Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Definitely LOVELESS.

Thanks for doing this Elentor, your original LP prompted me go back and replay FFVII for the first time in forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm guessing the vast majority of people who are planning to read this have probably already played or read the VII LP already, though.

Even if you've played the game, you should really read Elentor's original LP though if you've got some time on your hands, it's a joy from start to finish.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Namtab posted:

You're supposed to be going into the remake with a working knowledge of ff7, so ideally people should experience the original first. A recap misses a lot of nuance

I really want to read/see some thoughts from someone who played it without having played the original first. I just don't have the context to know whether/how it stands up at all on its own merits without literally decades of background knowledge.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't think she ever elaborates on it in here or especially in the original, but I think she's actually talking about Avalanche command. In the FFVII "expanded universe" Avalanche has been around in some form for a good while, and isn't just a Barret pet project. She talks to someone in Avalanche HQ, who theoretically gets access codes from some other ShinRa source.

That was my interpretation of this scene too.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I didn't. Now I can't unsee that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DrakePegasus posted:

Tryhard tip: Barret’s Square finisher shares the same animation as Recharge does after using Overcharge. If you hit Triangle at that moment you can boost the meter’s refilling by the same amount as Recharge without sacrificing the damage of holding down Square.

Cloud has a similar trick. You can hit Triangle to switch to Punisher mode while blocking attacks in Operator. Do this with correct timing while blocking a melee attack and the counter-attack will trigger, even though you started in Operator. This lets you block ranged damage while fishing for a melee attack.

I knew about the Cloud tech, but had no idea about the Barret thing. That's a great tip!