Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
About four years ago, I was going to the laundry room at my apartment complex. The building where the laundry room was has two entrances. For whatever reason, my key to the back entrance would not accept my key and the front entrance had a locked gate since it was where the pool is and it was kept locked until about 10am. I figured I'd climb over the wall and hop down and open the back entrance from the inside. When I landed on the other side, I went down like sack of potatoes. I tried to stand and went down again. I could feel my right foot swelling, but there was no real pain. I had to hop into the building. Luckily, there was another person there who got me a chair to sit on. By this time my right ankle was the size of a grapefruit. I figured I ad sprained it.

But noooooooo....

She took me to the ER and I found out that I had fractured my right heel. Had I not been a fat bastard at the time, I would have probably been okay. Fast foward a week or so and I was in surgery to have screws and plates put in.

Five weeks out of work (thankfully I had plenty of PTO), then another six weeks of having to be driven around (a huge shout out to my neighbor) and I was able to drive myself again. It would take another two years for it to fully heal. Although I can no longer bend the big toe on that foot fully anymore.

That's my biggest injury to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

wheatpuppy posted:

When I was three, I had surgery to correct a hammer toe. They set me up with a plastic mask over my face which was uncomfortable and smelled weird, so I complained to the doctor. He told me, "it's ok, just count backward from 10 and I'll take it off." So I counted tennineeightsevensixfivefourthreetwoone and then asked him to take off the mask and he refused! That man had lied to me!

Then he bet me that I didn't know my numbers well enough to count back from 100, and I got to about 97 and suddenly it was tomorrow. Well that's my anaesthesia story thanks for listening.

Any of you medical professionals know what type of inhaled anaesthesia they'd have been giving me? In the late 70s in the US if that's relevant.

I've only been put under twice - once for the previously mentioned heel surgery. They'd given me a nerve block on that leg and told me the doctor would be there in about ten minutes. Next thing I knew I was being wheeled to my room four hours later. The doctor told me he had asked me some questions and I answered them, but I have zero memory of it.

About 18 years ago, I had a wisdom tooth removed and it went like this:

Doctor: Something, something, something, tooth, Something, something, something.

Doctor: Okay, Mr. Kingdom, we're all done. And I was lead out to the car.

That is some scary, but amazing poo poo.