Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Dragon Gate 6-Man

I'm not the biggest Dragon Gate fan so it took me a little while to get into this. The first half, where they're working a very conventional match, didn't do much for me. The second half is the DG craziness that I can appreciate. Skinny(ish) Shingo is something that I had completely erased from my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Thanks. For some reason I couldn't find it. This was amazing.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

The Dragon Gate six man was extremely my poo poo, particularly since I'm a Taka mark. This is not my platonic ideal of the Taka match, I like it when he's a plucky underdog, but lots of fun to go around. Great build to the pin. Taka abusing Shingo was amusing. CIMA is always, always the best -- perfect heel energy always.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Match of the Day

Genichiro Tenryu & Stan Hansen vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Kenta Kobashi, All Japan, July 15, 1989
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bdkkdjb5w77b9kc

Background: Tenryu and Hansen are a short-lived and (on paper) unstoppable tandem. Kobashi is a WEE BAIRN~ and gets his first ever Korakuen Hall main event.

Why you should watch it: There's something good from each pairing, but more importantly we can see how incredible Kobashi is for someone who debuted the year before. He does everything right and takes his lumps like a man, really getting the crowd behind him. This match is not an epic for the ages, but it's super-solid and enjoyable. I wish we got more Tenryu vs Kobashi content before both were over the hill; alas.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Hansen & Tenryu vs. Jumbo & Kobashi

This match is extremely badass. Everybody brings it but it's very young Kobashi whose name the crowd is chanting when the match ends.

If you've been picking and choosing the matches in this thread for whatever reason, don't skip this one!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Match of the Day

Kiyoshi Tamura vs Hiroyuki Ito, U-Style, August 18 2004
http://theditch.us/TamuravsHiroyukiIto.avi

Background: U-Style is essentially Tamura Pro, a new shoot-style promotion meant to carry the torch of UWFi and RINGS. Several young shoot-style wrestlers were part of it, including Ito, who is in for the fight of his life. Also, Ito shares a name with a famous video game producer, which makes him difficult to search for.

Why you should watch it: As with much of the RINGS crew, Tamura was a pretty drat solid performer if you look at his career match-for-match. This is a great example of him switching things up. Rather than an assortment of nifty submissions and a few stiff strikes, which was standard for RINGS, here he does his best to show vulnerability and make massive underdog Ito look like a world-beater. They build to a really tense closing run, and by the end it feels like a war despite it not lasting much over 10 minutes.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Tamura vs. Ito

Tamura continues to be really impressive. You're right that this match (and the previous UWFi match) are meaty without being very long. The story of the rookie coming sooooo close but not being able to put it away is great.

I can understand why this style died out, but it's an interesting glimpse at an alternate form of pro wrestling.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
it died because of the MMA boom with Pride and K-1

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Ditch posted:

Match of the Day

Genichiro Tenryu & Stan Hansen vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Kenta Kobashi, All Japan, July 15, 1989
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bdkkdjb5w77b9kc

Background: Tenryu and Hansen are a short-lived and (on paper) unstoppable tandem. Kobashi is a WEE BAIRN~ and gets his first ever Korakuen Hall main event.

Why you should watch it: There's something good from each pairing, but more importantly we can see how incredible Kobashi is for someone who debuted the year before. He does everything right and takes his lumps like a man, really getting the crowd behind him. This match is not an epic for the ages, but it's super-solid and enjoyable. I wish we got more Tenryu vs Kobashi content before both were over the hill; alas.
Just going to point to this match again because more people should check it out!

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I'm glad this thread exists and I stumbled into it because man...

It freakin' delivers

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Match of the Day

Terry Gordy & Steve Williams vs Stan Hansen & Joel Deaton, All Japan, June 3 1993.
http://theditch.biz/MVCvsHansenDeaton6-3-93.avi

Background: Gordy and Williams spent three years as the very successful Miracle Violence Connection, winning the All Japan tag titles five times and the tag league twice. During this period there were four main groups in the company: Jumbo Tsuruta's (which became Kawada's when Jumbo stepped back), Misawa's, Gordy & Williams (along with random American midcarders), and Hansen & Danny Spivey. Hansen did better in singles, while Gordy and Williams were better as a unit. Hansen beat Gordy in a singles match two days prior.

