Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Arcturas posted:

I need to figure out arcanist, I always feel so fragile, even with a qss on vex to keep her in the frontline.

Innovator is a little weird because I’m not finding the classic ice cream cone enchanter comp working as well, but I think you could go for an innovator/assassin comp with kha’zix carry.

I was watching Aesah play 6 Arcanist yesterday (poker player who won the innovator cup). He generally runs:

Carry: Malz (3) w/ gunblade + blue buff + 1 other item (giant slayer is pretty common if he needs to dump excess swords/bows after gunblade/statikk shiv are completed)
Main tanks: Vex 3, Cho 2/3 if mutant trait is good for Malz, Off tank = Morg 2
Speed bump: Swain 2.
Item priority: tears early to set up the blue buff for Malz. Excess tears -> statikk shiv > chalice / redemption > HoJ. https://lolchess.gg/profile/na/aesah/s6.5/matches/ranked/1.
Arcanists seem to lead to bot 4s in high-roll lobbies (gold/prismatic augs), so I rarely stick to 6 Arcanist and tend to pivot into Debo (esp if I get arcanist emblems or VIP brand early and ride blue buff to top 4) or fast 9 for Viktor + Silco if win-streaking (or lose-streaking) hard.

For innovator, I usually slowroll Ez or Twitch early with AD items, then pivot later to a stronger AD carry. If the game feeds me scrap early (blitz or ziggs 2), I run 2->4 scrap. Same deal with yordles. Ekko carries Morello, Frozen heart or 1 component for scrap 4 bonus, can move morello to seraphine later if needed (but most people just stick with ekko all game).
Mid/Late game pivots if you don't find an innovator emblem and you're getting crushed:
4 assassin Kha'zix (last whisper or the armor piercing augment, infinity edge, some form of lifesteal e.g. bloodthirster / socialite 3 / mutant omnivamp / thrill of the hunt)
Jhin (IE + last whisper/ad-item + qss/trap-claw if dying to cc)
Pivoting out of scrap opener: Irelia (can backfire badly against Tahm or bodyguard front lines), Jinx 2 if you find her
Jayce 2 (pretty rare unless you get a lucky fast 9)

I almost never seem to find innovator emblems, so I end up pivoting most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

njsykora posted:

This is hilarious given Mort's stance on this when people were asking for it back in Rise of the Elements was "No, never."
https://twitter.com/TFT/status/1491819271596527616

It's probably because they had no choice anymore, considering some of the overlays were doing the same thing, so they had to implement it to keep the playing field even for those of us who run the game vanilla.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Is there a clear way to tell why you are losing? I enjoy the game but I feel like I'm just very overwhelmed by all the variables. Trying to learn items, positioning, etc is a massive ask for me, and I can never seem to get it right, constantly getting to 4-5th place and then when I lose I just don't understand why, or understand why I win. Like even the basics of where to put champions feel very confused, if I try and group up I get destroyed by aoe, split up my team just loses anyway.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Eimi posted:

Is there a clear way to tell why you are losing? I enjoy the game but I feel like I'm just very overwhelmed by all the variables. Trying to learn items, positioning, etc is a massive ask for me, and I can never seem to get it right, constantly getting to 4-5th place and then when I lose I just don't understand why, or understand why I win. Like even the basics of where to put champions feel very confused, if I try and group up I get destroyed by aoe, split up my team just loses anyway.

honestly it's probably a million things, the game is super unforgiving and bad at indicating what you've done wrong. Here's a couple tips I wish i knew when I started regardless of set/comp i'm playing/positioning/etc:

1) Reroll your shop *way* less often. You generally only want to roll in specific scenarios, like maintaining a win streak (this is less frequent than it seems) trying to stabilize your board at 3-2ish (or 3-starring your 2 cost carry), find your big damage dealing carry at 3-5 or 4-1, or hit level 8 at 5-1 and build the best board you can. Every time you roll you're not only losing 2 gold, you're losing all the future compounded interest that gold could offer you.
2) Positioning. Tanks in front, ranged damage in back. Also, scouting. The game tells you now what three players you might face next, so check out their boards in the last few seconds before the round starts. If they have assassins, put your carry on the opposite side so they don't immediately get jumped on. Make sure you're getting value out of items like Zeke's/Locket/Whatever the +AP ice cream cone is but don't sacrifice good positioning for it.
3) Pick a composition that you like and play it no matter what for a dozen games or so. It's not the best advice to immediately climb the ladder but you'll start recognizing what items you need to put together and what counters you, all of which is applicable to future patches (and even future sets).

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Eimi posted:

Have you tried putting your ranged units behind your melee?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 1, 2022

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Well, I suck at this game, but I usually can get top 4 by just leveling and slamming item early to keep up win streak. Then I'll falloff hard because I never re-roll so I never have any 3*s and my items may not be optimal for my eventual carry, but by then I am usually also close to level 9 so I'll lose a few games then hit level 9, and rebuild my garbage board with fresh 4-cost and 5-cost and usually a level advantage for a few more fights. Even if it doesn't work out I sometimes get second place due to the sheer amount of health I have so eventually the 3rd place player get eliminated by first place player before I lose.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Is it still a good idea to econ up over 50 then spend that cash to get up to level 7 early?

