Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Elentor is cool and good, and FF7 Remake and FF7 classic are cool and good, and I think y'all should search out the patreon and support it like I just did.

Hope things go well for you, Elentor, and I hope this LP adds as much enjoyment to FF7R for me as your original LP did for FF7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TheParadigm posted:

Thanks for your response! I'm glad to hear we have a mod team with a heart, and I hope you all can find a middle ground between allowed to link/isn't allowed to shove it down everyone's throats constantly in a way that makes everyone happy.

I think it's fair to let mods use their discretion based on community input. Any hard and fast rule is going to be rules-lawyered by exactly the sort of person who we don't want to have the ability to fundraise here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

KeiraWalker posted:

Elentor's first run of that boss fight looked much like my own, and many others I would imagine. I think she's on to something about it being designed that way... I am much, much farther into the game and I can't think of many other fights that push you toward the brink that hard.

I feel like that fight specifically was really beautifully done from a game design perspective because it forces you to learn about the mechanics you need to know, without being overwhelmingly difficult. Taking away the characters and environment that we all love, it's interesting to look at some of the choices they made. I won't spoil anything but I feel like there are awesome, difficult fights that feel really rewarding once you figure them out, and other ones which are just horrific slogs whether you understand the weaknesses and mechanics you should use or not. The "hardest" fights have been some of my favourites and there are others which might not be as hard, but they fully suck.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Weeble posted:

One word. Just one word.

Hellhouse

Burned so many phoenix downs on that fight.

This goes into the categories of "fights which can eat my whole entire rear end." I've replayed it a few times to get trophies, and compared to other difficult fights, it's just no fun. It sucks, whether you understand what you need to do or not. It's not even particularly fun to play with overleveled characters and maxed out equipment. I think the developers were trying to punish us for demanding that fanservice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Elentor posted:

I humbly apologize for being bad at this game and for not attending the low expectations of not chugging phoenix downs and potions, but judging from my performance on Chapter 3 you will probably see dozens of videos of me performing like someone who's never played a video-game before.

So the exact opposite of the original LP.

It's to be expected. I watched a stream of a former FF7 speed run world record holder playing Remake, and he was basically just as poo poo at the game as I was! I've also been watching Briana White's stream (the voice actress for Aerith) and, yep, just some garbage strategy all around, because of course you're going to be worse at a game you've never played than even an average gamer who's already played it.

That's part of what we're all looking forward to in this LP, I think. I could watch someone who is very good at this game and has already played it a few times break it (and indeed there's tons of those on Youtube already), but what I want to watch is someone who had a great understanding of the original compare and contrast Remake to it.

One stream I was watching was complaining about people "being bad at games" and using Elixirs too freely, and he ended the game with like 10 loving elixirs or something stupid because he never used any of them. Who's the bigger idiot then?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

In 1997 I was legit impressed with the Fort Condor tower defense thing, it's like a whole other game inside an already game!! I am actually interested how that will be interpreted in Episode Two when it comes out in 2025.

(Have we actually heard anything about future episodes or is Squenix still waiting to see how this one shakes out financially?)

The Fort Condor game was the worst of all minigames, both within FF7 and also in anything, ever.

Just awful. There may have been a certain bastard loving frustrating minigame in Remake which caused me to curse at my television, but at least the "required" part was over very fast and the soundtrack was bangin'.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ilmucche posted:

I'm also excited for the eventual marching minigame.

Amazing avatar/post combo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Re-made Wall Market is pretty much the high point of gaming, and indeed of all human culture and art.

Well, at least gaming... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

I got to say I kind of love the idea of SE messing with fan's memory of FFVII, a game that is about people having their memory messed with.

I have maintained from the beginning that if the point of Remake is to re-create not the exact game the FF7 was, but the experience that it felt like, there was no way to do it without specifically loving with the player's head and making them confused. That confusion and unease represents an integral part of what made FF7 what it was, and you could not replicate that if you just made a pretty version of the original game. It would rely on nostalgia at that point, instead of giving you a second opportunity to experience that feeling, and I appreciate that they did it how they did rather than taking the easy way out.