Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Name: Reign Evil

Appearance: Doesn't matter what I look like just make sure I have a ton of red on.

Class: Sharpshooter

Trust me I'll hit that 70% shot I won't even blink on it.

Reaper is definitely our best option for starting so I'm gonna be contrarian and suggest we go Templar.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I wanna speak up for early game skirmishers. Specifically, their ability to yank an enemy over TOWARD you is invaluable on the first mission because under normal circumstances getting close enough to have a near guaranteed shot at the enemy means activating the second pod with the officer.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Wow we are starting with a pretty good resistance order!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Had you hired me and put me in we wouldn't be having these missed shots coach!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
One thing I think I might like, from an audience perspective, is if you didn't tell me things like "having an extra action would have been super useful" until it comes up in the mission that we needed it. The suspense is half the fun!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
For what it's worth I think you made the right call.

Not picking feedback immediately. I respect the balls on that decision even if I disagree with it!

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 15, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

megane posted:

I feel like they introduce the Chosen way too early. This is what, the third mission of the campaign? You get four guys, and you're lucky if they're all squaddies. Now, fight this crazy teleporting murder machine with a million HP who gets seven actions a round and can easily disable two of your soldiers a turn, from anywhere, without exposing herself to danger. And she'll probably attack while you're fighting another pod. Obviously it's supposed to set them up as this terrifying threat, but it's mostly just ridiculous.

e: What it reminds me of is starting a new character in an MMO that already has expansions, so you walk into the first town as a level 2 farmer with a stick and find that there's this giant angel robot wrapped in purple flames sitting outside the item shop who informs you that he can teleport you to the Plane of Annihilation once you hit level 56. Gotta introduce that DLC!

On classic I'd describe your first chosen fight as usually manageable. The occasional bad map + grapple + sniping tomfoolery aside. On Legendary though you just have to get in that crucial first strike, with the Assassin that means gigantic double moves in the direction you expect her to be coming from so that you make first contact, which would have risked revealing the other two aliens somewhere on the map here. Not really any good options but that's why it's the hardest difficulty.

I can't speak to legendary difficulty but on classic if you have the more "story oriented" campaign enabled for WoTC your first encounter with the chosen will be a heavily scripted mission in which the assassin has about two thirds of her health available. Also you'll have more soldiers available. On the downside the Assassin will have arguably her most over-powered of the randomly drawn chosen strengths, immunity to overwatch shots. Which makes her even more difficult over the course of the campaign, so it's a tradeoff.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

ONE point off that +20 lmao

also I never use the sword on rangers, ever. 90% fuckin sucks. seeing you go for it was wild considering how averse you are normally to risky plays like that

Well I mean you can pick up a promotion that ups it to 100% and gives you an extra two damage on top. On classic this means pretty much one hit kills on any sectoids.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If we weren't leaning so heavy on our templar for some of these missions we wouldn't be in nearly so deep with these mental conditions. Now as best I can tell we're gonna have to pick and send some rookies out without much equipment or backup to cover for them. Not a spot I envy to be honest.

Personally I tend to send an entire squad of rookies out (on whatever version of that lost mission we got a couple videos ago that the game serves me up) so I can fill up on promotions before we get into situations like this where there's a good chance we're gonna be forced to take on the Assassin again but with our Templar out due to exhaustion.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The key to skirmishers is really the key to all of Xcom since we still don't actually have proper procedural map generation, memorizing the maps and playing so often that you know roughly which corner the enemy will be standing in even if you don't know precisely which squares.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
A skirmishers' best abilities are gated behind needing to be used on a humanoid enemy, which I thought really sucked until I remembered that the final battle happens to be decided by how fast you can murder three humanoid enemies who happen to be gigantic dicks about teleporting around after you land a hit on them

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

It seems like if you didn't literally bee-line it to the objective, you fail the objective.

This is correct and was my major criticism of Xcom 2, however War of the Chosen offers several attractive options for mitigating this problem that we can pursue later if we wish.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Everyone should be thinking of alternate nicknames for you character

"Sir not appearing in this film" :p

I kid I kid.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Fan-Fuckin-Tastic mission there. I'd be careful on your next couple of outings tho because with all of the amazing rolls you pulled off there re: crits and stunlancers I think it's pretty likely you're in for a real rough turn of luck soon.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Munin posted:

Natch, one day away from being ready to be blown up again.

I have to admit I am curious to see how your strategic layer stuff pans out. Not played WotC so don't know what a good/optimal play is but curious to see what I can learn from this playthrough. Whether through your pain or success. :D

Did you get a free Reaper there or is that just for the first faction you encounter? Also, what happens if the Chosen bar maxes out?

By investigating a faction's location at the resistance ring they automatically grant you a free unit from their faction. If one of them gets blown up or killed you can get one more by doing another mission at the resistance ring.

If a chosen bar maxes out they get a chance to shoot down the avenger with a gigantic fuckoff cannon and you get to send out 12 dudes to blow up a whole bunch of enemies, some alien vehicles, the giant gun and the chosen who shot you down... It's fun!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
There is no way I could be harder on you here than you were on yourself. I hope the next one goes better for you, if you do decide to pick up extra soldiers and I'm on the draw feel free to spec me out as a grenadier or a ranger since it looks like we're gonna need those.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
A good mission. My only advice would be that Specters ain't no thing if you just prioritize revival protocol over hacking mecs. Your unconscious soldier pops right up eager to shoot that dumb nanobot conglomerate in its dumb alien face and the only time you might find this trick doesn't work is when weird vertical parts of the map mean the specter is only a few tiles away but several floors above you.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I can't help but feel like the decision to delay encountering the rulers for as long as possible and the decision not to get the bolt caster are going hand in hand here.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Dancer posted:

e: holy poo poo

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Never buying EMP grenades, which when upgraded to EMP bombs and paired with a grenadier with the two-grenades promotion and biggest booms are THE hard counter to all specter shenanigans and also neutralize the two most powerful non-boss units in the game

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Send two conceal rangers on the ambush keep to the second floor of the buildings near you bing bing bong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008