Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Hey Elentor, it's great to see you back! I think I still associate your voice with Aps for some reason!

Very excited to see this as a screenshot LP too. Keeps it different from the boatloads of videos out there, better for the little details.

Although on a video note:

Elentor posted:

Truth be told, the JP VA in this game is... surprisingly restrained. For real, let's compare the English and Japanese versions:

ENGLISH

JAPANESE

This is held true for the rest of the game as far as I've seen. Y'all ask me, I just don't know what's going on. Maybe after working so long in the industry, I reckon the VAs got a serious case of the Dissidias. Maybe the VA Directors thought it'd be nice to give more work for their colleagues and get the VAs a nicer paycheck for all their troubles. I'm not judging. We all gotta pay our bills. And sometimes the only way to pay your bills is to make anime noises.
This BLOWS MY MIND. I've been blaming SE for this the whole time!

Even the guard getting taken out sounds more realistic and restrained. Instead of big doofy mouth noises, its basically just breaths. Jessie delivering that kick without PANTING is so much cooler. It's like people on an actual mission. Goddamn.

I think Cloud's voice acting is a pretty good fit, but I have a lot of issues with the casting and direction of a lot of the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Game design peeps: Would it have solved things or helped If they'd showed a new health bar for each phase?

I suppose it'd make it harder to prioritise item use, etc. if you can't tell how long the fight is going to be.

And I guess segmenting the healthbar into phases would spoil the surprises?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hate, hate, hate the Reactor inside-job change. One of the worst things they did. It makes the idea of Shinra conspiratorially dropping the plate way less shocking, because we're shown they'd blow up their own people and blame the terrorists right off the bat. You completely lose that level of escalation and villainy.

The idea of ragtag eco terrorists making unpredictable bombs in the slums and what that really means is such a rich story to play with too, but now the Remake has all these mixed messages on it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Onmi posted:

Yeah, there are at least two moments in OG FF7 were it's implied that not only is the reactor bomb extremely strange, but that Shinra is already aware of and allowing it to happen for their own game (The entire reactor 5 mission, which has President Shinra mock their actions as a waste of fireworks, in the hideout, Jessie wonders what happened with the Bomb to begin with, as she followed the specifications.)
I always put that down to the fact she was just a random person making bombs from guides on the internet. AVALANCHE shouldn't be good at this, they're not trained, and a bigger explosion than intended is the kind of thing that happens.

OG Jessie's line is "What a blast. Think it was all because of my bomb? But all I really did was just make it like the computer told me. Oh no! I must've made a miscalculation somewhere."

I think it's a helluva reach to think this line implies an otherwise unmentioned conspiracy plot, as opposed to someone just making a mistake. And the latter is a far more interesting story. Especially when OG Jessie's final words on the plate support are wondering if she deserved to die for killing so many people.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
No more anime grunt noise comparisons then, haha? (Glad to see you back by the way!)

I just keep thinking how much more meaningful this segment would be if it was your fault (the game literally makes you, the player, set the timer on the bomb, after all), and not secretly Shinra's doing.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Can anyone tell a dumb english person who doesn't know the phonetic alphabet how Zé Farofa is pronounced? All I know is that r is either a h or silent in Brazilian Portuguese - so Zay Fah-ho-fa?

quote:

Ultimately, I don't think anyone reading this wants (I hope) for me to give my honest opinion.
Is this a typo because I do?

quote:

Is this a seamless shift to CG here?

quote:

Then I had a scary thought. What if the comedic timing of Cloud turning and seeing Sephiroth was unintentional and instead I'm meant to be, like, super scared and startled at this revelation.
I absolutely think this is the case. Think it's one part chesty fanservice, but also intended to be a legit OMG moment.

The MGS1/Shadow Hearts translator Jeremy Blaustein talked once about how cheesy B-movie vibes are very genuine and popular in Japan (I think specifically on the subject of the lines involving "Love blooming on the battlefield"). From what we see in Japanese games, I assume this is still the case because it explains a lot of stuff like this. :shrug:

quote:

Fun fact: I have a friend who has never played a Final Fantasy and screams Nomura jokingly whenever she's shopping and finds a piece riddled with zippers.
Love it.

quote:

Jesus, I never noticed the detail here with the sweat. I'm also iffy about the excessive sephirothing but gotta appreciate the artistry and hard work that went into stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Hot take o'clock: I really can't stand Aerith's English voice!

I know the VA pretty much sounds like that IRL and seems like a nice youtuber who was super enthusiastic about the part, but she just sounds like generic cloying high pitched unnatural anime little girl and it really grates on me. The mocap being very cutesy anime pose is also not helping.

We're pretty early on here so there's not much to go off, but I seem to be the only one who doesn't think she was a good fit, and I wonder what I'm missing. I think Jessie's voice would fit her better?

But there's also the battle between the confident badass "Are you done?" Aeris of the OG that I remember and am probably overcorrecting for the submissive "staff chick" stereotype the EU made her into. The truth is probably in the middle. :shrug: