Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Venomous posted:

who gives a poo poo? A person's value isn't inherently tied to their job performance

Especially not in the WWE where Baron Corbin and Braun are in prominent positions on the card because tall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Edge & Christian posted:

I should have been clearer but I really didn't know the details and had a hard time digging them up, but my impression was more "not cut out for this/quixotic", not "huckster". I didn't know anything about his advocacy for the wrestlers outside of the lawsuits either, or else I would have couched my statement even harder.
Oh, I got what you were saying, I was just adding to it. We all wish he was better suited for it because his heart's clearly in the right place.

Pitwar posted:

What happened between those two? I had no idea they had fallen out.

Last I heard about them was on the doc you mentioned, where Punk bought Joey a house.
He was one of the people Punk was demanding quit WWE, I think?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Pitwar posted:

What happened between those two? I had no idea they had fallen out.

Last I heard about them was on the doc you mentioned, where Punk bought Joey a house.

Punk thinks Mercury was snitching to the company on things like when he got out of surgery, which invariably led to Vince calling him and pushing him to get back on the road, which inevitably would lead to “hey we need you to do some in-ring tonight” and suddenly he’s taking bumps, probably on his just-fixed knee, defeating the purpose of getting the surgery in the first place because he’s just damaging it all over again before it’s had a chance to properly heal.

Or, like, he got him the wrong fruit smoothie or something once, who the gently caress knows with Punk, but he suggests that Mercury stooged off him getting home from his last knee surgery during that Art of Wrestling podcast he did. I’d assume he’d have some line of reasoning to figure that.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

New accusations against Dream I haven’t seen before.

https://twitter.com/mattjimenezg/status/1296255076240166912?s=20

Y’all, there’s more and it’s worse. Not gonna post the rest in this thread.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Cameo posted:

Punk thinks Mercury was snitching to the company on things like when he got out of surgery, which invariably led to Vince calling him and pushing him to get back on the road, which inevitably would lead to “hey we need you to do some in-ring tonight” and suddenly he’s taking bumps, probably on his just-fixed knee, defeating the purpose of getting the surgery in the first place because he’s just damaging it all over again before it’s had a chance to properly heal.

Or, like, he got him the wrong fruit smoothie or something once, who the gently caress knows with Punk, but he suggests that Mercury stooged off him getting home from his last knee surgery during that Art of Wrestling podcast he did. I’d assume he’d have some line of reasoning to figure that.

IIRC Punk wanted more rest time before the Jericho program, and I think he said Joey was one of the only people (AJ Lee included) that saw him walking better before the Vince call telling him to get back to work

Which, even if that was the case, he could have always simply told Joey he needed a bit more rest time. He was there for Joey when Joey needed help, and everyone knows about him making sure Joey's house wasn't foreclosed. I don't automatically assume Joey intentionally hosed Punk over rather than thinking he was just ready to come back without issue or more break

Not to say I'd be surprised if that came out! It is wrestling after all, there are a lot of dicks and I could easily be wrong about this. Plus he shouldn't have snitched about it regardless. I just don't automatically assume he did that on purpose, especially after what Punk did for him

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 20, 2020

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

JUNGLE BOY posted:

New accusations against Dream I haven’t seen before.

https://twitter.com/mattjimenezg/status/1296255076240166912?s=20

Y’all, there’s more and it’s worse. Not gonna post the rest in this thread.

Yeah...there’s 4 new posts and people are trying to get a #FireVelveteenDream hashtag going.

He’s being defended hard, but yeah, saw some new poo poo and it’s sickening.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Punk is a loving rear end in a top hat but history is not on the side of Joey Mercury here IMO

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

ICR posted:

Yeah...there’s 4 new posts and people are trying to get a #FireVelveteenDream hashtag going.

He’s being defended hard, but yeah, saw some new poo poo and it’s sickening.

people 100% need to organize a campaign to contact their sponsors. its the only thing that will make them take any action

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

$250,000 is a lot of money for sure but it’s absolutely not the kind of money worth being miserable every day of your life for.

I trudge through significant human misery every day for a mere fraction of this. This is an insane take.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Seams posted:

He never picked up his phone!

That sounds like a joke, but for people reading who don't know that is the reason.

Also with Mike Bennett I feel bad for him, but come on. He just came with Maria. It's like buying an action figure and getting the dumb accessory you don't care about that came with it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Roasted Donut posted:

I trudge through significant human misery every day for a mere fraction of this. This is an insane take.

have you tried grabbing the brass ring??

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

have you tried grabbing the brass ring??

