Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Here's how I bake potatoes. I don't think very many people need baked potato recipes but I've been asked how I do it so here:
Wash and dry potato. Oil it, I usually just spray it with cooking spray. Add kosher salt and bake directly on the rack at 400 for 30-45 minutes or until it's a little browned and you can poke a knife through it easily. Take out, slice open, pinch slightly and add butter. Try not to burn yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Burning the tip of your fingers when pinching it is a small price to pay for delicious potato goodness.

Anyway, that's a lovely yellow potato. For russets I usually like to go an hour or more to really get it creamy. I did over an hour tonight, and left them in the off oven while the rest of dinner finished up.

Recommend putting a baking sheet on a lower rack of the oven just to get any oil that drips off. I hate when my oven gets filthy and smokes up the place.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Might be common knowledge, but if you want that beautiful burst-open restaurant look for your baked potato, 1) take a fork and punch a line of holes down the length of the baked potato, and 2) squeeze the edges in so that the line of holes burst the center line of the potato open.

That way you get this beautiful burst-open look!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Turns out if you cut a potato into a wedge shape and bake it with stuff that tastes good, the wedge shaped potatoes turn up really tasty, even better if you add other tasty things to eat them with afterwards

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Wedges are unbeatable!

ALOO #8: Aloo Shimla Mirch ki Sabzi

Potato and green bell pepper stir fry. Lots of different ways to make it. Typical recipes look like this or this (which is pretty much what I did) or this or this (notice the presence or lack thereof of onions). Some people also add tomatoes or a whole stew base sort of thing. Also known as aloo capsicum, a title under which you can find even more recipes. They're all delicious. Green bell pepper doesn't get enough love outside the trinity IMO. People like to poo poo on it but it's colorful and crunchy and not as oppressively sweet as other bell peppers.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

I wanted to explore my waffle iron more. I used a box latkes mix ( which I won't use again) and shredded cheese, zucchini and Ham in a waffle latkes. They were dry- from the mix I think I didn't use enough liquid. But I want to try this again. I thought they'd be a little healthier than the fried latkes, maybe fresh potatoes will be better.
I'm actually curious what tator tots in a waffle iron would be like..

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

princess_peach posted:

I wanted to explore my waffle iron more. I used a box latkes mix ( which I won't use again) and shredded cheese, zucchini and Ham in a waffle latkes. They were dry- from the mix I think I didn't use enough liquid. But I want to try this again. I thought they'd be a little healthier than the fried latkes, maybe fresh potatoes will be better.
I'm actually curious what tator tots in a waffle iron would be like..

I had a couple of waffle irons before I had to slim down my holdings for a move. I almost never made waffles in them. I made waffle-shaped omelettes, sandwiches, hash browns, cornbread, brownies, etc. In addition to obvious things like scrambled eggs, you can make just about anything that comes in “mix” form. Buy a bag of powder, add water, apply waffle iron.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've never owned a waffle iron but hash browns in a waffle iron (which is basically what latkes would be once you're not frying 'em, right) has always seemed like a great idea.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I've never owned a waffle iron but hash browns in a waffle iron (which is basically what latkes would be once you're not frying 'em, right) has always seemed like a great idea.

I found this waffle iron at a thrift store, I couldn't commit to buying a brand new one.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
A bit tangential but cornbread is great in a waffle iron as well. Top it with chili!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I put cheeseburgers in my waffle iron and you should too

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Resting Lich Face posted:

A bit tangential but cornbread is great in a waffle iron as well. Top it with chili!

Ohmygosh. Do you use cornbread batter? Or like already cooked bread? This sounds so good I can't even think straight.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
waffle some choux batter, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar: waffle churros

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

large hands posted:

waffle some choux batter, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar: waffle churros

Shiiiiit

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

princess_peach posted:

Ohmygosh. Do you use cornbread batter? Or like already cooked bread? This sounds so good I can't even think straight.

Cornbread batter with a bit of honey in it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I was inspired by those wedges and had a bunch of parsley sitting around so I made a little chimichurri and roasted potato lunch:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay so it's not the star of the dish per se, but potato is so essential to thickening stew. Okay yeah there's also false sweet potato in there.

