Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

:yeah: you showed that goku who's space boss!

e: please go back a page and watch the update instead of reading this awful snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So if you cross paths with that alien ship while flying do you just immediately go into a base defense?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Man, being immune to explosions suddenly seems a lot less important than being immune to chryssalid venom.

Fuckin' space gokus. Go back to my I ❤️ Grenadiers post and replace all my references to "planeswalkers" with these guys. They (and, to a slightly lesser extent, Chosen) are what I build my endgame rosters around effectively killing. As Fair demonstrated, they can be handled if you can put them down fast. So, make sure you do that, because they can be a huge pain in the rear end if they start taking turns. One of the reasons I like guaranteed damage powers is digging them out of high cover.

Kibayasu posted:

So if you cross paths with that alien ship while flying do you just immediately go into a base defense?
No. It's weird how the UFO works, and I'll let Fair decide if he wants to describe it before it runs its course.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
This mission is hilarious on difficulties lower than legend: a ranger with the assassin's sword, bladestorm, and blademaster is immune to chryssalids and can just walk through the level hoovering up all the hidden chryssalids.

I'm surprised Fair didn't use the robots more for scouting: they are immune to poison as well and four pips or armor make a real difference with the chryssalids damage.

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009
This mission reminds me of why I like XCOM2 lets plays (I normally don't watch games that I've played).

It's getting to see how different players approach the game. I'm much more defensive than FairGame and I end up playing leap frog on this map (set a half my team on overwatch and then have someone run out to flush out the chrysalids).

Also, it's interesting to see the different maps that people end up with. For some reason I tend to get more open maps for this mission where I can drop a sniper on the cliff near the start and have them able to shoot anything on the map.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
My take on the reason the resistance doesn't tip you off to some of the wilderness objectives is that Advent has killed or forcibly relocated to city centers every baseline human for miles in any direction, creating the world's most militarized chryssalid preserve. No one really wants to bother it too much.

Also, it will never get old seeing roving patrols plainly observe one of their allies engaged in a desperate gunfight and then casually walk the other direction, because that's not their problem.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Oh boy these missions can be cruel as gently caress late-game

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As annoying as they are, they're pretty fun to watch. Wonder if "The Hill" makes a return.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
*gets out of therapy* "what's been going on?" "We're winning the war!" "WHAT YEAR IS IT?"
I'm finally back. Maybe I'll even get another promotion due to the sheer amount of stuff that will have to die.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

I think that mystery fire was because Din's whiffed overwatch shot (avec Dragon Rounds) coincidentally hit some terrain.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SugarAddict posted:

*gets out of therapy* "what's been going on?" "We're winning the war!" "WHAT YEAR IS IT?"
I'm finally back. Maybe I'll even get another promotion due to the sheer amount of stuff that will have to die.

A couple videos ago when we had Megane and Din on the field together I was trying to remember how you died.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, you wrecked everything they threw at you in the assassination mission. Can units be pulled out of training for the base defense, though? Cause I like to imagine that Megane and I are doing our level 3 best buds training with the holodeck set up as a beach, sipping cocktails, oblivious to all the poo poo going down.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

EPISODE 1-60: THIS WAS YOUR GREAT CHAMPION?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lmao imagine getting made whole with a chosen still up

also after my three missions i'm gonna sleep for two weeks thanks

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Those turrets did *alot* of work. And I get set on fire.

With the way my character speaks and his skin condition I'd imagine that he's some hardcore otaku who's house caught fire and the reapers (who are hardcore ninja otaku) were recruiting in the area and he just thought "I have found my people!".

If I had any skills with photoshop or paint I would draw a bunch of otaku/ninja gear on my character while listening to go ninja go ninja go. As for reaper HQ, I would imagine it to be like the hogagi mountain place with Bradford as one of the guys on it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Finally caught up enough to see the Warlock go down. Eat purple, loser.

Also, it never gets old watching Vaughn julienne dudes while wearing a snake hat and stylish scarf.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

Those turrets did *alot* of work. And I get set on fire.

There was a lot of work to be done!

So beyond getting the dark event is getting this base defense a couple dice rolls? That is there's a chance the UFO will try to intercept you and there's a chance that the evasive actions will work? Unless those were just for flavour.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kibayasu posted:

There was a lot of work to be done!

So beyond getting the dark event is getting this base defense a couple dice rolls? That is there's a chance the UFO will try to intercept you and there's a chance that the evasive actions will work? Unless those were just for flavour.

I'm actually not sure how the UFO works. Whoever in the thread was like "FairGame will explain this if he wants to" was wrong because I have no clue.