Why you should watch it: On paper this match should be straight simple: they do some routine back-and-forth, Gordy or Williams clobbers Deaton with a finisher, the other one stops Hansen from making a save, everyone collects a paycheck. But not tonight! Gordy and Williams attack before the bell, and the entire match sees the mighty Stan Hansen on the ropes. The crowd at Korakuen Hall is its usual responsive self, and the match ends in dramatic fashion. It's telling that a good, compact match like this got 100% lost in the shuffle due to the surplus of crazy good matches the promotion had that year.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch I've been havin trouble downloading from your site lately and I'm wondering if it's because I had downloaded a little too much at one point. Download nearly finishes then it just says at 99.9% for a while, and then stops.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ditch posted:

Match of the Day

Terry Gordy & Steve Williams vs Stan Hansen & Joel Deaton, All Japan, June 3 1993.

This was an absolute blast and incredibly easy to watch. They just never loving let up from start to finish... and beyond the finish!

Definitely worth watching, I haven't watched as many of these as I'd have liked but this was a great 10 minute sprint and the crowd absolutely losing their loving mind the entire way through was just a joy.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

HulkaMatt posted:

Ditch I've been havin trouble downloading from your site lately and I'm wondering if it's because I had downloaded a little too much at one point. Download nearly finishes then it just says at 99.9% for a while, and then stops.
I have no idea other than there are no IP based bandwidth caps.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

Try a download manager?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Spivey breaking out of the corner was amazing! The pace of this match was really something, that’s a lot of brutality packed into ten minutes. Bonus points for nearly killing the ring boy who just wanted to get the streamers out of the ring.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Match of the Day

Sekimoto & Okabayashi vs Hama & Soya, Big Japan, April 28, 2011
http://www.mediafire.com/?val4gzlm33wrdsw

Background: Sekimoto and Okabayashi have taken the All Asia tag titles from All Japan! All Japan send a team to Big Japan to get them back, and send a more dangerous team than the previous champs, swapping former Triple Crown champion Hama in place of then-youngster Sanada. Sekimoto and Okabayashi normally rely on power moves to win, and Hama is THE HARDEST POSSIBLE COUNTER TO THIS.

Why you should watch it: The Korakuen crowd is red-hot, with the Big Japan fans backing their team to the hilt. Hama delivers easily the performance of his career, working the "immovable object" gimmick to perfection and also bringing the right about of disdain as an interpromotional invader. Simple, straightforward, and effective match that feels like a big deal.

Ditch fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 30, 2020

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
MVC vs. Hansen/Deaton
What a weird match. I don't think I've ever seen Hansen in a match like this. He takes the type of asskicking I'm used to seeing him dish out. Deaton is totally in over his head here, which fits what they're going for in the match.

This also has one of my personal favorite All Japan tropes - the brawl through the streamers.

I don't think I would have ever thought to watch this if not for this thread.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Ditch posted:

Match of the Day

http://www.mediafire.com/?val4gzlm33wrdsw

Background: Sekimoto and Okabayashi have taken the All Asia tag titles from All Japan! All Japan send a team to Big Japan to get them back, and send a more dangerous team than the previous champs, swapping former Triple Crown champion Hama in place of then-youngster Sanada. Sekimoto and Okabayashi normally rely on power moves to win, and Hama is THE HARDEST POSSIBLE COUNTER TO THIS.

Why you should watch it: The Koreakuen crowd is red-hot, with the Big Japan fans backing their team to the hilt. Hama delivers easily the performance of his career, working the "immovable object" gimmick to perfection and also bringing the right about of disdain as an interpromotional invader. Simple, straightforward, and effective match that feels like a big deal.

The Sekimoto & Okabayashi vs All Japan tag teams of ES and SMOP were my introductions to not only Okabayashi, but Sanada as well. the tag matches against SMOP and the matches against ES are good as well. SMOP because you got Sekimoto & Okabayashi doing power moves to Akebono and Hama. The tag matches against ES are good because Soya and Sanada were great firey wrestlers when younger

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Sekimoto & Okabayashi vs. Hama & Soya
This rocked. Hama works so great as a bully who is just physically bigger (but not necessarily stronger or tougher) than his opponents. He's straight out of a high school movie and I love it. The crowd is hot throughout and the match plays off of them well. Nobody really does THAT much here. It's pretty simple and very old school. That's more than enough to keep the crowd hot the whole way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ditch posted:

Match of the Day

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Match of the Day

Dynamite Kansai & Mayumi Ozaki vs Yumiko Hotta & Takako Inoue, JWP, January 15, 1993
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ckk9eqgopu44llq

Background: JWP started in 1992 as an off-shoot of the forgotten JWPW, and had quite a bit of overlap with AJW in terms of style. The companies started doing interpromotional matches in late 1992, and the result was GOLD, because both companies had great talent and the crowds were super heated. I think 1992-1993 in Japan was the peak of women's wrestling in terms of match quality, and I enjoy the interpromotional matches a lot because there's a good balance between intensity/story and athletic spots/bombs. The teams are mirrors, each with a stiff-kicking monster (Kansai and Hotta) and a smaller, more athletic, but still tough companion (Ozaki and Inoue).

