Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

For approximately the SNES era and a bit after, I subscribed to Nintendo Power.

This was the first ones I got in the mail. For some reason, they came together:

Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg. There were a lot of game magazines. So, good news: archive.org has basically all of them.

Post the best articles and the oddest ads u they got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

EGM was always my favorite, always looked forward to those in the mail. Subscribed to them from 04 til about the end of their Ziff Davis days.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Next Generation was extremely my poo poo and I was super sad when they ceased publishing

Some magazines at the time like PSM and poo poo tried wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hard to be funny with annoying captions and speech bubbles and comics and everything felt forced, so I appreciated NG not plastering stupid poo poo everywhere even if I disagreed with a bunch of reviews

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

PSM was so full of 90's ATTITUDE!!!! you could feel it oozing out of every page, but I still miss my original Playstation with the PSM eyepatch smiley disc lid sticker.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I loved Tips & Tricks a lot back in the day. We were usually broke, but I knew how to beat so many games I'd never even touched lol

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I loved Tips & Tricks a lot back in the day. We were usually broke, but I knew how to beat so many games I'd never even touched lol

Same

In retrospect, it was like reading reviews of movies instead of watching movies, a vicarious experience of totally radd!

solar jetman

I think sushi-x might have been a weeaboo. Also the joke's on them: who could have foreseen the game boy lasting a million years?

Also EGM was full service, they reviewed *arcade games*

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I has this for the SNES. It was poo poo in ways you can't imagine

The wiki also says there were extra features in the Amiga version?!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!

EGM was was my poo poo because it was a gateway to Japan's Famitsu.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I read a lot of UK Nintendo magazines in the 90s because there were no dedicated Nintendo mags in Finland at that point. N64 Magazine was obviously the best one, but I mostly read Nintendo Official Magazine because the language was so much simpler and easier for me to understand as a young kid who had just started learning English at school.

In hindsight, NOM circa 1998-2000 was half Nintendo advertisement, half cult manual for children. While most official mags would generally avoid mention of competing consoles or very briefly acknowledge them if a game got ported, NOM went all in with the console warrior poo poo. They could not stop making GBS threads on the PlayStation, or "Fony GreyStation" as they so creatively called it. According to NOM, the N64 dominated the console market and the GreyStation was a failure with no good games whatsoever, and if a PlayStation game got ported to the N64 they were quick to talk up how much better the N64 version is than that lovely old GreyStation rubbish. There was a monthly feature named "Mario's Hammer Time" where readers would send in a PlayStation or Saturn console or peripheral to, well, get smashed with a hammer. On the letters page, the "best" (i.e. most positive about Nintendo) letters won some pretty impressive prizes each month.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think sushi-x might have been a weeaboo.

I believe that while the idea originated with a staff writer, eventually everyone was ghostwriting as Sushi-X.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I had a bunch of posts in the Retro Goon Gaming Club thread where I dove into old Nintendo Power magazines (and a few times Sega Visions) to give an idea of what magazines were talking about during games being discussed in the thread at the time. Some folks seemed to enjoy it, so here's a batch of them in that thread. And here's me quote-posting the first of that batch, wherein I talk about the Top 30/20 charts and how weird they were calculated.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I don't have any fun (annoying) history tidbits for ALttP because I figure everybody knows everything about Nintendo history at this point.

Or so I thought, but I figured I'd talk about A Link to the Past's Nintendo Power reign in the Top (Number) Charts. The magazine's ranking system for the Top 30 NES Games, then later Top 20 for each platform, was always kinda vague. During the NES days, games were ranked according to a points system from three different groups: "Players' Picks" which were game votes from magazine readers, "Pros' Picks" which were apparently votes from Nintendo Game Counselors and possibly other employees, and "Dealers' Picks" which was either based on what retailers thought would sell well or was based on sales data or whatever since this was never really specified.

