Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Start with a Skirmisher.

And signing up!

Name: Cythereal
Appearance: Blonde, professional military look in blue or green.
Class: Grenadier

WE'RE BACK BABY

Name: Grapplejack
Appearance: grey hair, asian, same as last game. Give me the exalt bandanna tho, I love that thing. tiger camo on my armor, keep it olive like in the last game. maybe some nice arm tats to go with my new gun.
Class: Grenadier

e: this entire xpac is basically swarming with star trek alum, frakes and john de lancie are in here as well as denise crosby.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I see fairgame has carried his absurd luck over from longwar

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

you weren't kidding about the ps4 not being able to handle lost swarms, holy poo poo lmao

FPS: 2

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Wow, that was a bummer.

the assassin is an rear end in a top hat, especially early game. I think out of all of the chosen the assassin is the one that stays the most dangerous through the entire game, mostly because of her absurd movement range.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm glad I get to keep in character by being extremely slow to show up as a soldier

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Akratic Method posted:

Hey, the game has smiled upon my character and dumped him into the roster. I'm digging the dreads, thanks. But do re-equip me with the Resistance Kevlar if you get a chance! I want to get shot wearing a dumpy sweatshirt, not some ballistic vest.

Yep, and the leader of the third faction is also from Star Trek (Tasha Yar, whose real name I forget). Former TNG actors seem to travel in packs; see also: Gargoyles.

Your dude looks like takeshi69 lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ONE point off that +20 lmao

also I never use the sword on rangers, ever. 90% fuckin sucks. seeing you go for it was wild considering how averse you are normally to risky plays like that

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 16, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I think the mental maluses are good tbh, since they do what long war wanted to do with the forced medbay after being tired. You can still use the units but it's a risk and the penalty for mistakes while taking that risk are escalated.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Skirmishers are incredibly good but you have to be willing to use them. They're troops for players who play extremely aggressively, because they can yeet themselves and enemies around the map easily, not to mention their abilities that let them gently caress with turn orders.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm not one to pooh-pooh you but you really misused achmed here, this could have gone way worse.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

reapers look really weird without the face mask imo but I think I just really like the aesthetic they're going for

e: if Vahlen was still here we'd get an ability that let us scanners-explode advent officers in the field :colbert: Tygan has no taste for war crimes!

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 19, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Poison lasts 3-5 turns FYI, so

kw0134 posted:

The missed shots were rubbish though. That was like a combined 10% chance of all those shots missing.

:xcom:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FairGame posted:

I mean...I said in my post that it's not cheating. It's my personal viewpoint. Not an uncommon sentiment, mind you, though I'm definitely in the minority and I don't begrudge someone else using them. They're just not for me.

THERE ARE DOZENS OF US! DOZENS!

It's a lot better since they nerfed the everloving gently caress out of them. They don't get cover and aliens have a 100% chance to hit them, so they'll burn through the 12 HP pretty quickly. Mimic beacons are basically your 'oh poo poo' button, one per mission

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The worst one is probably surgical, which i'm sure we'll see and pass over during the campaign.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

Ohhh OK, I was thinking that there might be some bullshit like covert ops appearing this early with a risk of soldiers outright dying.

No explosion on the purifier dying? Is that a random chance too, or are there ways to trigger/avoid it?

It's a flat 50/50 chance iirc, 100% with explosives.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Feel free to use mimic grenades or frost bombs for the rulers, they were basically designed around the overpowered poo poo that came in the pack with them

they're loving awful lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I think all of the heavy weapons are pretty good tbh. Even the weakest one has its uses.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I spotted me on the rookie list, yay

I do find it kind of funny that the timer stops, like I get it mechanically but I assume lore-wise she basically hijacks literally everything and tells advent to gently caress off while she's in town. basically it's like when the president shows up only instead of you having to put down hundreds of extra cops you're banned from having any on the streets at all

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zernach posted:

Your sharpshooters really are determined to piss you off in this campaign by channeling maximum :xcom:

Poor Achmeds biggest contribution was blowing up a point of armor from the Assassin and hitting a single 4 dmg pistol crit on it.

Sharpshooters are your carry class basically, just wait until we get to captain and our snipers get SUPER OVERWATCH

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Genuinely I cannot get over how often you use swords, that poo poo is madness to me. madness

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Chuu posted:

Are we behind on weapons research? It felt like everyone had a toy gun in that last mission.

