Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Gideon Emery is also doing a great job hiding his accent as Biggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Elentor, I followed the Spirit Armor Sakura Wars LP. You've got a ways to go before you're causing an actual issue.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

I remember reading like, the first half of that LP, would you mind giving a summary of what happened?

Spirit Armor got into lawschool, so if you got an update a year, it was lucky.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I appreciate that Cloud, trying to look cool in front of Jessie will tell her that a Sweeper isn't dangerous if you destroy it before it can kill you, but, because Barret was cocky, to look cool in front of him, he goes "THESE THINGS ARE MASSIVELY DANGEROUS!" It's really easy to see how hard Cloud is trying to seem cool.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Cloud in the original is physically 21, but he's mentally around 16. Considering he spent 4 years in a tank and basically until like a moooooonth? before the start of the game? Was in a coma.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The demo didn't put a block on damage dealt when phase transitioning, so I assume it was a choice made later. That said the bosses are still supremely easy to kill, Yes, even that one you just thought of but it very much demands mastery of the system. Honestly if you're chugging phoenix downs and potions to get through a fight...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Elentor posted:

I humbly apologize for being bad at this game and for not attending the low expectations of not chugging phoenix downs and potions, but judging from my performance on Chapter 3 you will probably see dozens of videos of me performing like someone who's never played a video-game before.

So the exact opposite of the original LP.

Apologize for what? Everyone's learning a game for the first time, just because you're a master at OG FF7 isn't going to make you a master of Remake. For some people it doesn't click at all. For others it's like "Oh, I understand everything in the world at this moment." I didn't intend my comments to be an attack on anyone.

EDIT: I liken it to my first time experiencing a new JRPG in fact, usually, you mash the attack command and heal through all damage, probably including grinding levels. If anything, your struggle and potion/phoenix down chugging, means this is a truer remake to FF7 than it could ever have hoped to be.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

LiefKatano posted:

ATB commands definitely feel like they should have more super armor than they do.

Maybe I suck at the game and should be reading tells better than I am, but.

I'm not sure how to feel about phoenix downs restoring more HP, though. Like obviously it's an appealing idea but if they restore too much then you might as well not bother with Raise, since that costs an ATB bar and MP, rather than just an ATB bar. There's some games where items effectively expand your move set (you could even argue that FFVII does that itself, if you know what's good) but FF7R doesn't really fit that. It's really obvious that it wants magic to be really good and thus there's a price for using it.

It's column A and column B in regards to super armor. your defensive options in this game exist, but it's hard to get the right punish. It's very much a game that rewards hyper-aggression. And Limit Breaks, AT THE LEAST should auto-track and have Super Armor. There is no worse feeling then going into the clutch limit and then being killed out of it, or just having it whiff.

As an aside, Limit's aren't as rare as you'd might suspect. While they do grow from taking damage, they grow rapidly by triggering a stagger, but it really is a need to learn the combat system and every enemies tells and weaknesses, in that way, it's very much more like an action game. The fact limits don't carry over between battles can also feel bad.

For those who've finished the game and are looking to improve, I recommend these videos, there's a lot of interesting tidbits and minutia in the combat that just isn't immediately apparent. It should be clear that, as these cover the characters full movesets, that these videos have spoilers

Cloud Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvDm9qTKFSc

Tifa Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHeLt51NRts

Aerith Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OPTIu87Z-o

Barret Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCCq1rwd2aM&t=142s

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

I’ve only been able to watch others playing this, but I figured that the most annoying thing is bosses completely resetting their break gauge once you trigger a phase transition. Especially when it seems like some of them were tuned so that you’d likely meet that threshold just as you’ve almost filled the meter.

Here’s to hoping that they’re taking notes on these criticisms for future chapters of the remake.

It's not necessarily that the bosses are set to phase change so that you'll have filled the gauge when it happens... it's that the system rewards knowing how to build stagger fast and maximizing your damage through it. The short of it is

1. Learn what puts an enemy into pressured.
2. Use your Focused X abilities during pressured and NOT outside.
3. Pay attention to elemental weaknesses.

A quick, handy guide to elemental weaknesses, with very few variations

Beasts are weak to Ice.
Humans are weak to Fire.
Robots are weak to Thunder.

Every enemy will go into pressured when hit with enough damage in quick succession. So it's best to use Magic to set that up, then, once the enemy is pressured (which also knocks them out of attacks, typically) hammer on with Focused attacks, which, for example with Barret, his Focused Shot builds more stagger the more bars it consumes of ATB, and he can easily take the bar to 75% from 0 with two bars. A single focused thrust from Cloud should drive the enemy into stagger.

It's an action economy and efficiency. If by the time you hit the phase change, you've also hit the stagger, then you were probably using Focused attacks outside of pressure or didn't know how to get the enemy into pressured state.

That's why getting stuck in a heal loop is so awkward because you're not making progress. You also should block more when the enemy does get off attacks, blocking boosts ATB where dodging doesn't, even if you can avoid damage. Any time an enemy with a machine gun is firing, each of those hits is going to send your ATB skyrocketing with a block.

Another thing to realize is that Cloud's parry in Punisher mode can

1. Parry more than you think it can.
2. Can be triggered in the transition to punisher mode by hitting Triangle and getting hit during the white flash in Cloud's animation.
3. Does more counter damage when timing it correctly.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yeah, there are at least two moments in OG FF7 were it's implied that not only is the reactor bomb extremely strange, but that Shinra is already aware of and allowing it to happen for their own game (The entire reactor 5 mission, which has President Shinra mock their actions as a waste of fireworks, in the hideout, Jessie wonders what happened with the Bomb to begin with, as she followed the specifications.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I am an unabashedly big fan of the changes this game makes. But then again they confirmed a lot of the things I suspected leading up to the game's release, so it always feels good to be correct.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

MR. J posted:

I don't like it. It's going to take away from the reveal in the Shinra building, which is one of my favorite suspense moments in the original.

They directly make reference to what they did with Sephiroth in the remake vs original in an interview. And once someone's completed the game I think it's worthwhile to look at what Kitase said, because it's very interesting. I can easily say that this isn't a case of not understanding how the original worked.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

The part I really loved about the Sephiroth reveal in 7R was how as you follow him through the street, the rubble in Sector 8 starts to turn into Nibelheim, but it’s done in such a way that you don’t immediately notice it, but when you do it adds to the air of Cloud having a full-on explicit psychotic episode.

Also in regards to the game going “gently caress it, here’s Sephiroth,” Yoshinori Kitase was quoted in an interview as basically saying when they worked on the original FF7, they treated Sephiroth like he was the shark from JAWS. They built him up as a scary monster by letting you see the aftermath of what he did, or get fringe glimpses at him in order to nail the eventual reveal because he was such a mystery. Now, 20 years later, literally everyone and their mother knows who Sephiroth is in one way or another, so there was no way they could really pull off the mystery box again, so they leaned into it and just have him show up in the first hour of the game.

I did a discussion about this for one of my papers in my Masters course. The short of it was when you're doing a remake, do you aim to one-to-one recreate the literal or the emotional? I used RE2 Remake as another example, pointing out that, actually, despite the superficial similarities, the game is tremendously different from RE2 both in overall plot structure and events. But, it excellently captures the emotional beats that RE2 invoked over 20 years ago. I think FF7 very much tries to follow the same.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Vadoc posted:

Who the gently caress is still sober in this year?

I don't drink. Given my depression it's probably wise I don't give myself inhibited decision making.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Wait, so in the midst of all that did you grab the purple materia?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The one on the ground, right there. Like you said you got all the chests and stuff so I figured you did but you also did like... nothing to highlight "Hey, new kind of materia"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

A key note I like is Barret using the glasses as a way to protect himself when he's meant to be 'The Big Boss' because you can see from his eyes how soft he can be, how much weight he's carrying.

As for the assassination of President Shinra, that is likely in reference to a phone game called Before Crisis. Before Crisis was a mobile phone game where you made your own member of the Turks and the game kicks off with Avalanche attempting to kill President Shinra before being stopped by Sephiroth.

It's... weird. I don't know if it was any good but I heard it had a lot of "Running into all the famous people because what the gently caress else would you do?"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 10, 2020