Nothing heartier than stew, really. Pork shoulder, potato, sweet potato, mushroom, carrot.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 14, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
ALOO #9: Sem Aur Aloo Ki Sabzi (Green Beans with Potatoes)

I think "sem" is actually Hindi for a different kind of green bean - flat broad beans, rather than the long stringy green beans here. Whatever. I made this twice actually and it tasted great each time. (Well, I made it like four times, but I only took two pictures.) The recipe comes from I don't know where. It uses nigella seeds (kalonji is what they're called where I am). Aside from that nothing much to it: potatoes, a small amount of tomato, green chilies, ginger, and some spices (garam masala, cumin, hing, chili powder). Plus water for the desired consistency.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I got another 40kg of potatoes delivered yesterday. Not bad for £20! Trying to pawn the second 20kg bag off on neighbours but I don't think they've recovered from the first one yet.

Guy who delivered them says they've been super, super busy, which is good. Spuds for everyone!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Tomorrow near me, there's going to be a 20,000 pound potato giveaway! You just show up and take as many potatoes as you want. I'm really hoping my work schedule lines up right so I can make it!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

COOL CORN posted:

Tomorrow near me, there's going to be a 20,000 pound potato giveaway! You just show up and take as many potatoes as you want. I'm really hoping my work schedule lines up right so I can make it!
Do you live in heaven?

ALOO #10: Aloo Methi

Aloo methi is potato with fenugreek leaves. You can make it with fresh or dried leaves. I used dried because I didn't have fresh. I pretty much did this down to the letter, and your typical recipe is about that simple or even simpler. This one has almost zero ingredients! There's also this one and this one, both with garlic, and this one which goes with garlic and ginger, as does this one. If you ever get fenugreek fresh or dried, I can't recommend it enough. And I highly recommend fenugreek, which is absolutely wonderful, especially the dried stuff, which is tremendously useful for a ton of different Indian recipes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Do you live in heaven?

No because I have meetings today during the giveaway and won't be able to make it :cry:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

COOL CORN posted:

No because I have meetings today during the giveaway and won't be able to make it :cry:

Sounds like potato purgatory. Can you see the potato giveaway mountain from the meeting, watching all those lucky souls get their starchy fill?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I found a bag of Sichuan peppercorns I had bought and forgotten about, so I made Sichuan shredded potatoes for the first time in my life! No pictures of my own, because I screwed up the presentation, but have a pic from here: https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/shredded-potato-stir-fry/

The lemony notes of the Sichuan pepper combine with potato to make a pretty unique satisfying flavour. Fun!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I buried some potatoes and a bunch of weird green stuff came out of the dirt.

Is russet, yellow, and red potatoes all growing from supermarket potatoes that sprouted.
Up until a few days ago they were in 5 gallon grow bags but they were getting too big for their britches so I transferred them to the real dirt. They are much happier now.
I even got some bonus baby yellow potatoes that fell out of the roots when I was transplanting them.
Roasted them for dinner that night with olive oil maldon salt and pepper.
So good

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Excellent! That's the great thing about potatoes. They're effectively infinite if you have dirt.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Fishfingers and chips, and a sort of bbq sauce made from tomato sauce, liquid smoke and habanero sauce. I took cold half-boiled sliced potatoes, put salt and olive oil, a little paprika and some of this stuff on them and threw them in the oven for 20 minutes. They were super good!

I make things other than wedges/chips, sometimes, I swear!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

barbecue at the folks posted:

I found a bag of Sichuan peppercorns I had bought and forgotten about, so I made Sichuan shredded potatoes for the first time in my life! No pictures of my own, because I screwed up the presentation, but have a pic from here: https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/shredded-potato-stir-fry/

The lemony notes of the Sichuan pepper combine with potato to make a pretty unique satisfying flavour. Fun!

I’m glad you posted this. I’ve never had this dish, but I love potatoes. I am going to try this soon.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I used to get those for lunch once a week or so before quarantine, I really miss them! I'd get those and a dish of spicy cucumbers and just sit at the bar reading for a little bit on my way home from work. Now I want to try throwing some together this week.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
Dang! I wish I had pictures of the potato soup my mom and I had two days ago.

