Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Oh hey, this is up. I enjoyed reading/lurking the original LP, so I'm glad to see how Elentor handles the remake.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Barret speeling his name with only one "t" really bugs me for some reason

I also want to know how his hand gun works
From watching some combat videos, I think it might work on a funky pump-action type of system. Barret seems to have one burst of bullets always ready, but when he runs low or wants to add more rounds (for some of his other attacks), he effectively pumps his arm like it were a shotgun to "reload" his gun arm. It's weird, but that's my best guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

geri_khan posted:

I think there's no way this isn't just Barret flexing like a huge loving showoff.
Oh trust me, this is early-game Barret. He has only two settings: loud and explosive. The fact that he hasn't configured his gatling gun arm to have a rocket punch function tells me that either he's holding back, or that he's too broke to afford the upgrade.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

I pronounce it Mack-o.
Mack-O Reactor sounds like the perfect cheesy 80s action movie hero.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Glad to hear everything is turning around for you, Elentor.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Elentor posted:

Thank you for your kind words. I haven't gotten back to playing it. Still more or less dealing with assorted stuff so I'm really just writing at this point.

With that said someone spoiled me that "I'm gonna have a surprise by the time I get to the end of the road image".
I'm sorry that someone decided to be a jerk and spoil you on the secret of Cloud's hair care techniques.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Marmaduke! posted:

Had to dig this old post out...

Everyone knows Barret's missed a T
I both love and hate this post.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'm so glad they remembered Cloud is a huge doofus as well as a sad boy and not just that second thing.
That might be the one thing I am greatful about the remake: a whole new generation gets to discover that Midgar is a city of dorks.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Just Andi Now posted:

Yeah, it happens to everyone on so many different bosses that they had to be doing it intentionally. I think if the player knows how to build stagger effectively, though, you actually can get the stagger to go off earlier to get to the threshold quicker. IIRC, the phase threshold is entirely HP-based, so they know effectively how much stagger suboptimal play will give you and make the threshold just low enough to reset it.

Honestly I wouldn't mind so much if the transition didn't just completely eat up the damage you were dealing with your limit breaks, though.
It's not just damage that gets eaten by the phase transitions that's frustrating, MP and/or ATB spent on an attack that starts right as a phase transition happens is also lost. So, you were trying to cast Cure on yourself? Too bad, your AI teammate just knocked the boss into the next phase and you just lost that MP without recovering any of your HP. It gets worse when you are fighting a boss that switches locations when starting a new phase, so hey, good luck avoiding the boss that is now right on top of you while at low health.

Capfalcon posted:

I'd say the one that still gets you the surprise of a new phase while reducing the sting of blowing limits is just to refund limit and ATB that are interrupted by a cutscenes.
That could work, but then you'd have to factor in stuff like animation wind-up; I could see a situation where the game hiccups and the refund triggers the attack a second time, but now your character is barrelling head first into an attack from the boss and whoops, your character is tanking the floor now.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

Plushiroth for final villain.

That'd just be phase one. Phase two is Nendoroid Sephiroth, phase 3 is Revoltech Sephiroth, and the final phase is Perfect Grade Sephiroth.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Does that mean we'd face 3-4 versions of Funko POP! Jenova?
3 Funko POPs and one Figma Jenova, actually.

Unfortunately, Hojo gets stuck using a bootleg version.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My only complaint with this sequence is that Jessie is moving quite well for someone who had a concrete slab crush their ankle. Unless healing materia is just that good at patching up things.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

In fiction, collapsing rubble will only ever fall in that incredibly narrow margin where someone is trapped and can't move, but never actually injured.
True. Unless it's a plot death/villain's demise, then it's fatal.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

In 1997 I was legit impressed with the Fort Condor tower defense thing, it's like a whole other game inside an already game!! I am actually interested how that will be interpreted in Episode Two when it comes out in 2025.

(Have we actually heard anything about future episodes or is Squenix still waiting to see how this one shakes out financially?)
I think that they're more taking their time listening to feedback and preparing for the future. The only major topics that'd need the most attention would be adapting Cait Sith and Red XIII's movesets to the combat system, as they are the only non-humanoid party members. Cid could take whatever staff animations Aerith uses and make them more offense oriented, Vincent could easily adapt Barret's gun animations to a pistol (or borrow Rufus' shotgun animations, for that matter), and I doubt that Yuffie's shuriken would be a hassle to deal with. After that, it'd be more building environments and cutscene animation than story telling. Plus, there's the whole PS5 hovering overhead that I imagine would take time for the team to learn the architecture and what the hardware can do. So yeah, part 2 is probably not going to take as long as this one, provided Square Enix doesn't have a moment where they tear everything down and rebuild from scratch again like what happened with this game.