Or in general should I just be staying over 50 gold for the increased income?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Is it still a good idea to econ up over 50 then spend that cash to get up to level 7 early?

Or in general should I just be staying over 50 gold for the increased income?

Right now, the entire meta seems to be focused around Irelia, and getting quickly to 7 increases your chance of finding Irelia, so yes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

But it's OK Mortdog says people who are forcing Irelia don't know how to play the game so it's alright that she's dominating every lobby at most people's ranks.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

njsykora posted:

But it's OK Mortdog says people who are forcing Irelia don't know how to play the game so it's alright that she's dominating every lobby at most people's ranks.

Well you got your wish. Irelia got nerfed hard. Only played a few games on the new patch, but top 4 is usually Sivir (vert hextech), Warwick reroll, 6-8 arcanist, occasional other stuff (Zeri good stuff, yordle reroll if they survive to veigar 2, etc). Vex/Swain are pretty strong frontliners right now.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

laddering mercs is just soooo satisfying

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Resurrecting this dead thread just to scream into the void about losing my Mr. 100 thanks to a server crash!

The changes they are making in tomorrow's patch is going to make it hilarious to play for the next month. Everyone gets a dragon egg that either hatches super fast giving everyone a tome of traits, or it takes longer to hatch and gives some bonus stuff, I think the longest one hatches on round 27 and gives a tome of traits, a couple of normal items and a couple of radiant items.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Sounds like it’s time for me to push Masters!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

New set seems fun, when I can get the pbe client to connect at least.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

hachi machi

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

What’s good now

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I seem to have the most consistent success with bruiser 8 or ragewind shapeshifter right now.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

a fatguy baldspot posted:

What’s good now

Olaf, Swain, Elise

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Bumping. I think the set is actually good, much better than 7.0 but there's ao much stuff that's a time bomb/is already broken (after a dozen other things already had to get nerfed). Having seven stars of astrals in gives you 2 astrals per turn more often than not which is just wild. Seraphine ability applies to every hit if pantheon's ability so that's the new hot comp. Etc. I do recommend anyways it's the most fun I've had since 6.0.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

No Wave posted:

Bumping. I think the set is actually good, much better than 7.0 but there's ao much stuff that's a time bomb/is already broken (after a dozen other things already had to get nerfed). Having seven stars of astrals in gives you 2 astrals per turn more often than not which is just wild. Seraphine ability applies to every hit if pantheon's ability so that's the new hot comp. Etc. I do recommend anyways it's the most fun I've had since 6.0.

Not as hot, as I understand it, as Dragonmancer Nunu. Man gently caress Dragonmancer Nunu.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Plotac 75 posted:

Not as hot, as I understand it, as Dragonmancer Nunu. Man gently caress Dragonmancer Nunu.

Good news it got hella nerfed this latest patch.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

New set is up on the PBE.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Is it good?

I made my way back up to diamond this set but probably won't reach masters this time. Next set I might make a bigger effort.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It feels much more like normal TFT. I didn't realize just how out of control 7.5 was in terms of econ and giant trait power spikes. Some cool mechanics in there and the new augment type is very good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's fun but the PBE is currently unplayable because every game has someone abusing a bug with the Underground trait that lets them get infinite items/gold.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

TFT PBEs are kind of uniquely hosed up. I don't really recommend them.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

It's fun but the PBE is currently unplayable because every game has someone abusing a bug with the Underground trait that lets them get infinite items/gold.

Gotta love when devs forget to prevent a clickable event from being spammable.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No Wave posted:

TFT PBEs are kind of uniquely hosed up. I don't really recommend them.

TFT PBEs are fun most of the time, just not when there's an auto win bug.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

SirSamVimes posted:

Oh is THAT what happened??? how does that bug even happen lol

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You just mash click the "cut and run" button and it registers you getting the rewards several times. The upcoming daily patch is going to fix it.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

No Wave posted:

It feels much more like normal TFT.

this is an exciting review! i really feel like 7 (and especially 7.5) were completely off the rails

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

so this is an exploit, right?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I made it to Masters, and today I had the most ludicrous final board in ranked.

Hilarious stuff, thank you Mr. Mortdog.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Current patch is not good, but it is very silly fun for a game. Pick draven legend and his 2-1 augment.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Draven is about using the free rerolls at 7 to get gold star 4 costs, yea?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Elephunk posted:

Draven is about using the free rerolls at 7 to get gold star 4 costs, yea?
It's mostly about playing hyper aggro with his 2-1 augment. The roll augment is good and that's definitely a common strategy but the 2-1 spoils of war is imo what's defining the meta and making econ so insane at the moment.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

They nerfed Draven but everyone's still spamming him in my gold games, now there's 2 or 3 ezreals once in a while too.

I like playing Poro now, forcing a comp never gives me my best games anyway. And finding super crazy regular combat augs always helped me make an informed choice on my comp mid game, rather than being like "oh we gonna slam Kayle and Bastion with Guinsoos" before I open the client

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Gwen for free Elo in low plat mlord

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Everyone just picks the least impactful portal now because they're mostly just annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

The Yummi one that makes overtime start faster needs to be the default