Anyway, here's the video we got the recipe from, so that you can make Mexican-style potato soup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9suFhBpbn0

For non-Spanish speakers

3 large potatoes (~800g or 1 3/4 lbs)
3 ripe tomatoes
Half of a small onion
2 garlic cloves
4 chilies (Poblanos or Anaheim)
1.75 L water
1 cup milk (make sure it is hot)
1/2 kilo of queso fresco or panela cheese (Internet tells me paneer, mild feta, farmer's chesse, ricotta salata, or extra firm tofu are good subs. i've also used oaxaca and fresh mozzarella on occasion)
Handful of cilantro
Black pepper
Dried oregano
Salt and/or powdered chicken stock

-First you roast the chilies in a skillet, griddle or comal until the skin is almost all burned. Put the chilies inside a plastic bag/ziploc/heatproof sealed container while hot and let the steam loosen the skin. After a while, take the chilies out and peel off the skin. Cut the flesh of the chilies into thin strips or chop it into smallish squares.
-Chop the tomatoes and garlic. Cut the onion into small strips.
-Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch or so cubes.
-Add oil in a pot at medium heat and cook the onions for a few minutes. Then add the garlic. A minute or so later add the tomatoes.
-Once the tomatoes are softening and getting kinda mushy, add the potatoes. Season with pepper and oregano.
-After 3-4 minutes, add the water and season with salt/chicken stock powder and the cilantro.
-Cover pot and leave it at a simmer/low boil until the potatoes are almost at the desired consistency (video says half an hour).
-At medium heat, add the chilies to the soup.
-A couple minutes later, slowly add the milk while stirring the soup. Make sure that the milk is hot or it won't incorporate well (if you gently caress up this, don't worry. the soup will look ugly as hell but still be delicious).
-Lastly, add the cheese. Leave it for a minute or two. Adjust salt if needed.
-Remove cilantro from the soup and serve.

It may sound complicated, but it's mostly chopping and adding stuff to the pot and waiting. Delicious as hell, tho.

Siselmo fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 28, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
ALOO #11: BEDMI ALOO SABZI

Delicious potato soup. I used this recipe. Highly recommended. Alternate recipe here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I made mashed potatoes today and I put some smetana in it, figured people put sour cream, this is like sour cream but better right. And man it's fabulous.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
ALOO #12: Aloo Tamatar Jhol

I got a mixi (an Indian appliance that's basically a blender/spice grinder/food processor - it comes with a few sizes of grinder jars depending on what you want to make) so the possibilities for aloo have now greatly expanded. This is actually something I can make without a mixi, since the only real grinding involved is pureeing tomatoes, which you can do by hand, but it takes forever and the mixi results are much faster and better. Anyways this is a soupy potato dish - it doesn't look soupy because I've served it over rice so all the liquid is mixed in with the rice down below. The exciting thing about it is that it uses fenugreek seeds so it has an interesting taste. I pretty much used this recipe. This one skews much richer and more complex but NDTV recipes often seem like trash to me so buyer beware. This one is more straightforward, and there's the ever-reliable Manjula's Kitchen recipe if you want it without onion and garlic. This is the simplest recipe I've found and this, this, and this are all basically the same and also quite simple.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 8, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
ALOO #13: Aloo Phulkopir Chorchori

This is a Bengali dish - a relatively simple potato and cauliflower combination. The version I made is dry rather than what I think is a more common soupy version. I left the sugar out and I sliced the chilies rather than leaving whole but aside from that I pretty much followed that recipe. Very delicious.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 8, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Tycho i love that you post the recipes <3

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Potato flower

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
ALOO #14: Punjabi Aloo Beans

A very simple dish of green beans and potatoes cooked North Indian style. Mostly followed this recipe. About as simple as things can get but still extremely delicious.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

ALOO ahoy: Sichuan potatoes!

They're still very satisfying and I am getting better with learning to frying them properly.

e: Sorry for the blurry photo, my potato phone wouldn't focus properly.

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 9, 2020

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
At first I was like, potato and cumin seems like a really basic recipe, then I thought, hey both of those foods are great..

Anyway, jeera aloo is a good recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yes, it's a perfect exercise in simplicity! Potatoes are one of the best foods to demonstrate the ways in which simple foods can taste as good as the most complex foods. French fries and potato chips are just two ingredients - potatoes and salt (plus oil, I guess) and they're basically two of the best foods on Earth.