Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

"Aloo" is the Hindi word for potato. I love a lot of vegetables but I think the potato is my favorite.

Apparently in South America, where potatoes are originally from, there are places with dozens or even hundreds of varieties of delightful potatoes. This to me sounds like a wonderland I can barely imagine. The possibilities just with the basic varieties of potato you see in America are almost unlimited. And anyways I don't even have access to those potatoes now, since I live in semi-rural India and there's just one kind of potato for sale here. It looks like this:

So, you might think I don't have a lot of options for my favorite pastime, which is playing around with my beloved tuber.

WRONG! The potato allows for unlimited possibilities in virtually any situation. That's also good news since it's an ideal quarantine vegetable. It lasts forever, it's filling, and if you sense the apocalypse coming you can stick it in deep in dirt and it will multiply.

So: this thread is dedicated to the potatoes I am going to cook. I will post my potatoes. I encourage you to post your potatoes, and also to share favorite potato recipes. My potatoes are going to predominately Indian since that's the only ingredient base I can draw from. But there are wonderful potato dishes from a ton of other cuisines: Hungary, Sichuan, Dongbei, Spain, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Trinidad and Tobago, Mexico, Afghanistan, America, Austria, Tanzania, Poland, Iran, Korea, Lebanon, Turkey, France, Chad, Jolly Old England, and plenty of other places all have many ways of preparing the humble potato. I might post other recipes from other cuisines throughout the thread.

I would maybe set some sort of deadline and offer some sort of prizes, like for most creative potato use, best potato dessert, best mashed potato, best potato salad, best baked potato, best breakfast potato, best fried potato, most potato, etc. But I don't really know where the post office is and anyways the entire country is shut down. So, you'll have to award yourselves potatoes, which are the best reward. Post your potatoes and I will add the to the directory below.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
  • Are Sweet Potatoes Potatoes? - No, they aren't. If you want to post sweet potato stuff then fine whatever. But the one true potato god will judge you.
  • Are Yams Sweet Potatoes? - No.
  • So If Yams Are Not Sweet Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes Are Not Potatoes, Are Yams Potatoes? - Also no. Again, if you must yam it up, then go ahead, but I urge you not to stray from the path of the potato.
  • Does Potato Starch Count? - Yes, a dish which incorporates potato starch is acceptable. If you make a dessert with potato starch, bonus points!
  • Do Instant Mashed Potato Flakes Count? - Yes, these things are cool.
  • Why Not Make a Cook Or Die? - The potato cannot be contained within one month. The potato thread will last forever.
  • What Are Your Potato Tips? - Use lots of salt. Keep the skin on, or at least eat it, since it's got nutrients. You can always cook more if they're undercooked, but aside from texture they really don't suffer as much from getting overcooked as you might worry. A microwave is great for parcooking potatoes but boiling or steaming works fine too. If you squeeze the liquid from grated potatoes you can save it in a bowl, let the starch settle to the bottom, pour out the liquid, mix in some water and repeat the process one or two times, and then eventually you'll be left with starch you can harvest.

DIRECTORY OF ALOO BY ME AND YOU
  1. Jeera Aloo by me, COOL CORN, PokeJoe
  2. Bastardized Jeera Aloo with Chickpeas by duckmaster
  3. Extremely Bastardized Jeera Aloo by How Wonderful!
  4. Aloo Jeera-ish Thing by Veni Vidi Ameche!
  5. Aloo Gobi by me, silvergoose
  6. Potatoes and Nettles by Nettle Soup
  7. Laziest Possible Bratkartoffeln by VictualSquid
  8. Aloo Patta Gobhi Sabzi by me
  9. Aloo Baingan by me
  10. Potato Wedges by Nettle Soup, Zenithe, How Wonderful!
  11. Aloo Bhindi by me
  12. Aloo Palak Sabzi by me
  13. Roast Potatoes with Red Bell Peppers by silvergoose
  14. Aloo Palak by big scary monsters
  15. Batata Nu Shaak by me
  16. Aloo Rasedar by me
  17. Baked Potato by PokeJoe
  18. Aloo Shimla Mirch ki Sabzi by me
  19. Latkeffles by princess peach
  20. Pork Shoulder, Potato, Sweet potato, Mushroom, and Carrot Stew by silvergoose
  21. Sem Aur Aloo Ki Sabzi by me
  22. Aloo Methi by me
  23. Sichuan Shredded Potato Salad by barbecue at the folks (again)
  24. Chips by Nettle Soup
  25. Caldo de Papas con Queso by Siselmo
  26. Bedmi Aloo Sabzi by me
  27. Aloo Tamatar Jhol by me
  28. Aloo Phulkpoir Chorchori by me
  29. Punjabi Aloo Beans by me
  30. Chawli Ki Phali & Aloo Sabzi Recipe by me
  31. Patatas Bravas by Ahdinko
  32. Sada Aloo Chorchori by me
  33. Bengali Dum Aloo by me
  34. Roasted Potatoes by Brain Curry