That said, gently caress Fort Condor into the ground forever and ever, thank you very much.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

There's basically 0 chance they're just going to copy + paste anyone's animations. Cid is not going to move anything like Aerith, and Vincent's single-shot rifles/pistols are not going to animate anything like Barret's arm-mounted machine gun. This game is generally going for high-quality production value, and nothing says Lazy like having your main characters being literal palette-swaps of each other when it comes to animations.
Oh, trust me, I do not expect the staff to get "we only have one Morrigan sprite" levels of lazy. I was referring to what would and would not take up development time, and those two are the remaining party members that'd need the least amount of effort in comparison to the other three. I fully expect Cid to have all of the elements of a modernized dragoon and I am especially hoping that Vincent can finally wash away the sticky paste that is Dirge of Cerberus. Of course, my "never happening in a million years" pipe dream is Cid Highwind dramatically recreating the "Diversity of the word 'gently caress'" scene from Boondock Saints, so there's that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Elentor posted:

While I enjoyed the original's subtlety, this entire sequence just showing their visceral reaction stuck with me.

While I enjoyed the original's subtlety, this entire sequence just showing their visceral reaction stuck with me.
I'm assuming that's a typo on your part, and you didn't mean to put the same sentence twice.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

anakha posted:

The impact of the reactor explosion in the OG felt more abstract cos you just see a handful of people running around with minimal dialogue before you meet Aerith.

I literally went "Fuuuuck..." when I saw this scene in my first playthrough. It felt more real to me.
It is definitely a good change for the remake. The original kind of gives you a sense of what happened, but here we are shown the consequences of our actions. What is also a good choice is to not limit it to one way of conveying the upper plate destruction. The game could have used Barret's big speech earlier (with a small camera sweep of the area) to show it off or the walkthrough section to get the job done. Instead, we get both scenes and fully soak in the atmosphere of the area.

And at the end of the day, we're actually seeing more of the upper plate in some fashion. The original barely showed it off, if at all.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

I mean, Square did work on this for close to a decade, they announced it in 2015! I think a bunch of the work was in getting back to the tone of the original and moving away from the flanderization of the follow on media.
From what I've read, a good bunch of the time length was in fact due to Square tearing everything down and rebuilding it from scratch after about a year of work. It definitely explains why there was barely a word on how the game was progressing until 2019, there was literally nothing to show between 2017-2018.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am torn on the changes. On one hand, this scene with Sephiroth makes sense from the initial setup: Cloud is watching the burning buildings in the upper plate and is having a very clear PTSD-induced flashback to Niebelheim that Sephiroth decided to pop up in. So having this mind screw of a moment works because at the end of the day, if you wanted me to show you an example of how mental illnesses like PTSD affect people, this scene would be a good example to use. I wouldn't be surprised if Cloud actually bumped into a normal person who then just walked off while Cloud's own messed up mind processed the person as Sephiroth and let the trauma drag him into the alleyway. So yes, this little bit is a good change that hints at Cloud's future issues while still keeping it within the context of the reactor bombing aftermath.

The next part...ugh. Without spoilers, my thoughts on that subject is: I don't completely hate it and get the intention, but lord almighty did everything related to it need at least one more pass in editing to not be as divisive as it is.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Weeble posted:

An entire, full-length, game devoted to the Gold Saucer.
Not anything involving Corel Prison or the town itself; just the Saucer.

Dozens of new minigames; the only combat is the battle arena.

More in-depth chocobo racing.
Honestly, with how Wall Market turned out in this game, at that point I'd just have Square-Enix ask Sega if they could do a "Yakuza: Gold Saucer" collaboration.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Getting some real Raccoon City vibes from Midgar in this update
The hilarious part is that Hojo could easily walk up to any of the Resident Evil villains and be greeted with a firm handshake. And then both Hojo and said villains would try to backstab each other for about a month until whoopsie, new viral outbreak.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You get props for adapting "Thriller" to this section, Elentor. Not just the lyrics, but also for making it into a wonderful pun. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Fedule posted:

This game's soundtrack comes on seven loving CDs (and a bonus disk if you get the physical version) and it's all incredible. And there's so much. Just when you think there can't possibly be any more arrangements of Those Who Fight...
After all the development delays, I am not surprised that there's enough music in this game to fit into 7-8 discs. For as much as the writers/animators/programmers put into this game, the sound design team absolutely went all out as well and deserve their own set of praises.

anakha posted:

One entire disc of the OST is devoted to a single chapter of the game. That's insane.
Especially when stuff like this happens. :eyepop: