Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

built our raised beds a few weeks ago. put up some chicken wire to keep the pups out.

planted tomatoes, pumpkins, turnip, beans, carrots strawberry. can’t wait to see them when they get a bit taller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

twoday posted:

Does anyone know how plants work?

This bodhi tree cannot survive temperatures below 10 degrees celcius, otherwise the roots rot, so I kept in inside most of the year and recently took it out to the balcony. Almost immediately several of the leaves bleached themselves. I think maybe it wasn't used to the brightness and temperature changes of being outside and became unhappy. I put it under a little table and that seemed to help, though maybe it's just gotten used to being outside? It seems to have stopped, at least, but it still seems pretty unhappy, should I move it back inside?

twoday posted:

I wanted to make a bonsai, so the small pot is intentional but this thing keeps growing taller. I also have an acacia in a giant pot that I planted as a seed last year and it's already up to my sternum in height, but the trunk is so tall and skinny that it can't support the weight of the leaves and also sort of of fell over. It's very cloudy here most of the time so I think all the trees try to grow taller to reach the sun, not realizing that this is as good as it gets

I don’t know about these trees specifically, but for many bonsais it is beneficial to remove them from the pot annually, wash the roots and replant. possibly it’s a bit waterlogged and needs some pea gravel in the mix and especially at the bottom of the pot. you can find images of leaves with various nutrient deficiencies also and compare.

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

it might have just gotten a sunburn and will want to spend the beginning of the summer under the table.