Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Start with a Skirmisher.

And signing up!

Name: Cythereal
Appearance: Blonde, professional military look in blue or green.
Class: Grenadier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'll be interested to see what becomes of this because I never bought War of the Chosen - all the stuff it adds that sounds interesting to me is heavily outweighed by everything it adds that makes me scream gently caress no. I thought X-COM 2 in general was a huge disappointment, so maybe this LP will change my mind.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

StoryTime posted:

If you didn't like XCOM2, WotC won't blow your mind. It's the same thing with additional anime villains and more crazy guns.

Edit: the photo mode and the mission posters are a goddamn genius addition though, and are alone worth the price of admission.

Fair enough. The Chosen themselves are the big "What the gently caress, no" thing to me, from everything I've seen and read.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The willpower system alone makes me think I made the correct decision in not buying War of the Chosen.

Edit: Wow the Lost seem un-fun to fight. I like the idea of a different kind of enemy that forces you to play and fight very differently, and I could see these being fun if you have the right tools for them, but as it is they seem very tedious and bullshit. You know, just like every appearance of zombies in every video game ever.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 14, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FairGame posted:

Great question!

So...soldiers develop maluses if bad things happen in combat (they go into combat tired, their willpower dips a TON, they get beat up badly or see an ally get wrecked). Some of these are random (like cautious). Some of them are tied to the bad thing (watching an ally get eaten by Lost might result in developing "Fear of the Lost".)

For "Fear of X" maluses (robots, sectoids, the lost, the chosen, fire, etc.), the FIRST time in a mission that soldier sees the met condition, s/he will panic and lose their turn. There's also fun ones like "fear of missed shots" so you get to watch your missed 95% be much worse than just a single missed shot.

Then there are the generic ones like "cautious" and "compulsive reloader". Most of those are just "after the soldier's first action, there's an X% chance on ALL turns that s/he will hunker down, or use their last action on a reload." Because they can appear more than once on a mission, they're very annoying, but they're generally not as debilitating as the one-time PANIC in the "fear" tree.

Once we develop an infirmary, we can send a single soldier at a time to clear his/her maluses, 10 days per malus.

So far, the only thing WotC has added that seems neat is the new classes.

The rest of this stuff, sheesh.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

eating only apples posted:

I love the maluses, but I always mentally assign personalities to my soldiers and get emotionally attached

The whole concept of the neuroses and mental health bar makes me wonder if Firaxis wasn't consciously trying to ape Darkest Dungeon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chuu posted:

This is why I only did one play-through on XCom 2. It just wasn't fun for me to always fight the clock. I've heard though that the mod that starts the countdown from the time you're revealed instead of the time you land is a nice balance though, and I believe it's one of the most popular XCom2 mods.

XCom2 LW just looks unfun with the timer.

This. The timer feels very at odds with the stealth mechanic. The stealth mechanic would seem to reward you for being patient, moving carefully, and setting up the perfect ambush, but the clock forces you to rush.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Junpei posted:

The reason Firaxis added the timers in the first place was to counteract the boring optimal strategy of XCOM 1 of slowly moving forward, using Overwatch every turn.

I don't think it worked well, but I can see what they were going for.

The stealth system also counteracts that strategy by letting you know what's safe and what's not when you move. Stealth and the timer are pulling the gameplay in opposite directions, and a part of why I feel X-COM 2 doesn't quite have a cohesive identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FairGame posted:

Quoted for truth. "Barrels of Fun" is also bullshit, but was at least fun bullshit in our favor. Some of the others, man...

I don't mean to keep harping on it, but man WotC keeps seeming less and less fun with every new feature that turns up.