Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh Mike Bennett was used. He was humiliated because Vince had as much remorse offering the contract as Bennett had signing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I mean if I got offered 500k, I’d take it but he and Maria were probably told stories and stories about “you’re going to be in this storyline and you’ll win this belt” and they fell for it

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Miching Mallecho posted:

I mean if I got offered 500k, I’d take it but he and Maria were probably told stories and stories about “you’re going to be in this storyline and you’ll win this belt” and they fell for it

Even if they weren't told that kind of story, I can't blame someone for thinking they could take starring in cuckoldry storylines for $500,000 and then realizing they weren't comfortable with how it was going once they were actually on television.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Signing to job out on Main Event and the occasional Raw hour two is one thing. The angles Mike and Maria were put through are another level entirely, imo.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

to anybody who leaves or gets fired and complains about wwe i'd say good on you for seeing the light sucka fucka. whether they're making 20k in nxt or still 20k after being called up from nxt due to the virus

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i mean for perspective, look at 2019 in a vacuum. wwe let three wrestlers go earlier in the year, goldust, tye dillinger, and dean ambrose (granted they didnt have any say in the last one). what happens as soon as they let these guys go? They go to AEW and all of them (to that point) immediately become stars and actual players in the new company. based on this precedent, wwe was of course going to clamp down even tighter, yes, even with mike and maria, because god forbid if it somehow turns into a main event act in the new company. its laughable to think about that now but following double or nothing and fyter fest, shawn spears and dustin rhodes stock had never, ever been higher. it was the razor ramon/diesel effect all over again. thats why i could see them begrudgingly offering high 6 figures to mike and maria, and then resenting that they HAVE to pay these JOBBERS this much money, they book them in a way to gently caress with them and demoralise them. i dont hold blame on mike for accepting a new deal with a kid on the way (and pro move to mike and maria for signing those deals then immediately when the ink was dry announce that marias pregnant). i absolutely hold blame on wwe for actively trying to gently caress with his personal life with their angles, just the same way they tried to gently caress with miro and cj's personal life.

support wrestlers.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

JOHN CENA posted:

(and pro move to mike and maria for signing those deals then immediately when the ink was dry announce that marias pregnant).

According to them WWE knew they were planning at least

Mike posted:

“It was absolutely talked about. Every contract negotiation we went in there, because we actually at one point were talking about Maria just back in a creative role, not even coming back as a wrestler or a manager or any kind of on-screen talent. Maybe coming back and doing stuff with the girls down in NXT or helping be on the writing team. Because that’s what she loves to do now. She just loves helping, using her mind to help other people succeed. When we started talking to them, we said, ‘Look, we’re getting to that point where I’m 34, Maria’s 38, we want to have our kids when we want to have our kids.’ When we talked to them they were great. They were like, ‘Yeah, that’s not a problem at all.’ We told them. They 100% knew and they still offered us those contracts.”

“I think it’s mostly fans that think that’s why they were mad at us. There was no heat backstage. No one yelling at us. No one screaming at us. It wasn’t like ‘Oh, my God, I can’t believe you did this.’ It was business as usual. Now, if they said stuff behind our backs, they did. But, I don’t have a clue. That’s one of the reasons we signed, too. We were like, ‘Oh, you’re cool with us…?’ They [said], ‘Of course.’ They’re a family company. They took good care of us while we were there. They just did nothing with us creatively and that sucked.”

Maria posted:

"I wanted WWE to know we're going to try and have another child," Kanellis said. "WWE came back and they were like no we want to bring you back as a full-time talent again and we understand that you want to have a bigger family and have another child and we're totally cool with that. When they came back with it, I was like alright, we're golden, we're going to keep building our family and make more money and WWE understands."

Kanellis said she got pregnant sooner than expected and was only at eight weeks when informing the company. The company said it was fine but wanted to explain it on TV. She was nervous about revealing it to the world due to all the complications that can occur early into pregnancy.

So they signed new deals in June 2019, and then the baby was born Feb 3rd 2020. That means she probably got pregnant around mid May 2019, and then announced 8 weeks later in Mid July 2019.

Edit:
The episode she announced she was pregnant was the July 1st 2019 Raw. So that puts the pregnancy happening probably 8 weeks prior to that at early May before they signed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXBDQpknrZw

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 18, 2020

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Astro7x posted:

I just can't believe they pay Mike and Maria a total of $500,000 a year to do nothing, and then they're miserable. I don't know, I can't think of a job I'd hate that much for a quarter million dollars a year.

$250,000 is a lot of money for sure but it’s absolutely not the kind of money worth being miserable every day of your life for.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JUNGLE BOY posted:

$250,000 is a lot of money for sure but it’s absolutely not the kind of money worth being miserable every day of your life for.

gently caress that I’ll take 250k a year to spend 3-4 days a week travelling around and sitting backstage at arenas doing nothing.