While they provided a points breakdown for each category, they never really explained what the points were based on, or the math that was involved to determine the top games. And since the voting was only done by people who read the magazine, Nintendo employees, and allegedly sales people, the charts heavily favored Nintendo first-party titles, with the occasional third-party title grabbing the top position such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the like. Since this was all pre-internet and nobody did any real serious inquiry as to what people of the time really enjoyed, this is one of the few sources that gave insight into what was popular for the era, taken with a grain of salt of course.

The January 1992 issue of Nintendo Power changed the Top 30, which was only for NES games, into the Top 20, and gave the Game Boy and SNES their own top 20 categories next to the NES. By this time they stopped providing those points breakdowns from the Players/Pros/Dealers categories, so there's less data to gleam off the charts as a whole. On top of that, because the SNES didn't have many games out yet, a good chunk of the chart consists of whatever was actually out at the time, quality be damned, and unreleased games that people voted for. Because the points breakdown for each category was absent, you didn't know if those unreleased games were voted for by readers or if it was Nintendo employees and salesmen.

This is the January 1992 chart for the SNES. A Link to the Past, unreleased as of the publishing of the issue, was ranked #7, behind Super Castlevania IV and ahead of Super R-Type. Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball was ranked #17.

The game was released in April 1992, and hovered in third place for a couple month behind Super Mario World and F-Zero, briefly taking the #2 where it was ahead of newly crowned #3 game WWF Super Wrestlemania. It took the #1 spot in the August 1992.

An inactive blog did the math years ago on Nintendo Power charts and provided a numbers dump as to all the rankings, points, whatever related to these Top 20 charts, and a year or two ago I cross-referenced them to make a bad Twitter thread about Nintendo Power charts. The interesting things to take away from these Top 20 charts are that Zelda takes the number one position more times than any other game. However, it did not occupy that position for the majority of the SNES life span. It did, however, occupy at least the top three position for most of the magazine's coverage of the SNES charting, from January 1992 to December 1998, only falling below that threshold in the months prior to its release.

The first time it gets knocked off the #1 spot is by the home console port of Street Fighter II: The World Warrior. I feel like a lot of retrospectives on the 16-bit era, and specifically the SNES, ignore this part of the history, but this was the age when arcade fighting games were taking off, and Street Fighter II ushered that era in.

Street Fighter II stayed in the #1 position on the Top 20 charts for seven months straight, until Zelda barely takes the #1 spot in June 1993. Then in July 1993, Street Fighter II overtakes Zelda, but Star Fox overtakes both.

Star Fox hangs on to the #1 position for three months while Zelda and Street Fighter compete for #2 and #3. The rest of the SNES life span is strange when you browse the rest of the charts. Mortal Kombat (the first one) and Street Fighter II Turbo compete with each other for the top position for a while, leaving Zelda in third for a good chunk of time.

This March 1994 chart (left) is weird because Street Fighter II Turbo got bumped off the top three as Star Fox takes its spot. Then the April 1994 chart (right) has Street Fighter II make a comeback and Star Fox gets bumped back down the chart.

The stuff after the big fighting game war was intermixed between stuff like NBA Jam for two months, a bunch of Rare-developed games in the form of Donkey Kong Country games and Killer Instinct, Super Metroid for a brief stint, and Super Mario RPG for a bit.

By June 1997 (left), as the N64 is in full swing (as much as it could be in 1997), the SNES charts settle into where it would mostly be for the rest of the SNES charting run, with Zelda on top and various first-party and Squaresoft RPGs sharing the rest of the list, shuffling around every so often, with the last SNES chart showing up in December 1998 (right). They stopped doing a Top 20 for each platform and started doing just the Top 10, probably because the N64 didn't have enough games to constitute a Top 20 and didn't want to repeat what happened in the early days of SNES charting where unreleased titles were showing up.

January 1999 is when they officially retired the SNES charts (the Game Boy charts kept going because Pokemon became a thing), with a blurb at the top stating Zelda 3 maintained its number one position. Bonus: here's the top N64 games and Game Boy games of the time. Zeldamania is running wild.