I've definitely had the UFO hunt me and NOT make contact. If I had to guess, it's just a random chance once the dark event is active whether or not you get a base defense. The evasive actions are just flavor.

e: ah

xcom wiki posted:

Hunt XCOM: A UFO hunts the Avenger. (A UFO, represented by a red disk, will appear on the geoscape. It will travel across the globe hunting the Avenger, lingering around different regions periodically. When the UFO makes contact with the Avenger, evasive manoeuvres must be undertaken. These manoeuvres have a 50% chance of success, and a 50% chance of failure, resulting in an Avenger Defense mission. The UFO will persist until either a month has passed or an Avenger Defense mission has been initiated. Note that UFOs spawned by story missions cannot be successfully evaded and will only disappear after an Avenger Defense mission, but are otherwise identical to their Dark Event counterparts.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I really like the track that plays during these missions. Max power turrets are pretty great too.

Yeah, the UFO's position on the geoscape seems totally disconnected from the interception. I've had it zoom directly past the Avenger and completely ignore it. It seems to pick a date/time in the future, and when it hits, it flies directly to wherever the Avenger is and does the coin flip on whether or not you get a base defense.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 1, 2020

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

FairGame posted:

I'm actually not sure how the UFO works. Whoever in the thread was like "FairGame will explain this if he wants to" was wrong because I have no clue.

I've definitely had the UFO hunt me and NOT make contact. If I had to guess, it's just a random chance once the dark event is active whether or not you get a base defense. The evasive actions are just flavor.

e: ah

The game picks one of the plot missions and the ufo will spawn when you complete it. The internet says that the avenger defense mission is guaranteed to happen in this case but that doesn't agree with my memory.

If it is a dark event there is a 50% of triggering the mission. Otherwise the UFO just flies around until the dark event expires.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Well done commander.

I wonder, how long do you think you could have held out? You were removing units faster than they could be spawned in. And you were only going to get more guns on the field as time went on. If the bodies didn't despawn I imagine it would look like the Somme after a couple of turns.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

cambrian obelus posted:

Well done commander.

I wonder, how long do you think you could have held out? You were removing units faster than they could be spawned in. And you were only going to get more guns on the field as time went on. If the bodies didn't despawn I imagine it would look like the Somme after a couple of turns.

Forever, probably. But it would have crashed the PS4, same as the Lost missions. I wanted this over as soon as possible.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

B O N E G O D.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

SugarAddict posted:

B O N E G O D.

Attack and Bone God

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

BONE GOD IS READY

I wonder if I'm going to get lucky and manage to make captain before the LP ends

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nice face save by that Specter with the cool pose after getting blasted off the roof.

Seems like its been a while since we've seen Lost, even not counting the break.

So how much damage would a consecutive nova do to a spark? You've mentioned a few times that you almost always prefer something that doesn't require getting shot at to work and Sacrifice seems like it would fall under that. I guess nova probably doesn't do that much damage either?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ok I've screwed around enough in Yakuza 7 (which is awesome, btw) and I should come back to this and finish. Update tomorrow!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Excellent!

The weapon
I must have it
THE WEAPON

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I was going to say that I thought it was a little unfair that heavies didn't get an assassin weapon but then I remembered that they get the blaster launcher and I'm like "oh right"

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

I was going to say that I thought it was a little unfair that heavies didn't get an assassin weapon but then I remembered that they get the blaster launcher and I'm like "oh right"

To be fair, anybody can use that. It's just heavies that usually get equipped with the powered suits because they have the extra grenade slot.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Having a bit of technical difficulties (the first of which will just be a slightly delayed video that will nonetheless likely be up tonight), the second of which is...me missing a plot mission in its entirety.

Bear with me.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Was it supposed to end early? the video ended as soon as the gatekeeper died.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

Was it supposed to end early? the video ended as soon as the gatekeeper died.

The caption was also only there when the video ended but the game crashed at that point. Mission will continue next video.

On that note I have not missed Lost missions.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

OK, so, here's the deal: I thought I turned "record" on for the next episode, which would cover the last turn of this current mission (we got all the crates; all that was left was just cleaning up various Lost) and then the plot mission where you go to the ADVENT Forge.

But I...just never did, apparently. That episode is missing, and I don't have a savegame for it. It went swimmingly, as you might imagine--one of the Chosen is guaranteed to spawn on that mission in order to make it more challenging, but all of the Chosen are dead, so...

I guess I'll just find a video of the cutscene stuff from that mission and link to it in the next update as a preamble to the next mission I have a video for, which is not story-related.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

OK, so here's the deal:

As you saw in 1-62, that Lost mission crashed on the turn where I killed the Gatekeeper. I reloaded, beat the mission (there was nothing but Lost after the Gatekeeper went down; very easy.) and got all the crates. No achievement for it, though; too bad.

Anyway, then I did the ADVENT Forge mission and I guess I forgot to record other than when I thought I was approaching 1 hour, so I went to stop the video and restart a new one. I only ended up with the new one. So, uh...sorry about that. Anyway, as you can see from this screen, it went swimmingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhp2TKNOWY

ADVENT Forge Cinematics: Click here, but then stop watching as soon as you get to the video with the Codex autopsy (we've seen that already).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ml3O3AyL8&t=1988s

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

XCom 2 treating us to its customary stability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Bone Slap