Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Gonna throw some discs at some baskets and hopefully if anyone of authority approaches me I can chalk it up to exercise.

For those not in the know disc golf is played like ball golf but with a Frisbee like object. There are a few courses around here and they are underutilized by actual disc golf players. They are over-utilized by people drinking goon during the daytime and smoking cigarette butts.

One day I'd like to do a Tron cosplay and play some nighttime disc golf with neon targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My son is a fanatic. Special Bag that holds like 15 discs (a lot found), they gamble their discs for each round. I taught him how to throw when he was a young Burt :smug:

Good social distance sport too.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
Please, Jim is dead...

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Burt Sexual posted:

My son is a fanatic. Special Bag that holds like 15 discs (a lot found), they gamble their discs for each round. I taught him how to throw when he was a young Burt :smug:

Good social distance sport too.

Has it occurred to you that your son is using his love of the sport to smoke copious amounts of marijuana, and his true love of the sport wont blossom until hes in his late 20s. Speaking from personal experience only.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

They've closed the courses here because idiots keep coming in big groups to play.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The_Continental posted:

Has it occurred to you that your son is using his love of the sport to smoke copious amounts of marijuana, and his true love of the sport wont blossom until hes in his late 20s. Speaking from personal experience only.

Unlikely, but at least he’s not driving drunk

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Johnny Walker posted:

They've closed the courses here because idiots keep coming in big groups to play.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Stay inside please

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The_Continental posted:

1999 is just a big old haze of weed smoke and disc golf for me, it was great. Bonus points because back then and in this area, NOBODY played disc golf except the indie rock stoners (and also, for some reason, literally Metallica when they played here lol)

Having seen James Hetfield throw a Frisbee is a trip

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I started to play when I was in high school and it was a great way to break away from my (in retrospect kinda lovely) group of friends. I met people who were much older and way different to me. Its such a good relaxing sport and can be as competitive as you want it to be.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Seriously though, stay the gently caress inside.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

The_Continental posted:

There are a few courses around here and they are underutilized by actual disc golf players. They are over-utilized by people drinking goon during the daytime and smoking cigarette butts.

I thought the point of disc golfing was that you drink while you're doing it

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Julius CSAR posted:

Seriously though, stay the gently caress inside.

I'd rather not. I'm in Australia and my course is located in the back of a sprawling public park. I've only seen one other person there in the 2 years I've been playing the course and they were about 100M away from me. Health.gov.au has qualified exercise as an "essential activity", and this is something I'll be doing solo. Exercise and out of doors activity are a big part of my life and well-being. I've also been unemployed since January and decided to take the leap and start a career change mere weeks before this whole thing reached a head. Stress has been high and this is a good healthy way to decompress while maintaining social distance.

Loden Taylor posted:

I thought the point of disc golfing was that you drink while you're doing it

You can and I have, but as with anything you'll play a lot better sober.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

The_Continental posted:

You can and I have, but as with anything you'll play a lot better sober.

I find that I actually get better as I loosen up and stop thinking about form so much

until somewhere around the back 9 when I'm drunk af and my skill dives off a cliff, so I'm gonna say alcohol and disc golf is a Land of Contrasts

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I used to think that somewhere between 2 and 3 beers was my sweet spot but then I realized I had just been playing for a while and my muscle memory had come back.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Westside Discs all day.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I find it's easier to stay 100ft away from everyone else on the disc golf course compared to walking around the neighborhood or on easily accessible trails. That said, you are sharing the baskets with everyone else - you have to be a little aware of where your discs are compared to normal times. Some of the groups I've seen on the course are clearly families, other foursomes are definitely not.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im appreciating the extremely low bar that qualifies are exercise here

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Thats a fair point, I guess I'll make sure I'm sanitizing my hands while throwing. And again, its really difficult for me to overstate how little the course gets used. This is North Brisbane. Most people have never even heard of disc golf. A foursome is drat near unheard of.

AKZ posted:

Westside Discs all day.

I've never thrown any Westside! I want to give them a shot but as a former Michigan boy I've played with a lot of Discraft.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 14, 2020

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Chinatown posted:

im appreciating the extremely low bar that qualifies are exercise here

Chinatown IRL:

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

The_Continental posted:

I've never thrown any Westside! I want to give them a shot but as a former Michigan boy I've played with a lot of Discraft.

If I remember right I went wraith groove nuke sword and now queen. Had a bunch of randoms mixed in but those were the main ones.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I miss getting stoned and playing disc golf

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

sorry i only play ultimate :smug:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

look at this nerd, just fuckin look at him

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
we all got real real high and went over to the disc golf course and it was closed up

we done all got real high for nothing

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

TheAardvark posted:

we all got real real high and went over to the disc golf course and it was closed up

same except nobody controlled anything at the local disc golf courses so we did stupid poo poo like play in hurricane winds and laughed like morons (we were definitely morons)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i live in denver and i tried playing in 50 mph winds once

i drove that fucker 600 feet directly behind me. god bless.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I tried taking my partner out to play because she bought me some discs for christmas. She has barely thrown a frisbee which I thought would probably be to her benefit. It was not. She sliced her first throw directly into a horrible creek that is probably filled with poisonous snakes.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

Hey buddy unless they got guard dogs that course is fair game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Losing your first few discs is part of the authentic experience

As is finding other people's lost discs

The circle of life.

And also of Frisbees

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

In that way it is the same as regular golf.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

look at this freakin badass

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

In that way it is the same as regular golf.

Its scored the same. You get a point for each throw or "stroke". You throw from where the disc lies. You are penalized for going out of bounds or ending up in a hazard. There are different discs for different purposes (distance drivers, fairway driers, midrange, approach, putter, etc.) and they all fly differently.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

No drinks carts tho. It's inferior in that regard. Weed is way more acceptable so there is still balance.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

precision posted:

Losing your first few discs is part of the authentic experience

As is finding other people's lost discs

The circle of life.

And also of Frisbees

I found a disc last year with a phone number on it and was able to get it back to the owner's sister. She mailed it to him and he was heading to the Australian Disc Golf Championships the next week. Kinda cool.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

disc golf is good op

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Disc golf dangerous if you practice social distancing. If you're more than 6 feet from people, you might get pegged in the head by a Frisbee.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
How does one 'drink goon'?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Goon is the Australian term for cheap boxed wine. Alcohol is very expensive here and goon is usually the best "bang for your buck" option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4LQglpbrsw here is a professional documentary about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

The_Continental posted:

Goon is the Australian term for cheap boxed wine. Alcohol is very expensive here and goon is usually the best "bang for your buck" option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4LQglpbrsw here is a professional documentary about it.

it's like a tooth grater