Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

just got a message from the queen:

plant borage yo. get it started late winter early spring the guerrilla garden it into any available empty lots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

The main garden. TomatoSection is probably overkill this year, like 30 plants with 4 broccoli behind it. Expect to can up a shitload of salsa. Mostly transplants but some of my own seeds.

A transplanted zinnea, and then WeedSection. WeedSection lookin strogn.

Kiddo's garden area -- nystreums (sp), pole beans, zinneas, beets, sunflower. All seed started.

Entirely new area I planted this year, tilling part of one of the upper pastures. I wanted to move the broadleaf poo poo up here because that stuff is a powder mildew magnet and fucks with the weed. However, I did this two days ago and groundhogs have already hosed with like three plants, so I think I either abandon this idea, or resign myself to digging more loving ditch. The only thing that keeps the groundhogs out of the main garden is the wire fence around it which I sunk into 120' of 12" wide x 12" deep channel which sucked. I hate digging ditches. Literally my least loving favorite activity after busting up rocks with a sledge, which, you will find, is a part of ditch digging.

I refuse to use lethal means, though; groundhogs rock, they are fun to see around and they look so happy when they steal a tomato or whatever. Groundhogs >> people, generally.

edit: yes, I need to weed. I weeded a lot on Friday, but we are at the point in the season where poo poo is starting to pop off in a big way.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I hate grasshoppers and earwigs!! is diatomaceous soil the best defense?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

it was getting too damned hot and i have too many things planted to make watering by hand happen as often as it should, so i decided to get everything on dripline and automate it

got pretty much the cheapest solenoid valves, $16 each, and they're built with threaded 1" input and output but come with reduction bushings that take them down to 3/4" threaded... my input manifold is 1/2" pvc (cheaper fittings) and the throughput is fine for low pressure 1/2" dripline... the whole thing is 1/2" pvc to 3/4" threaded then the included 3/4" to 1" bushing then the valve then a 1" to 1/2" threaded bushing then a 1/2" swivel tighten threaded to dripline adapter

all put together tight with thread tape

manifold all glued together

got it all wired up to an irrigation controller and running, no more hose dragging

it's not buried yet, but it's 103 out today so gently caress digging holes... sounds like an october job

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Spoondick posted:

it's not buried yet, but it's 103 out today so gently caress digging holes... sounds like an october job

That's what I did last year. Got everything laid out and installed in the "gently caress it's hot I'm not dragging a hose around" phase and then buried and prettied it all up when it was nice and chilly out.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Gardening really makes me think about how much land is needed to support each person. I have a fenced off garden of 15ft x 38ft. I planted 25 tomato plants this year (a row 38 feet long). I would need... idk... five-ten? times that to never need to buy tomatoes in a year for my family.

Picked 40 lbs and this will be my first attempt at jarring them. Roma, champion, celebrity, brandywine all going in.

20 lbs in a 16 quart pot:

The rest before I cut the stems out:

Everything in the pot after about 4 hours of reduction:

There is still a significant amount of tomato water in the pot. I think I might end up with 8 quarts.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I believe it's +/- 5 acres per person. agricultural self sufficiency requires growing a gently caress load of grain, which is why parts of the country, like in many countries, not just the u.s., is set aside just for growing grain

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

my ilex vomitoria, which I had suspected had died in transport, is showing some new growth. my toy aisle venus flytrap grow kit is now populated by 3 tiny adorable baby venus flytraps. the scratch parts of the garden are all getting covered by volunteer borage and wild flowers and roquette. thanks to climate change, fall is the new spring.

unfortunately, this year at least spring was the new winter

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

any recommendations for perennials or self seeders that blossom in the fall? yesterday I had a hummingbird looking over the yard, today a straggling honey bee. whatever sweet nectar those guys usually eat at this time of year seems to be suffering supply chain problems

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

any recommendations for perennials or self seeders that blossom in the fall? yesterday I had a hummingbird looking over the yard, today a straggling honey bee. whatever sweet nectar those guys usually eat at this time of year seems to be suffering supply chain problems

where you at. in the east of the US it's goldenrod and late aster season. Some of those guys are perennials and self seeders, but also very aggressive.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

any recommendations for perennials or self seeders that blossom in the fall?

Where are you? Climate?

