret's so drat slow I think I only saw his limit at all like 4 times over 40 hours of play

poo poo, I haven't seen it yet, I don't think.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

One stream I was watching was complaining about people "being bad at games" and using Elixirs too freely, and he ended the game with like 10 loving elixirs or something stupid because he never used any of them. Who's the bigger idiot then?

Pfffft. I stopped doing that bullshit about five Tales games ago. I will use Elixirs, et cetera, as often as I can. Obviously not in fights with random mooks, but anything miniboss level or higher is fair game. Thus far I've used every Elixir I've picked up in FFVIIR to pull my rear end out of a clutch moment against something.

LiefKatano posted:

ATB commands definitely feel like they should have more super armor than they do.

I agree on that point 100%. It kinda sucks that any enemy can knock you out of virtually any ATB action, and it's really my only major complaint about the game so far. It feels like I'm playing Dark Souls 3 sometimes. :rant:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I love how Aerith just nopes the gently caress out, there. I had a good laugh the first time I saw it in-game.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
OK, that scene where the jeep cuts you off and starts the fight with the Huntsman.

That is the first time in this game the classic Final Fantasy VII battle music plays.

This entire sequence has a tense, low-key version of it playing in the background, and it's just slowly building up. Then, the instant you get control of Cloud after the jeep cutscene, the battle music kicks into high gear, and in the words of a close friend of mine, it sounds like the original felt.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Let The Battles Begin!

Regardless of whether this sequence is just filler or padding, or whatever you want to call it--that moment was goddamn powerful for me, to the point I had to pause the game and curl up on my couch for a couple minutes because I couldn't stop shaking and crying. Hell, listening to the battle music two months later still gives me goosebumps.

Most of what I know about the original game is through osmosis--listening to other people talk about it, hearing the music through filesharing and YouTube, reading Elentor's original LP. I couldn't play the original game. I just bounced off of it, disappointed that I couldn't bring myself to enjoy it because I have a difficult time with old-school JRPGs. As a result I have more nostalgia for what my imagination told me FFVII was than the actual game itself... nostalgia for the concept of FFVII, which has been built up in my head for the last 20 years.

When the battle music hit its crescendo here, I couldn't hold it back any more, and I wept.

I know things are different, and everybody has their quibbles with the presentation and the battle system and whatever else. None of that really matters to me.

After 20 years, I finally get to experience Final Fantasy VII.

Buckle the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate the generic NPCs in the same way I appreciate the generic NPCs in Kingdom Hearts 3. Every single little incidental line of dialogue is voiced and the game is stuffed to the gills with the bastards, which makes everywhere you go really feel like a living place, even if actually interacting with some of them is occasionally jarring.