Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Going to tell you the truth. The best news was from the bus.

24 hours of atari got nothing on that,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my favorite thing about egm was how they would put a game on their cover, let the publisher advertise it like crazy the months ahead of its release, then when it comes out dan hsu would give it a 3.5 out of 10 and absolutely poo poo all over it and tell the developers to take a long walk off a short pier, then brag about it in the next issue

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

ToxicToast posted:

Whenever I think of gaming magazines I think of reading them at the grocery store as my mom shopped. Tips and Tricks was a godsend before the internet and discovering GAMEFAQs. Also now we are so use to instant news but waiting for gaming magazines to come out for that bit of news about new games was so exciting.

My favorite growing up was EGM, mostly just because of the size, I feel like they always had the largest issues. Also, I am loving that other people remember how 90s EXTREME PSM was, who else remembers those "swimsuit" issues they had?

What I remember most about PSM was that they were openly biased against consoles that weren't PlayStation. Other magazines like Nintendo Power and Official US PlayStation Magazines had to hide it (by just not mentioning the competition) but PSM just had it all out in the open by taking shots.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I think I accidentally ripped off the covers of practically every game magazine and comic I'd ever owned as a kid. I'd leave them all over the floor in my bedroom and they'd inevitably get stepped on and ripped. Am I the only one who had this problem?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Not at all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's a current game magazine called Retro Game Magazine from the UK that I've been wanting to subscribe to for over a decade. It's pricey. I could do it anytime. But I feel like as soon as I pull the trigger, they will announce it's ending.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's a current game magazine called Retro Game Magazine from the UK that I've been wanting to subscribe to for over a decade. It's pricey. I could do it anytime. But I feel like as soon as I pull the trigger, they will announce it's ending.
It's pretty good, if somewhat UK-centric. I got the digital subscription on Zinio, it's much cheaper and I can read it on my iPad.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

You mean Retro Gamer? I subscribe and it's fantastic. I like getting the print version in the mail. It makes me feel like a kid again.

A couple months ago they had an entire cover dedicated to the SNES Shadowrun and in that issue they got the developer to release a code that went undiscovered for 27 years.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, this is Retro Gamer. It's a pretty drat great magazine. I'm an American and subscribe to the iPad version for like $3/issue. Much cheaper than importing the print version.

Edit: They also have sales on iPad two or three times a year where you can buy a bundle of literally every back issue going back to the first one. I don't know what the sale price is these days since I bought the bundle a long time ago but I remember it being ridiculously cheap for the insane amount of quality magazines you get.

...! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 2, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Retro Gamer has survived two cancellations purely on the strength of its userbase, it's not going away any time soon. I've been a subscriber from the start (when it cost more due to the cover DVD) and they haven't really started repeating articles yet despite hitting over 200 issues.

Also, the writing staff are pretty active on their forum, which is cool.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 4, 2020

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Detective No. 27 posted:

If the price gets you, they do big annuals for a fair price with a lot of the good stuff in it. I get those occasionally instead of the individual issues.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
In other words, Retro Gamer is a very good magazine that you need to subscribe to in one form or another.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Someone is uploading old issues of Gamest and Arcadia magazine to the Internet Archive and they are a godsend. Japanese game magazines from the old days are rad as hell, those and the MSX FAN issues with the cute little claymation covers

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, I feel like the odd one out here. I had Expert Gamer:

which then rebranded into GameNOW:

And then that died? I dunno what happened, I was too young to be privvy to any sort of drama or whatever. But I was so excited to get them every month!

My only real memory was writing into GameNOW to defend the honor of Enter the Matrix on Gamecube and they totally ripped me a new one in the letters section. Lmao. Well, I was like 12 at the time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Taintrunner posted:

And then that died? I dunno what happened, I was too young to be privvy to any sort of drama or whatever. But I was so excited to get them every month!

Ziff Davis being Ziff Davis

quote:

In November 2002 (issue #13), the GameNOW staff was almost completely replaced when Ziff-Davis moved its video game magazines from the Chicago suburb of Oak Brook, Illinois to San Francisco, California. Of the original staff, only two writers made the move to California. Shortly after the move, the magazine underwent a massive redesign.

I assume it just didn't pull the numbers after that move or something.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I apparently had that exact issue of ExpertGamer as a child and totally forgot it existed until seeing that image stirred up memories.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Doc M posted:

I read a lot of UK Nintendo magazines in the 90s because there were no dedicated Nintendo mags in Finland at that point. N64 Magazine was obviously the best one, but I mostly read Nintendo Official Magazine because the language was so much simpler and easier for me to understand as a young kid who had just started learning English at school.