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
My garden currently has mostly basil, abelia, phlox, and some late sunflowers that are still holding on to feed our pollinators. Bees really love the basil and it's super easy to grow all summer. Hummingbirds are getting close to moving on but they still are hitting up their feeder over the abelia bush, which they also enjoy. I moved some garlic chives into one of the beds last year, and the bees also love that when it does finally bloom, but it's giving the basil a run for its money as 'most runaway invasive plant ever". The phlox is pretty much done but it's kept the hummingbird and hummingbird moths busy all summer. We've mostly focused on food plants in the garden this year, but I'd recommend a sunflower like helianthus; also, Stonecrop sedum is a good fall bloomer and pretty low maintenance.

We also have Rose of Sharon and Crape Myrtle ornamentals that bloom pretty much throughout the spring to fall seasons. Unfortunately, both of my crape myrtles are covered with bark scale so I'm gonna have to cut them the hell back to get rid of em. Luckily they only attack the one type of plant, but man they look like crap, little fuzzy mold looking bastards all over the bark.

Also, don't hesitate to get a hummingbird feeder and put some sugar water out for em. You'll likely get a lot traveling ones passing through as they migrate and they need all the energy they can get!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Where are you? Climate?

northwest coastal. the thing about the climate though...you see it is a changing. this year everything's about a month and a half late and we had a snow storm in april and stuff. forest fires and heat domes and stuff have also made it weird and, anecdotal as it is, it seems to be getting weirder every year. so I'm not really looking for a specific best solution according to precedent, because I think precedent is going to become increasingly irrelevant, but a broad list of things that work in similar conditions, hopefully with enough variation and broadness in exactly how similar those conditions are that there's something ready and suited for next year, with the caveat being that I'm not real sure what next year is going to be like

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

where you at. in the east of the US it's goldenrod and late aster season. Some of those guys are perennials and self seeders, but also very aggressive.

backyard's kinda rubbish anyway, I'm cool with aggressive. how do asters handle drought and heat?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
*me running into the thread*

I just got my compost pile up to 140 degrees for the first time. Previous records were only like 110. I DID IT I FINALLY DID IT

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

that's rad. is that adequate pasteurization temp to be using it as mushroom compost?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

that's rad. is that adequate pasteurization temp to be using it as mushroom compost?

It's high enough to kill off both pathogens and unwanted seeds - apparently as long as it maintains for over 3 days above 131f im good. Pretty excited. Been loving around with layering and making sure i soak it really well because its been so dry here that its hard to keep the pile moist enough to stay hot.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

northwest coastal. the thing about the climate though...you see it is a changing. this year everything's about a month and a half late and we had a snow storm in april and stuff. forest fires and heat domes and stuff have also made it weird and, anecdotal as it is, it seems to be getting weirder every year. so I'm not really looking for a specific best solution according to precedent, because I think precedent is going to become increasingly irrelevant, but a broad list of things that work in similar conditions, hopefully with enough variation and broadness in exactly how similar those conditions are that there's something ready and suited for next year, with the caveat being that I'm not real sure what next year is going to be like

California Poppies self seed almost invasively, but I live bit more south than you. You can find them in more colors than just orange, the red California poppies I've seen are really striking. I recommend checking out your Native Plant Society for suggestions, native plants are always better for your local birds and bees. https://www.wnps.org/native-plant-directory

I'm trying to grow micro-greens for the first time. I bought bulk bags of broccoli and arugula. Trying the arugula first.

I put potting soil down, sprinkled the seeds over, then put more soil on top. Next time I won't put the extra soil on top, I wasn't able to make it even, so some spots are lumpy. I might need to put more seeds at once, I just used a "pinch". Next batch will be a full tablespoon of seed.