SWEET POTATO SHAME CORNER

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
ALOO #1: Jeera Aloo

Jeera aloo is a mainstay of dhabas, which are roadside restaurants which serve delicious Punjabi cuisine. The title of the dish means "cumin potatoes" and the version I've made is about as simple as it gets: it's just cumin seeds, turmeric potatoes, oil, chili powder, hing, and salt. It can get even simpler if you want, but typically it's spiced up with at least green chili and lemon juice or amchoor (powdered dried mango, which adds a delicious tang). Other common additions are cilantro, coriander seeds, ginger, and dried fenugreek leaf. Jeera aloo is a great "baby's first Indian food" dish to cook. Here are sample recipes: very simple, slightly more complex, a little more complex, an alternative, and another alternative.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Didn’t know whether to make that jeera aloo or crazyvanmans blasphemous chickpeas, so I just did both

Had to bastardise the jeera aloo - used chilli flakes instead of fresh chillis and I added quarter an onion as it was looking a bit sorry for itself. And I didn’t have lemon juice. It’s more jeera almostoo to be honest.

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 16, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
YESSS potatoes! Love it! Chickpeas go well with approximately 80% of dishes and I think they're a fantastic addition to aloo jeera. Very good job inaugurating the potato thread and may your chickpotatoes live on forever in the OP.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Thanks for the jeera aloo recipe! It's delicious! I didn't have any coriander :(

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Your picture is a lot prettier than mine! Looks delicious.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pretty good cumin potato

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 17, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Lots of jeera aloo! Very nice! We need more potato dishes though. I'll keep adding Indian stuff but let's broaden our cuisine a bit!

As for me, it's time for...

ALOO #2: Aloo Gobi

Aloo gobi is Hindi for potato and cauliflower. As with jeera aloo, it's a classic dhaba dish and there are lots of ways to prepare it. Mine was very similar to this recipe which is also very simple. This recipe is even simpler, though! This one is a little more involved and so is this one. I think cauliflower goes very well with potato because everything goes very well with potato, and because its floral notes and variegated texture provide a nice contrast to the potato's simpler flavor and texture.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
It's always a good time to eat taters.

Now is also a good time to plant taters, if you're in the northern hemisphere.

So, any more unusual varieties I should stick in my garden this year?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I made some true struggle aloo, without half of the proper ingredients. I swapped cumin seeds for ground cumin, and fennel seeds to keep some of the texture (I also just love the smell of fennel seeds cooking). I also popped in some pepitas just for fun. I also subbed a few of the spices and added in some ground black mustardseeds and a few szechuan peppercorns just for an excuse to work out some anger with the mortar and pestle. I also stirred in a little tiny bit of sambal oelek at the very end. It turned out really tasty, a perfect little lunch for two. I think the fennel and the peppercorns helped to cool it a little which was great because my wife is pretty spice-sensitive.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
gently caress, that looks incredible.

Aloo gobi is one of my favorite things to make in the pressure cooker. Just cook up the onion, garlic, spices, tomato, and the pop in the potatoes and cauliflower and pressure cook for a few minutes. Easy peasy. I think next time I make it I'll slather some lao gan ma on because really, why would you NOT put lao gan ma on any potato dish?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

How Wonderful! posted:

I made some true struggle aloo, without half of the proper ingredients. I swapped cumin seeds for ground cumin, and fennel seeds to keep some of the texture (I also just love the smell of fennel seeds cooking).
Fennel goes so well with potatoes! I like to make simple roasted potatoes with fennel sometimes (or, rather, I liked to do that back when I had an oven).

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Crosspostin from the vegan thread.

Being super poor, I mostly live off potatoes and rice. 25kg of food for under £10, delivered? Yes please!

Here's a potato fried up with salt, pepper, olive oil and breadcrumbs, then I added some steamed nettles and fried those a little too to dry them off. There was also a couple of vegan meatballs in there, but I'd eaten them by the time I thought about taking a picture.

It was delicious, if slightly terrifying at first.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Potatoes are strong and make you strong. So I made the laziest Bratkartoffeln imaginable:

Start frying some bacon and onions in oil or butter.
Add a lot of potatoes cut into small pieces. Normal people cook them first to get a better texture, but I felt too lazy.
Add something that retains its texture during this crazy process. I used cut up Maultaschen.
Throw in your spices: Caraway, sweet paprika, garlic, white pepper, black pepper and salt.
Panfry while stirring frequently
After everything is nicely browned just add a bit of water and cover your pan to steam the potatoes until they are cooked. This turns them into a delicious mush.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Excellent! Pasta and potatoes is one of my favorite combinations. Carbs on carbs is never the wrong choice. And caraway is such and underused gem of a spice.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

TychoCelchuuu posted:

And caraway is such and underused gem of a spice.