It's fun going back and seeing what was popular at the time during these old days, at least for me. Growing up reading these old magazines and wondering how accurate they were to what was popular among my peers was interesting, and seeing how things were viewed at the time compared to how they're viewed now shows how many details just get lost in the shuffle.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Game Informer had staples and was better than GamePro

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I've got the first 100 Nintendo Power issues, all read only once

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Wow Danyon sure has some opinions.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Mean Machines and then Gamesmaster for me.

When the PlayStation came along I bought the official mag for the demo discs but bought Play for the largely unbiased reviews.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Official Australian Playstation Magazine was really odd, because for like five years it had no filter whatsoever. I'm fairly certain I learned how to swear from reading it, and the staff referred to the editor as "The Black Pig".

Eventually Sony got them to reign it in, but it was a good mag overall. I remember one year they had a tear out section detailing every PS1 game that was at E3, including Too Human, which at that point was about you being a cop whose partner was killed and you could replace your body parts with cyborg bits.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Official Australian Playstation Magazine was really odd, because for like five years it had no filter whatsoever. I'm fairly certain I learned how to swear from reading it, and the staff referred to the editor as "The Black Pig".

Eventually Sony got them to reign it in, but it was a good mag overall. I remember one year they had a tear out section detailing every PS1 game that was at E3, including Too Human, which at that point was about you being a cop whose partner was killed and you could replace your body parts with cyborg bits.

The Australian gaming magazines (PC Powerplay, Atomic) in general were a lot better than their US counterparts because the writers/staff were writing for people their age group, instead of trying to keep it PG rated so as to not corrupt the children.

It's probably been mentioned already but the whole PC Powerplay back-catalogue is free to view and download on https://archive.org (https://archive.org/details/PCPowerplay).

Jomo fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 30, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
PC Powerplay was loving excellent, yeah. I never read much Atomic but I always heard it was good.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

kirbysuperstar posted:

PC Powerplay was loving excellent, yeah. I never read much Atomic but I always heard it was good.

I'm reading an issue now: https://archive.org/details/PCPowerplay-014-1997-07/mode/2up

Dark Reign is on the cover. Can I just say I tried playing Dark Reign several times and could not get into it?

This issue also features:

• a piece on Derek Smart
  • Duckman got its own adventure game
  • a reviewer livetweeting playing Redneck Rampage for the first time (scored 77%, mainly for the dated engine)
  • bwa hahaha - the very next page after that, they review Blood. It scores 71%. (Honestly, I've played the remaster, but did the OG blood have functional mouselook? Because a game that hard making you aim with the numpad, I can see it.)
  • A sierra adventure game called shivers 2 that sounds like a decent into arbitrary Sierra madness
  • an indepth modem comparison
  • a hype piece on the first Quake
  • a look at video conferencing technology
  • holy poo poo, a whole hardware review section, including thick-as-a-brick laptops and the latest CRT monitor hotness
  • MOAR hardware, a look at monitor future tech including LCD monitors: types including DSTN (90s LCD tech,) TFT, Plasma Screens, and HDVD, which was some sort of 3d format?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Had a subscription to Nintendo Power from 92-97 but the best magazine in that time period for me was Game Players. I feel GP was at it's peak around 95-97 (didn't read when it became Ultra Game Players) when the weird humor started to take off, which 12 year old me found to be hilarious at the time. I remember writing in a few times and being disappointed that my letters were never printed. Around 97 or so I switched to EGM for a few years which was an awesome magazine.

Now I have several boxes filled with back issues of NP and GP that are just gathering dust and are a real pain the rear end to deal with when moving. Might be time to put them on eBay.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I went to retromags and downloaded the 200GB torrent of every game magazine they have and I've been going through a lot of them; my favorite era is 1993-1996 because it's when SNES games were getting stupidly good and companies were putting out a lot of experimental stuff.

Reading this stuff as an adult, Game Player's is the most readable and EGM is pretty bad (just from a grammar and interest standpoint). I also noticed Game Player's "predictions/rumors" were 99% on the mark and the "Quarterman" rumor section of EGM was 80% full of poo poo.

