Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

4Kids has already conclusively settled this pronounciation question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uolplWjANiQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

"Cult leader" strikes me as a little strong, Barret may be leading them where he wants them to go but I don't really feel like he's manipulating them per se. He definitely fanatically believes enough in his cause to do violence on its behalf of course, and the game definitely doesn't shy away from pointing out the stress and risk being guerillas/terrorists inflicts on them even if it's pretty obvious that yes, Shinra is bad and needs to be stopped.

Nah, I think it's a pretty fair comparison. He uses the destruction to get them to commit to the mission, sets up the struggle in abstract terms that indicate that it's much more important than any amount of damage they may have caused, suggests that anything they might do is justified because it's in retaliation against Shinra who hurt the planet first, and sets himself up as the moral center and source of absolution. That's pretty textbook "bind people to the cause" 101.

Let's put it this way: if we hadn't seen Shinra blow up the reactor (and if I hadn't played the original), I'd be theorizing that Barrett gave Jesse plans for an overly powerful bomb specifically to create and then exploit this despair to further indocrinate her.

"There ain't no getting off this train we on."

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Doobeedoo posted:

35, apparently.

AKA a rotting skeleton in JRPG years.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yeah I don't think there's ever any more detail than: mako gets sucked up from the planet into a reactor -> the reactor does a thing with the mako -> electricity happens

Then the electricity travels through power lines and powers stuff like you'd expect as long as you pay your bill to the Shinra Electric Power Company

But if that's the case, then what's going on with the leaking pipe that Aeris is staring at in the intro? I mean, that is Mako leaking out of the pipe? But if the electricity is being generated in the reactor, then why is Mako getting pumped around the city?

My assumption was that it was kinda equivalent to natural gas. Yeah, you can burn it in a power plant to make electricity, but you'll also be pumping it into homes so it can be burned for heating or whatever, since that's more efficient than using the electricity directly.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

I know a great town on a plateau that you'd love...