Sure! And even still it's 7+ years of salary for me. Hopelessly out of touch for a vast amount of Americans.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

I'm assuming that's because it's mostly nobodies trying to sue the WWE who have infinite time and resources. The WWE broke Punk and made him turn on his friends. Lesner only won because he had both the money and didn't give a poo poo about the WWE and it's why he's still getting paid multi millions by Vince to this day.
Brock won (settled technically) because they tried to directly breach his contract where everyone else's contract, however unfair and exploitative, was pretty much honored as written. They did break him and he was willing to return in 2005 but Vince wanted to knock him down to his rookie pay and not the contract he walked out on. Even then his settlement release almost certainly barred him from working TNA because it was easier to concede something minor than keep paying lawyers.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Huntman posted:

Hawkins was also one of the guys who helped get The Rock ready for his return WWE run. Always figured guys like him and Heath (and Chris Hero to a lesser extent) would've been WWE lifers because they're trusted to shake off ring rust on vets while also helping younger talent.

Joe Hennig was in the same position too. I'm genuinely surprised they booted such a good hand with a 3rd generation history. Has anyone else snapped him up yet?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Joe Hennig was in the same position too. I'm genuinely surprised they booted such a good hand with a 3rd generation history. Has anyone else snapped him up yet?

Nope, he's mostly stayed under the radar. Hasn't even tweeted since June

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1301979700676435969

Round 2 Electric Boogaloo?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Coward Tony hire AOP and Paul Ellering.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Now they can get a good match out of FTR.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no more old people

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
under 30 is old, this is true

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Where would they best flourish? LIJ just lost a member, so maybe they'd benefit from having a massive hoss team to build their numbers and get them back into the tag team scene?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

Where would they best flourish? LIJ just lost a member, so maybe they'd benefit from having a massive hoss team to build their numbers and get them back into the tag team scene?

LIJ has the whole “old friend of Naito” theme, so that’d be weird. Suzuki-gun could use a couple of thugs. I think trying to predict NJPW signings with the pandemic still on is hard, though.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vagabundo posted:

Impact Wrestling doesn't have any heel hosses in the tag division, unless you count Reno Scum (who are basically jobbers).

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Thanlis posted:

LIJ has the whole “old friend of Naito” theme, so that’d be weird. Suzuki-gun could use a couple of thugs. I think trying to predict NJPW signings with the pandemic still on is hard, though.

Yeah, I suppose. I was just looking at pure numbers. They'd probably want a lighter schedule considering how often they were out with injury on the main roster as well.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

IMPACT is what I immediately thought of. Maybe MLW if it doesn't just die I guess? A nice hoss team in AEW would be fun, but I'd rather they go elsewhere for the time being. An unaffiliated hoss team in NJPW would rule like when War Machine was there. Maybe toss them into Suzuki-gun to replace KES or something.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

AJPW would be the best fit stylistically I think.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Let them do BJW first because I need to see them wrestle against Daisuke Sekimoto and The Big Boy division

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

This would rule

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

oooh I didn't even consider this, but yeah that'd rule a lot

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If it pays off, it would be a pretty good get.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
As Rarity mentioned in another thread, AOP have the perfect "beefy hoss" look that Japanese promotions loving love out of their foreigners. I could see them thriving anywhere over there in a non-pandemic time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gerald Brisco is gone.

https://twitter.com/Fgbrisco/status/1304051679835414530?s=20

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

May be more

quote:

PWInsider.com is told by several sources that the departure of WWE Hall of Famer Gerald Brisco is part of another round of financial cutbacks for the company.

We are currently working to confirm how widespread the cutbacks will be and whether any talents will be released. It may be a case of the company opting not to bring back those furloughed, but we have yet to confirm that.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I wish I could say, “If Dream, Devlin, Theory And Ryker aren’t cut then I’m done,” but I’ve been done with this company since I think it was 2011 when I quit watching.

I’ll say, if they’re not cut, I’ll stop buying their games because that’s the last tie I have to them.

But real talk, I will cry and laugh if actual good-natured talent is cut and Dream at the very least isn’t one of them.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Is Lars technically under contract still?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
They likely won't cut Dream as they seem to be putting him in a feud with KUSHIDA, but the others have a non-zero chance of being released. Maybe Lars too. Probably a longshot though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If Briscoe is out then I wonder if they're starting to cut back on Legends contracts

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Benne posted:

If Briscoe is out then I wonder if they're starting to cut back on Legends contracts

Briscoe had a job as a talent scout, not just on a legends contract

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

drat, guess there’s no more talent to scout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ICR posted:

drat, guess there’s no more talent to scout.

Unironically, I don't think there will be much collegiate wrestling for him to watch this year.