Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
Oh hell yes! this is gonna be great.

Name: "Hellfire" Dremel
Appearance: Not his first rodeo
Class: Demolitions dude / VIP

fairgame posted:

their leader is voiced by Commander Riker

There's a few more TNG actors voicing NPC's in Xcom2. I think about 5 or 6 of them have done voice acting for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wait a minute, so even a few lost will cause your computer or console to turn into a barbecue? I thought it was only big swarms that did that?

And it's good to see I'm on fine form as usual, missing a 94%-to-hit shot :madmax:

My PC handles them just fine. It's a console thing because of the hardware in the PS4 I think.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

Dremel posted:

Supplemental log 23-B

Normally I'd be watering my vegetation right about now. Laura, my love I miss you, would be busy tending the sheep. all would be well this fine Spring weather. At least that's what I thought would happen.
A critical connection error in one of the security bots early in the morning on March 16th 2035 made it send out a public signal looking for a network to hook up to. I only noticed it too late after it had been pinging a few hours because of a random diagnosis check. Analyzing the bot itself I saw no physical malfunction or damage so I started checking the OS. Digging myself in the code and diagnostics. I wanted to not let this kind of mishap happen again.

We are off the grid for almost 5 years now and I'd hate to see it all go to waste because of something small like this. Hopefully noone picked it up. The population here in Chile is sort of sparse, especially in this remote area.
At around 16:15 March 17th 2035 a perimeter alert went off. Seeing as I was already prepared and on edge because of the malfunction the day before I warned Laura and we both started checking the various cameras for intrusion or movement, hoping against all hope it would be a 'too large for its kind' animal that set it off and not Advent who finally found us. If they'd ever got their hands on her it would spell doom for everyone involved. I'd never live it through and would go down fighting.

I made a mental note of where we keep the pistols and was on my way to get them out of the safe but Laura called me back. She pointed towards Camera #34 and a small weight lifted off my shoulders. there were only 2 people onscreen and they had no Advent signatures on their uniform. Instead was a familiar looking symbol from the old days. I sort of recognized it but couldn't lay my finger on who or what they represented. It was a long time ago from before The Merge. Laura and I didn't know what their intentions were so we did not raise the security level too high but did put them on alert status.
Bot #30 and #28 made contact. Two soldiers named Deadford and Kaishai as they called themselves were sent here to investigate the previous sent signal. They received it on long range scanners and were curious since it had no known signature but was complex enough to warrant an investigation.

Apparantly they are part of a rebellion trying to put a stop to the Extra-terrestial presence on earth and had evidence Advent is planning something that would change the world for the worse. Even more than it is now. They were looking for people like them to help and support the cause. We talked for a few hours and they stayed for dinner. Laura made her favorite stew.
I wanted to volunteer for their cause. After talking it over we both decided it is for the best of everyone's interest and she would be safe enough here alone. Plus I could keep her updated on any possible Advent activity in the area Kaishai promised us.

April 4th 2035 we finally arrived on their Mothership as they called it. Have to be honest my first impression was that it was kind of a ramshackle of a ship and barely operational. But having met Miss Sheng in my first briefing I know the ship is in good hands. She is a mechanical genius and considering the fact the ship flies and works in the state it currently is in is a testament to that. We discussed what would be the best place for me to start and I suggested clearing out the rubble downstairs. that place is 100 accidents waiting to happen. However the Commander of this whole operation had a different plan and wanted me to fix up their second communications array responsible for ongoing contact with their allies seeing as how my whole private network back home was setup. It would help them maintain comms with troops on the ground doing covert actions and keep communications 'off radar'. Making it easier to manage rendezvous locations and keep status updates.

As I advised them that it would be 'easy albeit not up to standard protocols' for me to maintain and there was always a possibility for a leak down the pipeline, I was reminded that Commander's orders are final and not to be challenged. So I set myself up and have begun repairs and modifications where nessecary. I don't know much about the actual happenings and what goes on around here but so far apart from the state of the ship it is run tight and military. it gives hope and seeing everyone so coordinated and focused on the overall project is inspiring. The next time I see Deadford or Kaishai in the hallways I'll promise them a drink or two. I hope Laura stays safe and she's doing fine. If all goes well I can send her a message in about two days when we are in range.