Caraway's beautiful, I grew up associating it with savory scones and it had such a crisp, layered flavor to it that I used to sneak up and pick the little seeds off the top when the scones were cooling.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Excellent! Pasta and potatoes is one of my favorite combinations. Carbs on carbs is never the wrong choice. And caraway is such and underused gem of a spice.
It is one of the default spices around here in south Germany. We put it on everything especially on pork or potatoes or with paprika.

When my father eats potato chips he buys paprika flavour and dumps on some extra caraway and pepper.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
ALOO #3: Aloo Patta Gobhi Sabzi

This is cabbage and potatoes. I pretty much followed this recipe, which is the simplest. Other recipes (which I'm sure I'll get around to making soon, since I love cabbage) include this and this (basically the same as each other) and this (another nice variation). Cabbage is cheap and tasty and so it's a great counterpart to potatoes.

I actually made this twice. It was great each time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I want you to know I've made a huge pan of jeera aloo for my fiancee and I like 3-4 times since you introduced me to it. It's so good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay so despite you noting that sweet potatoes and yams are neither each other nor potatoes, are they used at all in Indian cuisine? I made something like aloo jeera and it was super tasty, but...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

COOL CORN posted:

I want you to know I've made a huge pan of jeera aloo for my fiancee and I like 3-4 times since you introduced me to it. It's so good.
Glad to hear it! It's one of those dishes that highlights the greatness of the potato and the majesty of spices very well.

silvergoose posted:

Okay so despite you noting that sweet potatoes and yams are neither each other nor potatoes, are they used at all in Indian cuisine? I made something like aloo jeera and it was super tasty, but...
Yeah, sweet potatoes exist here. They're nowhere near as popular as potatoes and I've never seen them for sale at the market I shop at, but people definitely eat them. Might as well post it - it's got "potato" in the name after all. I'll make a shame section in the OP for non-potato potatoes. False potato prophets.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Glad to hear it! It's one of those dishes that highlights the greatness of the potato and the majesty of spices very well.

Yeah, sweet potatoes exist here. They're nowhere near as popular as potatoes and I've never seen them for sale at the market I shop at, but people definitely eat them. Might as well post it - it's got "potato" in the name after all. I'll make a shame section in the OP for non-potato potatoes. False potato prophets.

I got some silly kheema on my aloo shakarkand jeera, but y'know, so it goes.

(is that, in fact, what you'd call it?)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Most things have like 8 names here (lots of languages) and I don't even really speak Hindi, which is the main language in my area. But, yeah, I think that's the Hindi word for sweet potato.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
ALOO #3: Aloo Baingan

Jesus sorry about my pictures, but I don't really know how to white balance without Photoshop so uh here you go.

Aloo baingan is potatoes and eggplant. I basically made this recipe which is maybe the simplest possible recipe, but there are many, many other options. Check out this one, which has more spices, or this one, which is soupier, or this one, which is only slightly more elaborate than the one I used, or this one from the always reliable Manjula.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/spicy-and-sour-potato/

This potato recipe is very good, thanks for listening. Would not recommend without a wok though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Love that recipe (it's in the OP)! You do definitely have to make sure you treat the potatoes right. They can end up kind of gummy or mushy or over or undercooked. Excellent quality potatoes also help quite a bit.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Almost ordered in food today, then forced myself to just cook instead. Slowly getting closer to the dominos potato wedges I crave.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Nettle Soup posted:

Almost ordered in food today, then forced myself to just cook instead. Slowly getting closer to the dominos potato wedges I crave.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Potatoes at a pizza place? Crazy. And a brief googling tells me you can get them at ASDA.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nettle Soup posted:

YUM!

Time for my...

ALOO #4: Aloo Bhindi

Aloo bhindi is potatoes plus okra. I think I pretty much followed this recipe except one main deviation is that I used whole coriander seeds rather than powder, since I uh, don't have a grinder. I could buy ground coriander but whatever. Okra crisps up pretty well and also has a little bit of chew which makes it a nice pairing with potatoes. And as usual, the various spices combine for a delicious result.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Welp. I was just finishing a post with about a dozen pictures of six different aloo dishes I’ve cooked over the past couple of months, when an errant flick of the thumb caused my iPad to close the loving Awful app, and now I have nothing. Imagine this posts contains a bunch of crappy photos of dahi aloo, paneer aloo matar, pakhora, a tasty yellow dum aloo, aloo gobi, a nice aloo paneer in brown gravy, etc.

