Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Hell loving yeah. Elentor, just wanted to drop by and say that while I missed the original LP while you were posting it -I bookmarked it and then just got intimidated as the posts kept skyrocketing up while I was busy with school- I went through the entire thing in two days this week and this couldn't be better timed.

Really looking forward to your thoughts on the game, especially since you singlehandedly turned around my opinions about the original -- I'd never played it and just learned bits and pieces from osmosis, mostly from the EU and the mid-2000's/early 2010's fanbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Yes, quite often:

FF4 - DK Cecil's gear is all Dark Element, doing Dark Elemental damage when attacking physically
FF9 - It's called Shadow instead of Dark, and is attached to various spells, gear, add-ons, and two Summons
FF11 - A lot of poo poo uses it
FF12 - It's an element attached to spells, attacks, gear, and Espers
FF14 - Like 9, it has a different name, Umbral, and is mostly attached to spells
FF15 - Only enemy Daemons have access to Spells/Skills/Gear that uses Dark
FFT - The Summon, Lich, is Dark Element
FFTA - Mostly attached to weapons, though 2 spells also use it
FFTA2 - Like 11, a lot of poo poo uses it

Actually, Dark in XIV is Astral, not Umbral. At least, it is as of the last expansion. Considering the etymology of "Umbral", that just makes it super confusing, but there it is.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

No it’s not? the point they’re making in shadowbringers is that the eorzeans were wrong about what light and dark energies do, in that umbral/shadow represents growth and astral/light represents stasis rather than destruction and creation, not that they were wrong about which element was which.

Sir SamVimes beat me to the punch, but to elaborate more on it, the Astral/Umbral divide in Sharlayan terminology gets the elements reversed because of cultural associations with what is and isn't good. For instance, "Astral" eras are periods of life and flourishing, as opposed to "Umbral" calamities, but that has nothing to do with the actual elemental affinity of the Calamities, which we see in Shadowbringers can be associated with Light as well as Darkness. In Norvrandt, "Dark" represents the same thing as "Astral" energy, and the rest of Shadowbringers goes on to casually assume that Norvrandt had it right and that the Sharlayans had it wrong.

edit: Maybe better to bring this into the FFXIV thread in the MMO HMO, so that we don't turn the LP into a CIA document for a game that Elentor isn't even playing.