If I can't bleed out on a battlefield I'll write my own immersion

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

FairGame posted:

oh my god I think I completely missed creating your dude. I was really pleased with myself because I thought EVERYONE in the thread was contributing at some point in the campaign. I'll name a faction soldier after you eventually.

no no keep me on the resistance ring as engineer. or at least try to keep me there. I did specify I also wanted to be a VIP if needed, so engineer responsible of 'the resistance ring' is VIP. I'm still helpful there even if not on the battlefield. keep going Fairgame.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

Because somebody has to do it;

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

The fact you only have 1 pip left for ADVENT to 'almost' complete the project irks me. That prefix in the upload number becomes relevant again.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

eating only apples posted:

Can you only get two of the factions you don't start with? What about if both Megane and Dancer died, would you get another Templar or two, do the Templars always love you?

you can have

2 of the faction you start with
1 of the faction you contact later

if 1 (or 2) of them die and you have none (or 1 of your starting) of a faction in your roster there will be (hopefully) a covert op to recruit a new one of that faction.

so for the LP (so far) this means

2 Templars
1 Reaper
1 Skirmisher

if the Reaper or Skirmisher dies Fairgame gets (hopefully) a covert op to get a new one. but only max 1.
if a Templar dies Fairgame gets (hopefully) a covert op to get a second one. but only max 2.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

FairGame posted:

I believe if you watch again you will notice that we CHILLED quite a bit!

:golfclap:

You did good btw. Thats a nice chunk of HP off the Viper

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

*keeps doing 40-60% shots*
"drat why do I keep missing?"
:xcom:

I can only imagine the decibel level of your PS4 trying to stop itself from melting down. That framerate is horrible.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Maybe we should start building Mimic Beacons now.

I'm kinda seconding this, after losing the frost bomb. That rescue bob mission was a first where things go south this bad this fast. But I'm fearful it won't be the last. And yes it is OP. but you don't have to use it. If only for emergencies like that.

Also Fairgame I may have missed it but what is your opinion of the Bolt Caster?

Robert Deadford posted:

I'm sorry it turned out this way.

I'm imagining this is in the back of your head when assaulting ADVENT from now on

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

FairGame posted:

Bolt Caster
Ok I can see your point.

Usually I give it to psionic units as well. And before that maybe a ranger treating it like a overcharged shotgun. My thought being that shotguns have a limited amount of ammo anyway and a ranger should be Blade-ing first, shooting second. That said I usually play a lot more defensive than you. and it's refreshing to see things go against my own gut feeling of how to act.

also to again mention that mission since I forgot, that Horror ability the spectre used was a first time for me too. never seen one use it. didn't even know they have it and I have completed WOTC multiple times. Though on Commander diff only. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

I genuinely stumped as to the in-story logic behind losing the Frost Bomb forever if the unit carrying it dies during a mission and isn't recovered.

It's a loving grenade. It gets consumed upon use, but you somehow always have a brand new one, ready and waiting to go next deployment... but strangely enough, only one unless you're a grenadier with that skill that doubles your grenades, in which case now you have two... but if you pass it to someone who can only use one grenade at a time, suddenly there's only one available for use now and- :psyboom:

Treat it as a gameplay thing. That kind of thinking makes you wonder how many toilets are on the Avenger and what ADVENT burgers are really made of. Or why Volk's name means 'People' in Dutch and how that is some sort of metaphor the game wants to subliminally convey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

Personally, what weirds me out about the grenades is that grenadiers can only carry two rounds. Even though the launcher they carry seems to have a bloody drum mag on it. Yeah, I know, gameplay idiosyncracy. Actually, while I'm at it, are the shadowkeeper/boltcaster/etc. ever explained? It just feels like someone on the art direction team had a hard-on for steampunk or something and decided to shoehorn it in where it otherwise wouldn't make sense.

I don't know what basic stats the snake armor grants us, but I am looking forward to the fringe benefits. Namely that snakes occasionally freak the gently caress out when they see some sick bastard waltz around wearing their skin. Seriously, it's a great touch.

I never got much use out of the Serpent armor. By the time you get to have it and equip, you don't see many snakes around from my experience with the game. But the Berserker one....hot drat that one is usefull.

Petition to Dress Deadford in that thicc glutes armor! +1