God loving dammit.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Welp. I was just finishing a post with about a dozen pictures of six different aloo dishes I’ve cooked over the past couple of months, when an errant flick of the thumb caused my iPad to close the loving Awful app, and now I have nothing. Imagine this posts contains a bunch of crappy photos of dahi aloo, paneer aloo matar, pakhora, a tasty yellow dum aloo, aloo gobi, a nice aloo paneer in brown gravy, etc.

God loving dammit.
Oh no ! Disaster! At least the food existed! I'd ask what app you use so I can avoid it, but I just use the default photo app anyways and I can't imagine switching. Anyways, I have lots of Indian aloo coming up so at least that'll fill the hole (no paneer stuff though cuz I don't eat it, so that's unfortunate).

Which leads us tooooo

ALOO #5: ALOO PALAK SABZI

Spinach plus potatoes. There are lots of good potato spinach combinations, including a few in Indian food. This one is a relatively dry stir fry sort of thing. This recipe is more or less the one I used but something like this is good too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Is this almost the most bog standard way of cooking potato in the US? Maybe, yeah. Diner food. Bell pepper, onion, potato, rosemary, paprika.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Oh no ! Disaster! At least the food existed! I'd ask what app you use so I can avoid it, but I just use the default photo app anyways and I can't imagine switching. Anyways, I have lots of Indian aloo coming up so at least that'll fill the hole (no paneer stuff though cuz I don't eat it, so that's unfortunate).

Which leads us tooooo

ALOO #5: ALOO PALAK SABZI

Spinach plus potatoes. There are lots of good potato spinach combinations, including a few in Indian food. This one is a relatively dry stir fry sort of thing. This recipe is more or less the one I used but something like this is good too.

I love aloo palak and coincidentally I made one today. I used this recipe, it looks quite similar to yours: https://www.cookwithmanali.com/aloo-palak/

Usually I don't make them so dry and I think I prefer a version with tomato. The roti weren't really necessary with the rice but I'm not very good at making them and wanted to practice. I made a version with sweet potatoes recently and it was OK but I cooked it too long and the sweet potatoes became so soft it was more like a thick stew.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Aloo gobhi, one of our favorites. The 5yo loves it too!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And now,

ALOO #6: Batata nu Shaak

This is a Gujurati potato dish, similar to aloo jeera but with the addition of mustard seeds and potentially all sorts of stuff depending on your recipe. The recipes online vary quite a bit, from this one with curry leaves and sesame seeds; this one with just the curry leaves; this soupy one with tomatoes, green chili, and ginger; this soupy one with all sorts of stuff including tamarind, etc. I made perhaps the simplest version you can make, via this recipe without the cilantro (I don't have any on hand right now - all my cilantro from the store seems to wilt immediately no matter what I do). Also I think I used more spices than the recipe calls for, perhaps in different ratios too. I don't really measure anything, mostly because I can sort of do this to taste and also because I don't have any measuring spoons anyways.

I basically love all the food I'm posting in this thread so I feel like I'm always repeating myself but this stuff is delicious. Can't recommend it enough, and the simplest version is extremely easy to make if you generally have Indian food ingredients around. For true Gujurati flavor add some sugar for no loving reason.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

We decided that sweet potatoes are potatoes, right?

This is what I make when I'm feeling sad: rice, curry sauce, a fish because I was feeding the dogs fish and I was waiting for the rice to steam, and breaded sweet potato (dip in flour > egg > panko breadcrumbs, fry until the right colour and then in the oven for 15 minutes)

It works with aubergine too!

Ignore the big one in the middle, that was a mix of all the breading stuff and I fed it to the dog.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The latest "Gourmet Makes" features not just one of the best potato foods but also an ode to the potato (plus the tip about starch from my OP!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi28pEbMdTw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Y'all gotta step up your potato game. I'm pulling almost all the potato weight around here!

ALOO #7: Aloo Rasedar

Bonus picture: bubbling away during cooking.

Aloo rasedar is a Northern Indian dish of potatoes in a gravy. It has some great spices in there. The version I made is one with kasuri methi, aka dried fenugreek leaf. There's also the methi-less version. There don't seem to be a ton of recipes for this online on the usual Indian recipe blogs. There are however plenty on some blogs I've never heard of, like this one, which uses pureed tomatoes; this typical looking one on an somewhat objectionably named blog; this one which includes an extra step where you temper it with a tadka which includes mustard seeds; this one which I think is about as simple as the recipe gets; and this one which brings nothing interesting to the table but I suppose that's fine.