Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't usually participate in LP threads but I'm real excited for this one! :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFIX remake for Switch with the original art style and environments done with Bravely Default style, with the whole pop-up book aesthetic

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a remake of I ?

Several, yes. They're all easier than the original but that's partially because they rebalance away some of the bullshit. I played the GBA one and it was pretty fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also Aerith has green eyes and that girl's eyes are blue.

I think that slide is just a kind of slide you can get in Midgar and probably exists in multiple playgrounds.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

There is kind of a key difference between FF13 stagger and FF7R stagger.

FF13's stagger constantly increases the bonus damage - in fact, even when an enemy isn't actually staggered, you get bonus damage, it's just that getting staggered gets you an extra 100% added on. FF7R has stagger be a static +60% to damage taken, modified by some abilities we get later on.

Due to this there isn't the COM(/SAB)/RAV balancing act of actually increasing the number and making sure you can maintain that bonus; stagger doesn't drop at all until the enemy actually gets staggered. (...Then it feels like it drops super quick, at least compared to 13, but maybe that's just me!)

The rate at which the stagger meter drains once an enemy is staggered seems to depend on the enemy. Some enemies/bosses stay staggered for a really long time, while others have very small stagger windows. It always sucks to use those stagger damage modifier boosting attacks you mentioned but then not actually have time to capitalize them on some bosses :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can understand why they'd want to hard gate boss phases and not let you just skip them if you can do enough damage--I'm sure that would break a lot of scripting--but it'd be nice to at least know at what HP breakpoints a phase change is coming so you don't blow all your ATB and limits when a boss's stagger is about to reset and they go invulnerable. Even just having hashmarks on the HP meters where the phase transitions are coming would help.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, the emphasis on blocking over dodging took me a long time to get used to. My instinct in action games is to dodge everything (or parry if it's an option) but the lack of i-frames on the dodge in FF7R means that blocking is much more often the better option. There are attacks that you can and even should dodge-roll away from, but again it took me a long time to learn which ones those were.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

As someone who broke his ankle the day he had to move out of his apartment, you can move on it if the alternative is death or paying another month's rent. It will cause you to have a hernia, though

drat, I spoiled the next chapter

That's your healing materia tutorial, casting Cure on Jessie so she can power through her brand new hernia

(also digging the Happy Endings av)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I don't think there's ever any more detail than: mako gets sucked up from the planet into a reactor -> the reactor does a thing with the mako -> electricity happens

Then the electricity travels through power lines and powers stuff like you'd expect as long as you pay your bill to the Shinra Electric Power Company