The pot is a great self-watering container, manufactured here in the Bay Area using ceramics. https://ortakitchengarden.com/ (sign up to the news letter for deals, cause these shits are expensive)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

bulbs are starting to sprout, I've planted my garlic chives and the wife will be picking up a new light when she does her erranding. it begins

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm going to put my shovel into the dirt
and chase the devil out of earth

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Dahlias will bloom in the PNW from early summer until the first hard frost, bees love them and the tubers can just be left in the ground for the next year. Black eye Susans work, as do any sort of Sunflower that has multiple blooms per stalk. Cosmos as well go absolutely nuts.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

check this out; it's like inaturalist but for variety trials:
https://seedlinked.com
you can sign up to trial a certain veg & they'll send you 3-4 varieties, gratis; you then just evaluate how they grow throughout the season
cool way to grow something you were going to grow anyway while contributing to our resilient food future.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it was too cold in the greenhouse for tomatoes to sprout but I'm pretty sure I got a few madrones sprouted. I'll take that as a win. what's your favorite paper bark tree or shrub?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Fuchsia excorticata

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Eugenia involucrata

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Acer griseum

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Arctostaphylos silvicola

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hydrangea quercifolia

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I am going to get a bottle of 100% indole 3 butryic acid and I am either going to get some yerba matte cuttings rooted or I am going to turn into stephen king in creepshow

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's been warm, we've gotten some very unwestcoast late spring rains and forest fires haven't blocked out the sun yet. my tomatoes are looking good. the wild bergamot I planted is doing well. got some tiny strawberries out of the tiny strawberry plant after like 3 years.

I think I've seen one honey bee so far this year. had some bumble bees but not all that many, not enough to make up for the lack of honey bees

how are your plants doing, thread?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Apparently my backyard is 90-100% bindweed, so I think I'm going to switch to hydroponics. I don't have the time or resources to fight this battle in the soil.
PYF ghetto outdoor hydroponic setups

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

it's been warm, we've gotten some very unwestcoast late spring rains and forest fires haven't blocked out the sun yet. my tomatoes are looking good. the wild bergamot I planted is doing well. got some tiny strawberries out of the tiny strawberry plant after like 3 years.

I think I've seen one honey bee so far this year. had some bumble bees but not all that many, not enough to make up for the lack of honey bees

how are your plants doing, thread?

I am on the west coast and I am not seeing very many bees as well. My yard is filled with flowers.

All the cool weather, my tomatoes seem slower than previous years.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

God damnit, I keep making the mistake of clicking the HCH gardening thread and EVERYTIME is bullshit like this

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's nothing wrong with glyphosate

:(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I am on the west coast and I am not seeing very many bees as well. My yard is filled with flowers.

All the cool weather, my tomatoes seem slower than previous years.

east coast same deal, it froze in mid May in the midst of a three week spell of zero precipitation.

this last week it rained every single day and had spurts of intense sunshine and heat and the garden is absolutely exploding. lots of ichneumon wasps, good beetles, robber flies, etc but not many bees :(

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Organic Lube User posted:

Apparently my backyard is 90-100% bindweed, so I think I'm going to switch to hydroponics. I don't have the time or resources to fight this battle in the soil.
PYF ghetto outdoor hydroponic setups

kratky hydro tomatoes in terribly disguised trashcans

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
How do I get my blueberries to actually flower next year? I put a bunch of acid fixers in the soil and added a bunch of western red cedar bark chips and stuff last winter and this winter they just never like super filled out. Any other tips? They're in the big 10gal soil bags so i have pretty free reign to do whatever needs to be done.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

God damnit, I keep making the mistake of clicking the HCH gardening thread and EVERYTIME is bullshit like this

:(

I have used glyphosate a lot for ecological restoration work and really don't think there are any problems with it when used properly. Broad application over agricultural fields is another story though.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I I also agree its good in limited applications where it makes sense but if I can easily mechanically remove something, I will. I've almost entirely hand removed 5 very large (like probably 40sqft of clumps) bamboo groups and its a bit of work, sure. But if I were to use any sort of spray on it i'd also need to watch it like a hawk for years and still keep spraying as various runners get away. The spray it option has been constantly presented to me over and over again every single time I talk to someone about this and I don't particularly understand. I did a test section of cut / spray and basically the bamboo laughed at it and kept going.

English Ivy is a bit more receptive although for big climbers - 3-4 inches wide - you need to basically take a drill, make a hole and keep filling that with the murder juice and do it for a few days in a row, every time with a new hole in order to poison out the whole underground root system. poo poo is loving exhausting.

I dont even know what im supposed to do with golden arch angel that isn't just a wide spray so I pull it instead.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Just plant a bunch of mints nearby and do some biological warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Glyphosate is really bad for soil organisms, bees, insects (hey how come there are no dead bugs on my windshield after I go on a road trip?)

But whatever, the world is hosed, might as well smoke a cigarette on the Titanic.