Why you should watch it: This has everything you want from a Japanese wrestling match: stiffness, technique, a hot finish, and of course, it takes place at Korakuen Hall. *chef's kiss*

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ditch posted:

Match of the Day

Dynamite Kansai & Mayumi Ozaki vs Yumiko Hotta & Takako Inoue, JWP, January 15, 1993

This rules, the crowd going absolutely nuts raises everything to a new level. Also they lose their goddamn minds any time Dynamite Kansai (that's her in the green/blue costume, right?) does ANYTHING. Also is there anything better in life than the crowd erupting to see a handshake?

Oh my God this is the best :)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 23, 2020

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Funaki and Nakano was a hell of a match. I look forward to watching the rest of them.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Kansai & Ozaki vs. Hotta & Inoue

This was heated as hell. The Kansai and Hotta exchanges were especially brutal. I've seen that inverted powerbomb spot look good twice in my life and they both happen in this match.

Really appreciate how diverse and off-the-beaten-path this thread has been.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'm definitely a "deep cuts" guy. But it's crazy how many things that are puro deep cuts actually own hard and are totally accessible. Such as:

Match of the Day

Vader vs Keiji Mutoh, New Japan August 10, 1991
http://theditch.us/VaderVsMutoh8-10-91.avi

Background: Part of the first ever G-1 Climax. Winner of this takes the block and moves on to the finals. At this point Vader is a three time IWGP champion, while Mutoh was still an emerging star.

Why you should watch it: This is an extremely watchable handheld. Imagine this match, at freaking SUMO HALL, not being taped! But it wasn't, which is an absolute shame; I guarantee it would have been historically famous in and out of Japan. This is both of them at their absolute best: Vader as a monster, Mutoh at his athletic peak. Perfect length that allows them to build to a big match feel without dragging; hot crowd; several extremely credible nearfalls. If you like either of them at all you'll love this.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Not watched it yet (was going to last Saturday but the Hana Kimura stuff really put me off doing anything then) but one crazy thing about that Kansai/Ozaki vs Hotta/Inoue match: everyone in it has been active to some degree in the last five years. Dynamite Kansai was wrestling regularly until retiring in 2016, Mayumi Ozaki is still full time (owns OZ Academy and works all of their show and pops up outside a few times a year as well) and while she relies on weapons and interference a lot when she needs to go she can still go and she's great; Yumiko Hotta is the head trainer at Actwres GirlZ and still wrestles there regularly as like the big boss figure who never really loses so its big when someone beats her; and Takako Inoue is still semi-regular and will randomly show up at shows. Remarkable that in a bit of wrestling that has a reputation for people retiring young that you have a fair few combinations like that with people still active and in some cases still wrestling at a high level almost 30 years later.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Vader vs. Mutoh
Absolutely agree with Ditch's thought that this would be a super famous match if it had been taped. This ruled. The crowd is so ready for Mutoh to break out as a major star. This match has everything that I love about Vader - he showcases his athleticism, his brutality, and, most importantly, his selling. Vader does so well showing vulnerability without ever looking weak. Because of that it makes Mutoh look incredible.

And oh man that ending. Even on the fancam you can feel the emotion in the arena.

If you have twenty minutes, don't skip this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

I'm definitely a "deep cuts" guy. But it's crazy how many things that are puro deep cuts actually own hard and are totally accessible. Such as:

Match of the Day

Vader vs Keiji Mutoh, New Japan August 10, 1991
http://theditch.us/VaderVsMutoh8-10-91.avi

Background: Part of the first ever G-1 Climax. Winner of this takes the block and moves on to the finals. At this point Vader is a three time IWGP champion, while Mutoh was still an emerging star.

Why you should watch it: This is an extremely watchable handheld. Imagine this match, at freaking SUMO HALL, not being taped! But it wasn't, which is an absolute shame; I guarantee it would have been historically famous in and out of Japan. This is both of them at their absolute best: Vader as a monster, Mutoh at his athletic peak. Perfect length that allows them to build to a big match feel without dragging; hot crowd; several extremely credible nearfalls. If you like either of them at all you'll love this.

I believe Brian Pillman said it was the best match he'd ever seen.