In hindsight, NOM circa 1998-2000 was half Nintendo advertisement, half cult manual for children. While most official mags would generally avoid mention of competing consoles or very briefly acknowledge them if a game got ported, NOM went all in with the console warrior poo poo. They could not stop making GBS threads on the PlayStation, or "Fony GreyStation" as they so creatively called it. According to NOM, the N64 dominated the console market and the GreyStation was a failure with no good games whatsoever, and if a PlayStation game got ported to the N64 they were quick to talk up how much better the N64 version is than that lovely old GreyStation rubbish. There was a monthly feature named "Mario's Hammer Time" where readers would send in a PlayStation or Saturn console or peripheral to, well, get smashed with a hammer. On the letters page, the "best" (i.e. most positive about Nintendo) letters won some pretty impressive prizes each month.

I have a lot of fondness for it, but N64 Magazine was a pale imitation of its predecessor Super Play.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I read an issue of Super Play that had a review of Front Mission: Gun Hazard and the writer hated it. Don't think I've ever disagreed so much with an old game magazine review.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

expert gamer had the fake yoshi code for pokemon red and blue that tormented my middle/high school

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
The recent Nintendo leaks have reminded me of the months and months I spent as a kid re-reading stories about "Zelda 64" in issues of EGM and other magazines. They exist as two different games in my mind: Ocarina of Time is the game that we all got to enjoy in November 1998, and Zelda 64 is an amorphous enigma lost to time.

Now, people are finding those old maps and enemies from the beta screenshots that I burned into my mind some 23 years ago. Here are a bunch of those beta screenshots and old stories: https://legendsoflocalization.com/about-zelda-iii-zelda-iv-and-zelda-64/#zelda-v-and-zelda-64

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

EGM reviews were the first time I got to appreciate the different views of editors for reviews. I remember True Crime: LA had three reviews and two were in the pretty good range but one reviewer gave it a 9.5 and it was cool to see those differences in opinion. Plus it meant if something got all 10s it meant something, dammit.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
I had a couple issues of Expert Gamer (formerly EGM2) - two halves of a Donkey Kong 64 guide - but the neighbor kid borrowed them and lost them.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I have like vague half-formed memories of reading some British N64 mag I bought at Barnes and Noble (I live in the US, but I know we got some Brit gaming mags) and being enthralled by screenshots of ~Zelda Gaiden~. I think the moon didn't even have a face in some of them, but the plot angle of 'the moon is falling down' was already established.

I think i twas that N64 magazine in the link above.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Loved me some Tips n Tricks.
One of the editors, Tyrone Rodriguez, I noticed that name in a Binding of Isaac Eternal Edition credits screen. I thought, I know that name! So I messaged him on twitter and he was like yep! Tips N Tricks. I asked him if he still talks to Betty, who moved to Japan and would write letters in "Letters from Betty." I remember her favorite show was Pete and Pete. She's a food blogger now. Yea Tips n Tricks, I had years of them but they are probably in the trash by now.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Zeether posted:

I read an issue of Super Play that had a review of Front Mission: Gun Hazard and the writer hated it. Don't think I've ever disagreed so much with an old game magazine review.

Yeah, a lot of the reviews in old magazines are kind of bonkers considering the following 25+ years of opinions on those games. Super Play has an hilariously negative review of Chrono Trigger, giving it only 92% or something, which is preposterously low considering how beloved that game is and how skewed 90s magazine review scores were.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, a lot of the reviews in old magazines are kind of bonkers considering the following 25+ years of opinions on those games. Super Play has an hilariously negative review of Chrono Trigger, giving it only 92% or something, which is preposterously low considering how beloved that game is and how skewed 90s magazine review scores were.

But 92% is good? I don't remember what Chrono Trigger got but FF3/6 got straight 9's from EGM's review crew. Perfect scores in the '90s were really rare in all of the magazines I read.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Truman Sticks posted:

But 92% is good? I don't remember what Chrono Trigger got but FF3/6 got straight 9's from EGM's review crew. Perfect scores in the '90s were really rare in all of the magazines I read.