I am dying to read Game Player's review of Illusion of Gaia but there's some issues missing in the RetroMags torrent and of course that's one of them. If anyone knows which issue it's in, please let me know. I'll buy it on eBay and scan it.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I had a bunch of posts in the Retro Goon Gaming Club thread where I dove into old Nintendo Power magazines (and a few times Sega Visions) to give an idea of what magazines were talking about during games being discussed in the thread at the time. Some folks seemed to enjoy it, so here's a batch of them in that thread. And here's me quote-posting the first of that batch, wherein I talk about the Top 30/20 charts and how weird they were calculated.

How the hell did Nintendo Power still have SNES charts in December 1998? There were zero games released that year!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Did anyone enter the Nintendo Power contests? I won second place in the Automobili Lamborghini 64 contest and got the game and a leather jacket that I still have 20+ years later. It's a nice jacket.

I had been a Nintendo Power loyalist until I got a copy of EGM for Christmas. Holy cow that was eye opening, the reviewers were allowed to tear junk to pieces and could cover all the systems. Plus it was the first place I read Seanbaby. Good times.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Did anyone enter the Nintendo Power contests?

I never did until the Killer Instinct arcade cabinet one, in 1995 or so. I never wanted something so bad in my life. I think I sent away 30 postcards or something. I got 3rd prize which was just some Mario t-shirt.

I ended up buying my own Killer Instinct machine as a high school freshman in 1997 making $4.50 an hour as a stockboy. I found some guy on the other side of the country selling it for $400 on a newsgroup and I had to pick the thing up from the local airport with my dad's friend who had a pickup.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My brother could have won something for doing something by playing Activision's Enduro. (Total rip-off of Sega's arcade game Turbo.) They went on to rip many more.

But this reminds of Electronic Games magazine where I first heard of Jumpman and Miner 20409er?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
These are the oldest issues I have:

Nintendo Power #103, December 1997

Electronic Gaming Monthly's Player's Guide to Video Games for the Nintendo 64 #3, Winter 1997

^ EDIT: Better pic now. ^

Tips & Tricks #38, April 1998 (alternate Canada-only cover)

GamePro #117, June 1998

Electronic Gaming Monthly #110, September 1998

1999 Video Game Buyer's Guide (Fall 1998)

Aside from the Nintendo 64 one, which is printed on thick paper (and was in turn expensive), my own copies don't look this nice...they've been loved half to death. ^_^

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 30, 2020

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

How the hell did Nintendo Power still have SNES charts in December 1998? There were zero games released that year!

No idea. Even the NES got rotated out of the charts once 1995 started (Wario's Woods being the last North American NES game a few months prior), but they kept pushing for those SNES charts, even as the chart basically cemented itself into just Link to the Past and RPGs. Whether folks agree with that charting, it's not very interesting to see every month, nor does it serve as a good history timeline into what people where actually playing when the SNES was still getting new releases and gaming trends were evolving overtime.

At least Game Boy would re-invent itself every few years when you'd think it would be done throughout the 90s (Super Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Pokemon)

I've been collecting old Nintendo Power issues for a long time, probably about as long as I've been collecting NES games. I own most of the NES-era issues and N64-era issues, and a couple months ago I was able to acquire most of the SNES-era issues, something I had been without for a long time as well. Don't own too many post-N64-era issues, just a few random GCN-era and like one Wii-era issue, as well as the final issue. The post-N64-era issue just don't seem to be as interesting as the earlier eras, probably because The Internet was more a thing by that point.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 1, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
...Really? I'm gonna be that guy, huh?

Yeah, I had a subscription to GamePro. Early 90's to about 2000 or so. I didn't care about which magazine was best, my mom paid for it and I just wanted to know what games were coming down the pipe.

While cleaning out the basement of my parent's place a few years ago, it turned out my late mother had saved most of our gamepro magazines. While it would've been cool to keep all of them, it wasn't practical for any of us. My brother and I only picked a few magazines that stuck out and threw the rest into the trash.