VVVVV that’s pretty much any given job because most workplaces loving suck. I maintain my position.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 18, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the people who get paid to do nothing don't actually get to just sit there quietly on their phone the whole time or whatever. you have tons of people way up their own rear end yelling at you and others about dumb poo poo that they're wrong about, and various other forms of bigtiming verbal abuse disguised as coaching/teaching going on. that's before you get to interpersonal wrestler drama which i guess is nowhere near as bad as it used to be but there are still plenty of bad eggs as we're constantly reminded of. if you're already having your humanity sucked out day in and day out for much less money i can understand looking at it as a cushy position though. the main reason i'm glad of wrestlers complaining about wwe is because wwe is a big fuckin piece of poo poo and it would be great if more people were turned off from it being their ultimate dream. we could save the next kevin owens from being a big dumb rear end

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

There is no amount of money that can make you happy though having money makes it easier to be happy. I personally think I'd be miserable at any amount of money if I was being paid to scream that I can't be touched in a wrestling match because I'm pregnant and my husband isn't man enough to knock me up. I feel like that would make me unhappy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Gumball Gumption posted:

There is no amount of money that can make you happy though having money makes it easier to be happy. I personally think I'd be miserable at any amount of money if I was being paid to scream that I can't be touched in a wrestling match because I'm pregnant and my husband isn't man enough to knock me up. I feel like that would make me unhappy.

And just to piggyback onto that: consider that Vince McMahon, the man who took over pro wrestling to the point that his vision of what it should be is basically accepted as the default over almost the entire world, is obviously not even remotely satisfied with all the money his efforts have brought him. At some point there's no amount of money that can cure a person's insecurities and paranoia. Or to put it another way,

Spike Milligan posted:

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can afford you a more comfortable form of misery.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's people paid way less than $250k to travel 3-4 days a week, and they generally still have to work the rest of the normal hours and don't get to do it with their spouses. I'm not saying it's the best or easiest living, but the Bennetts could have done way worse.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if someone gave anybody a billion dollars and took it away the first time they complained, it would be gone in a couple weeks at the very longest and even that's a stretch. Nobody here is really doing it but when you read people telling rich athletes to shut up it's more of a denial of the human condition than anything else

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I dunno I think some people are underestimating the impact a sum as ‘little’ as a 250k annual salary would have on the lives of a lot of people even with the strings that come attached to a job in WWE. That’s more than 10x what a lot of people make in a year working jobs they hate infinitely more than any wrestler has ever hated working for the WWE outside of the victims of incredibly serious cases of abuse and misconduct.

For 250k a year no joke I’d kiss Vince’s rear end in the middle of the ring every single night and then smile and wave to the crowd the whole time on my walk to the back with my pants around my ankles because he thinks that’s funny.

Edit: if he promised me 5 years and then fired me halfway in I’d still be pissed though and think it’d be reasonable to be that way

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 18, 2020

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yeah, part of it comes from knowing that between you and your wife that you'd be making $2.5 Million over 5 years, so yeah, maybe you just go through it because of the pay day. But it has to sting when you're fired 9 months into your 5 year deal and get considerably less than that.

I guess we don't know what they were making before the contract renewal last year because they were not as public about it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dan Matha got arrested for no-showing a scheduled court appearance https://heelbynature.com/wrestling-news/former-nxt-star-dan-matha-arrested-after-missing-court-date-for-traffic-violation/

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 18, 2020

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It also really sucks to be good at something, get a job at the world's biggest provider of said thing, and then get parked in the break room not ever doing said thing. While you travel from site to site largely on your own dime.

And if you do get called out of there to do something, which you are eager to jump on, it's insanely demeaning for no good reason.

Yes yes, they know who they chose to work for and all, but one can still empathize with someone who is having their talent and hard work squandered out of malice or brutal incompetence

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
If you're nearing the end of your career and feel you have a good library of work behind you, or have a family that needs support or just want to make money while the goings good, I can totally understand wanting to stay in WWE.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mike Bennett isn't particularly good at his job though so there is that

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Edge & Christian posted:

That's basically it, it's probably not legal and it's been challenged before but the United States has not spent the 21st century being particularly interested in workers' rights and WWE has never faced a serious court challenge from someone with the resources to drag it out, to my recollection.

IIRC the only one who tried was Lesnar, and he only challenged the non-compete.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Nut Bunnies posted:

Perhaps. But he and his wife seem like nice people. So given the choice between barracking for them or barracking for Vince McMahon, I will take barracking for them. No matter how mediocre he is/was at fake fighting.

(As I assume would you. I am not attacking you.)

Edit: Semi unrelated question.

Do we know how JTG was able to get away with being paid for sitting at home for so long without being fired? How and why did he manage to stay under the radar for as long as he did?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Nut Bunnies posted:

he's perfectly passable.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

BrigadierSensible posted:

Do we know how JTG was able to get away with being paid for sitting at home for so long without being fired? How and why did he manage to stay under the radar for as long as he did?

He never picked up his phone!