In the UK, in 90s game magazines, 90% was basically "good". 80-89% was mediocre, 79% and below was bad. 92% for one of the most loved game of all time is kind of crazy.

e: Here's the review actually: https://archive.org/details/Superplay_Issue_37_1995-11_Future_Publishing_GB/page/n41/mode/2up. I was mistaken - they actually only gave the game 90% which is completely bonkers. For reference, in the same issue, Super Bomberman 3 gets only one percent less.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 31, 2020

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

share if u cry every time

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Whybird posted:

share if u cry every time

YS was my magazine of choice back in the day and I'm glad they got enough prior warning of closure to put together a proper final issue as a send-off instead of just disappearing like most mags. The final issue was also mostly about games too, which was good considering the last handful of issues had been ~36 pages long and reduced to giving out agony aunt advice and reviewing Doctor Who books.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
http://gamelosers.net/blog/2014/07/23/tips-tricks/
About to read this interview with T&T editor

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
Relevant to this thread: I recently unearthed a spreadsheet in my file archives that Greg Sewart assembled back at EGM ages ago. It's a complete tally of reviews up through issue 160, which breaks down scores by reviewer and even makes notes of Games of the Month. I made a copy for reference when I started working at 1UP.com to help our plans to populate the 1UP games database with old EGM reviews, and it turns out I thankfully never deleted it. Greg gave the OK to share it, so those of you with an interest in this sort of thing might find it interesting or even useful:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wUroHLnLRJIcGSzsXM7CiI6hMmMjULLW/view?usp=sharing

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh, that's super neat, thanks!

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I'd totally forgotten Archive has a bunch of old scanned game magazines
https://archive.org/details/Gamefan_Vol_3_Issue_10
I remember getting this one because of the Ultra 64 Final Fantasy VII screenshots

and there's this weird full page apology

twenty five years on I finally pulled it out

https://archive.org/details/Gamefan_Vol_3_Issue_09

90's tastic cover

and I found it! looks like someone took an article full of the placeholder text of the damned and thought it was a completed article.

bonus, the article layout of the damned ... just because QuarkXPress let's you flow text through an arbitrary shape, doesn't mean it should.
Impact font is an ... interesting choice for readability. Gamefan made a lot of weird font choices.
(fwiw the archive.org copies are higher res, imgur compression is hell)

I'm looking for an article covering the PC-FX. It was an interview with the development staff at NEC, and one of them said something like "Sure, polygons are popular now, none of the current consoles can decompress full screen beautiful motion jpeg video, and we think that will make the difference." It's a real "640kb should be enough for anybody" sort of line.
It might have been GameFan or GamePlayers or Game Infomer in 1993. I'm trying to remember the covers of the magazines I owned.

there's this too, an artist’s recreation of some report of the N64 controller... except it’s black, rubberized, kinda nobbly :crossarms:

Here's a fun one, probably the first time I'd ever heard of gaming sites on the web.
https://archive.org/details/game-players-issue-80-january-1996

Andrew Vestal's still running RPG Gamer, previously the Unofficial Squaresoft Page, back when it was hosted out of his college student account.
A lot of them have a url like students.mit.edu/~username/index.html

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 31, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've never wanted to see the N64 controller as a gimp and I still don't.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

No one read C+VG (computer and videogames)? Longest running video game media brand according to wikipedia.

This magazine ran from 1981 to 2004. It was peak videogame, I read and reread a lot of those.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Man I was part of the 95 - 99 golden era of that magazine. Learned about both Digimon and Pokemon in that.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

John F Bennett posted:

No one read C+VG (computer and videogames)? Longest running video game media brand according to wikipedia.

This magazine ran from 1981 to 2004. It was peak videogame, I read and reread a lot of those.

Never read it. Although, I played Colecovision "Smurf".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Comrade Fakename posted:

In the UK, in 90s game magazines, 90% was basically "good". 80-89% was mediocre, 79% and below was bad. 92% for one of the most loved game of all time is kind of crazy.

e: Here's the review actually: https://archive.org/details/Superplay_Issue_37_1995-11_Future_Publishing_GB/page/n41/mode/2up. I was mistaken - they actually only gave the game 90% which is completely bonkers. For reference, in the same issue, Super Bomberman 3 gets only one percent less.
When I was on a mag in the 90s, I desperately wanted to drop percentage scores in favour of a 1-5 star rating, because assigning precise percentages to subjective opinions is ludicrous. How can anyone claim a game's graphics are 1% better than another's? But management flat-out refused, on the grounds that percentages were just what was done, and the game publishers used them as a metric - ie, a game that scores below 85% on aggregate is considered poor and the developers don't earn a bonus. (Sub-90% scores were also often used for retribution - bad scores equals no advertising!) It was, and is, a bloody stupid system, but we were stuck with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

1-5 is good in theory, but as soon as you allow half stars it becomes a de-facto 1-10 scale. Similarly magazines that use 1-10 really become 1-20 the first time something gets 8.5 instead of 8 or 9.

The ultimate weirdness was ACE, who used a 1-1000 scale, but at least weren't afraid to use the entire range. Although how you decide a game is worth 648 rather than 647...

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 27, 2020