I didn't know a central repository of old video game magazines existed until today. Seems like they have most if not all of gamepro so maybe it's time for a stroll down memory lane.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was way into OPM mostly for the demos. Bought a copy of one issue late last year to find some obscure article and forgot how loving ad-poisoned old game mags were.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Did anyone enter the Nintendo Power contests?

I won a set of Tales of Symphonia cards once. Would have rather had that replica Sword of Mana they gave away tho.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

I remember getting this VHS and just eating it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0i_SI63I70

and, this whole thing

also, this gently caress from pc mag demo discs

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bobthenameless posted:

also, this gently caress from pc mag demo discs

Would coconut monkey be considered inappropriate today?

Great, now you reminded me when PC gamer deliberately designed the worst possible Quake 2 levels

Some of them were really funny, actually

Check out what cable it uses:

bobthenameless posted:

I remember getting this VHS and just eating it up

Same but this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv_YCSbWP78

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I had every Nintendo power from Issue 1 through mid-N64ish and threw them out myself when I went off to college. All the bonuses too... strategy guides, posters, those NES and gameboy decal stickers, the Donkey Kong Country VHS tape, all of it.

Not that they were mint condition collectibles or anything but it would have probably got me a few hundo on eBay?

My real favorite though was my subscription to PC gaming magazine Computer Gaming World. As a teenager it made me feel like I was reading a serious, adult critique on the Art of Video Games and not that kiddie EGM poo poo. They reviewed hex wargames and heavy RPGs! Then they let buffoon Jeff Green take over editorship and it got too silly and ‘fun’. How dare people have fun with video games!

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I actually paid off my student loans by selling back issues of nintendo power to diaper wearing IT guys on ebay

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I had every Nintendo power from Issue 1 through mid-N64ish and threw them out myself when I went off to college. All the bonuses too... strategy guides, posters, those NES and gameboy decal stickers, the Donkey Kong Country VHS tape, all of it.

Mods can we get a trigger/content warning on this please thanks? I'd love to have all my old Nintendo Powers back. Before the internet was widespread, it really did feel to me like thumbing through a gaming mag was the only way to participate in this abstract community. It felt special in a way that doesn't happen so much anymore.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I miss the Super Power Club pamphlets so much. I want an Illusion of Gaia baseball hat so bad

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Whenever I think of gaming magazines I think of reading them at the grocery store as my mom shopped. Tips and Tricks was a godsend before the internet and discovering GAMEFAQs. Also now we are so use to instant news but waiting for gaming magazines to come out for that bit of news about new games was so exciting.

My favorite growing up was EGM, mostly just because of the size, I feel like they always had the largest issues. Also, I am loving that other people remember how 90s EXTREME PSM was, who else remembers those "swimsuit" issues they had?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I got EGM free for like a decade after abusing those online free magazine surveys, and a lot of my friends did the same

Probably didn't help them in the long run

Game Players in the very early 90s was a quality magazine - I remember hunting down old issues at flea markets to figure out what used NES cartridges were worth buying

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Oh!

I remember there was a video game magazine I bought that had a cover story on the first WWF Smackdown game, and inside there was an interview with The Hardy Boyz about doing motion capture work on the game

Does anyone remember what magazine that was? I remember that was one of my favorite back issues to look through

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

kirbysuperstar posted:

I had a subscription to Hyper. I also got random copies of N64 Gamer, PCPP and Official Xbox Magazine (These two for demo disc purposes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

MorrisBae posted:

I got EGM free for like a decade after abusing those online free magazine surveys, and a lot of my friends did the same

Probably didn't help them in the long run

Pretty much all magazines make the vast majority of their money from ad sales; subscription fees are a pittance in comparison. It's always been a common practice for magazine publishers to sell subscriptions at a deep discount, or give them away for free. It costs them almost nothing and gives them the benefit of boosting their subscriber count, which gives them leverage to negotiate higher prices when selling their ad space.

You weren't actually abusing anything. EGM knew exactly what they were doing with the free subscriptions. Using the surveys to get a free decade of EGM did help them. A lot. They wanted people to do what you did. They wanted the subscriber numbers much more than they wanted the subscription fees.

Nothing for you to feel guilty about! :)