We are not. This is roughly where you'd be in a normal campaign anyway, it's just that legend aliens have way more HP.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I got one of these in a late-game mission where the aliens blew up the device in three turns lol. I loving hate device protection, it's awful.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Huh. On PC, you can cancel and re-order proving grounds projects at will.

I never bother with experimental grenades because IIRC, they all give up exploding cover in favor of adding maluses. I mostly use my grenadiers to remove cover, shred armor, and proc holo-targeting, so I actually do Muton autopsy as soon as I can fit it in.

The maluses are pretty goddamned good, especially if you can tag more than one person with them. Poison is -30 aim and -6 movement iirc, and burning, as you've already seen, basically forces enemies to shoot or hunker since all of their other poo poo is turned off.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's really not that big of a deal, you have a lot of opportunities to reduce the timer. I'm kind of surprised he didn't go for the blacksite mission but doing it with only 5 people is... not great lol, especially with a ruler hanging out there.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

100% the correct decision

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Munin posted:

That turret shot was pretty bullshit...

that happens, turrets can get an extra square or two of vision because of their height advantage

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

kw0134 posted:

An enemy unit that can stealth, incapacitate a unit in a single turn AND create a hostile duplicate in its place? That's patently unfair.

I loving hate Spectres. They're stupid, they're kind of confusing lore-wise, they get lightning reflexes, and they get to turn invisible. They'd be less awful if they didn't get to turn invisible after cloning someone imo, that's what really tips them over into 'gently caress off' territory.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

megane posted:

The worst thing about WotC (well, XCOM2 in general) for me is how nearly every enemy is just a normal-rear end humanoid. All the different kinds of Advent infantry, specters, codices, the lost, the Chosen, the various shadows that get summoned... even sectoids and mutons are way more human-shaped than in EU. I think the only enemy we've seen that couldn't be played by a human in a rubber suit is the viper.

We'll meet some friends who are more alien later

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Akratic Method posted:

Even if you do have to kill them, if you want to just cheese them with a reaper and sniper(s) and make letting them move/act a bonus video , I won't complain.

Edit: to be honest, when Danaru LPed this game and wiped one of them without it ever moving, I laughed pretty hard. It'll be a fun sight for the folks who don't realize how exploitable the rulers' rules are.

I thought you were going to talk about the Jade Star LP, where he executed the archon king when it had 110 HP left

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Wild Hunt is 'the chosen appear constantly' so not that big of a deal for this campaign considering we've only met one of them
e: ooh nevermind we just met sniperman. He's really easy lol. In terms of difficulty I'd probably rank them (guy we haven't seen yet) > assassin > sniper

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 30, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Most of the various ammo types are good with pistoleers though you'll probably just end up using AP rounds since they're always useful. Venom rounds are probably the closest to being super useful because of the aim malus, I think.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm kind of surprised you didn't go for the psionics rush. it's not as good as it could be but it's still a pretty sizable cut off a long research project.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

eating only apples posted:

I hope we see an ambush at some point, I've only done one before and they're hard.

Looking forward to Ruler Time next time! Do you always face the rulers in the same order, or could we see any of them at this point, as we've seen all their corresponding enemies?

It's always in the same order.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't remember if this is higher difficulty only or if it's something that always happens but please note that the advent lancer now has an armor pip in addition to his health boost.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I actually don't think you're going to get an avenger defense this month, unless it can spawn a chosen defense mission without the chosen.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FairGame posted:

This is, ah...extremely incorrect.

[/S p O i L e R]

Excited to see them wheel out the half dead assassin for this one

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hopefully we can finish Asia soon so we can get more bodies on the roster

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Blast padding is one of my favorite bonus perks to get, because man that +1 armor is real good

I'm also shocked you aren't picking up LR, it's a must-have on literally anyone, even if they're a sniper. It's that loving strong, and it's very rare.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

eating only apples posted:

I understand that this mission was very stressful and annoying and long, and I was tired of it too by the end, but then I saw this, rewound, and :lmao:

Bullets: the more the merrier!! That's my motto :thumbsup:

Grenadier Motto: Bombs + Bullets = solved problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I only realize now that I should have been a skirmisher instead of a heavy, what with my name. :negative: