Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The part I really loved about the Sephiroth reveal in 7R was how as you follow him through the street, the rubble in Sector 8 starts to turn into Nibelheim, but it’s done in such a way that you don’t immediately notice it, but when you do it adds to the air of Cloud having a full-on explicit psychotic episode.

Also in regards to the game going “gently caress it, here’s Sephiroth,” Yoshinori Kitase was quoted in an interview as basically saying when they worked on the original FF7, they treated Sephiroth like he was the shark from JAWS. They built him up as a scary monster by letting you see the aftermath of what he did, or get fringe glimpses at him in order to nail the eventual reveal because he was such a mystery. Now, 20 years later, literally everyone and their mother knows who Sephiroth is in one way or another, so there was no way they could really pull off the mystery box again, so they leaned into it and just have him show up in the first hour of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Without spoilers I'm very much in the camp that believes the writers knew exactly what they are doing with Sephiroth in Remake and there's a very good reason for that.

Yeah, Remake Sephiroth is an infinitely more compelling character than OG Sephiroth. I can't explain how and why without going into spoilers, but it's fantastic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

On what Sephiroth was saying to Cloud. I think the "Run away.. You have to live" was Sephiroth repeating Clouds mother's last words. Given how he just talked about how he murdered his mother.

He’s actually quoting Zack, or at least some variation of what Zack said to Cloud in the original game. That’s the reason Cloud gets so pissed at him and tries to kill him.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 19, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Elentor posted:

But what about

Ah I see you've decided to LP Dirge of Cerberus instead :v:

anakha posted:

So I mentioned previously about the BGM that plays right after that first confrontation between Sephiroth and Cloud. When I first heard it, I thought it sounded familiar, so I tried searching for the title of that track, which I only discovered once the full OST was out. To my surprise, it was actually a remix of this track from Advent Children.

The devs put that particular track at that point of this game for a reason (and there are no other AC tracks in this game AFAIK), and the prevailing theory I alluded to earlier springs from that.

Another reason why "The Promised Land" shows up in Remake is because Advent Children makes it the de facto Lifestream theme and Remake doubles down on that by very pointedly calling its version "The Promised Land - Cycle of Souls", so it very pointed has the theme show up after a fuckton of people have just died after Reactor 1 went kablooey, ie: returned to the Lifestream.

Also yes, it shows up in Advent Children over a montage of Marlene explaining to the audience about what huge rear end in a top hat Sephiroth was in the original Final Fantasy VII.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, Cloud was a trooper for a few years, so it makes sense that there'd be other Shinra guys who recognize him. Christ, just from the hairdo.

It's a nice touch.

I always figured the trooper guy was recognizing the Buster Sword from when Angeal and Zack wielded it more than anything about Cloud specifically, and Cloud’s brain problems kicked in right before the dude could go “the gently caress are you doing with Zack’s sword?”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Echoing all the comments about the soundtrack, it's absolutely amazing.

Also, Riot Troopers get completely clowned by Fire magic.

Yeah, the Huntsman was the first moment of difficulty for me in the game and I actually had to use Ifrit on him, which you get right at the start of the game if you bought the limited edition instead of later on normally. Saved my rear end but it was incredibly embarrassing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zeikier posted:

I remeber getting pumped to hear the battle theme kick in for real by the end of the sequence, and after picking the controller back up after being distracted for an hour it didn't disappoint!

I've never really been keen on the FF7 general battle theme so it popping up in Remake finally was just "Okay..." Now the boss theme on the other hand... :haw::hf::getin:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

They put a fuckton of work into making Midgar feel like a real plausible place that could exist this time around and I love it. If they put in the time to make a walking sim that was just all of Midgar in its entirety where you could go anywhere in the city you wanted to, I would play the poo poo out of it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fedule posted:

This game's soundtrack comes on seven loving CDs (and a bonus disk if you get the physical version) and it's all incredible. And there's so much. Just when you think there can't possibly be any more arrangements of Those Who Fight...

Seven discs and there's still a bunch of music left off the official soundtrack that's probably waiting for an Unreleased Tracks or PLUS soundtrack release later on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

After all the development delays, I am not surprised that there's enough music in this game to fit into 7-8 discs. For as much as the writers/animators/programmers put into this game, the sound design team absolutely went all out as well and deserve their own set of praises.

Especially when stuff like this happens. :eyepop:

Hell, Square brought in frickin Keiki Kobayashi, the lead composer for Ace Combat to do a boss track for Remake. And you can just tell which one it was just by listening to it, too. They went wonderfully extra on this one and I can't wait to see how the follow up with the remaining parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Elentor posted:

And of course, the adventures of Stump!

One other thing to point out: I love (and by that I actually mean kind of hate) that Shrina in this version is so deviously smart that they have their own children's propaganda mascot and marketing apparatus to sell their bullshit to kids and certain adults though the guise of a seemingly harmless, adorable little beagle. It's just the perfect amount of gross for Shinra :discourse:

No wonder Barret loving HATES Stamp.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 31, 2020