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Good of course is relative. There are a lot of bad wrestlers out there and many of them made it to WWE.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Liquid Communism posted:

IIRC the only one who tried was Lesnar, and he only challenged the non-compete.
Other people on here would know better than me, but there have also been some class action lawsuits about 'independent contractor' status in the past several years, but for whatever reason it keeps getting folded into concussion-related lawsuits, ligitated on behalf of people who generally worked for only a small percentage of their careers in WWE, and represented by Konstantine Kyros who does not appear to be a great lawyer.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm assuming that's because it's mostly nobodies trying to sue the WWE who have infinite time and resources. The WWE broke Punk and made him turn on his friends. Lesner only won because he had both the money and didn't give a poo poo about the WWE and it's why he's still getting paid multi millions by Vince to this day.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Weird post transfer poo poo

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

How the gently caress did that get in here from the aew thread

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

How the gently caress dud that get in here from the aew thread

you've been released from the AEW threads, i'm afraid :(

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Edge & Christian posted:

Other people on here would know better than me, but there have also been some class action lawsuits about 'independent contractor' status in the past several years, but for whatever reason it keeps getting folded into concussion-related lawsuits, ligitated on behalf of people who generally worked for only a small percentage of their careers in WWE, and represented by Konstantine Kyros who does not appear to be a great lawyer.
The Kyros stuff makes me really sad sometimes because some people view him as a huckster and that's not case. He's done some weird stuff procedurally with the lawsuits, but at the end of the day, he's absolutely genuine, it's just that he's not the guy for this. And he's done a lot more than just the lawsuits, making a point of helping wrestlers apply for disability, Social Security, etc. benefits that many of them had no idea were available to them. All without asking for anything other than his contingencies on the lawsuits that we all know he's never going to win.

RealFoxy posted:

I'm assuming that's because it's mostly nobodies trying to sue the WWE who have infinite time and resources. The WWE broke Punk and made him turn on his friends. Lesner only won because he had both the money and didn't give a poo poo about the WWE and it's why he's still getting paid multi millions by Vince to this day.
I would love to know if—assuming WWE backed the Amann suit, which we all think they did—getting him to turn on Cabana was part of the plan. Especially since it feels like they were actively trying to ruin his life at times. Like...was there someone who realized "defamation lawsuits are expensive as hell, he'll get sticker shock and freak out on Cabana" or something like that? Although there is the part that's never really talked about where Punk pushed for a trial from the start and there was no attempt to toss the case (until just before trial in 2018) as a result.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

weird to think how different that relationship plays out if cabana does just remove the podcast.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

davidbix posted:

I would love to know if—assuming WWE backed the Amann suit, which we all think they did—getting him to turn on Cabana was part of the plan. Especially since it feels like they were actively trying to ruin his life at times. Like...was there someone who realized "defamation lawsuits are expensive as hell, he'll get sticker shock and freak out on Cabana" or something like that? Although there is the part that's never really talked about where Punk pushed for a trial from the start and there was no attempt to toss the case (until just before trial in 2018) as a result.
Considering the WWE uploaded a video zooming in on Punk's rear end in response to the claim he had a massive staph infection out of spite, I would imagine the whole thing was absolutely meant to break CM Punk knowing he's a petty person who would turn on his friends. I wouldn't be shocked if the WWE had thought they could turn AJ Lee against him too somehow.

Even before the lawsuit happened Punk was an open book where he'd go way out of his way to help a friend out but was extremely fickle and willing to cut someone out of his life the second he thought he was being used. He's in the same camp as Chris Jericho. They'll both do really good things out of kindness but they're both total unapologetic loving morons too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i mean they deliberately released him on his wedding day and made sure to call him to make sure he knew he was being released that day, and then they were about to bury aj lee in booking but she smartly retired to get out of having to deal with that lovely system

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Watching CM Punk: Best in the World one of the truly great WWE-produced wrestling documentaries it hurts so much to see Joey Mercury in it knowing how bad their falling out was.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

davidbix posted:

The Kyros stuff makes me really sad sometimes because some people view him as a huckster and that's not case. He's done some weird stuff procedurally with the lawsuits, but at the end of the day, he's absolutely genuine, it's just that he's not the guy for this. And he's done a lot more than just the lawsuits, making a point of helping wrestlers apply for disability, Social Security, etc. benefits that many of them had no idea were available to them. All without asking for anything other than his contingencies on the lawsuits that we all know he's never going to win.
I should have been clearer but I really didn't know the details and had a hard time digging them up, but my impression was more "not cut out for this/quixotic", not "huckster". I didn't know anything about his advocacy for the wrestlers outside of the lawsuits either, or else I would have couched my statement even harder.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Lid posted:

Watching CM Punk: Best in the World one of the truly great WWE-produced wrestling documentaries it hurts so much to see Joey Mercury in it knowing how bad their falling out was.

i like all the morons in it being like "yah i knew he was something special from day 1", sure Michael P.S Hayes i believe you :rolleyes:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Nut Bunnies posted:

who gives a poo poo? A person's value isn't inherently tied to their job performance

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Lid posted:

What happened between those two? I had no idea they had fallen out.

Last I heard about them was on the doc you mentioned, where Punk bought Joey a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

How the gently caress did that get in here from the aew thread

I guess it's not surprising though, most of the content in this thread ends up in AEW.