Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Most Useless Keyboard Key
Scroll Lock
Pause/Break
Insert
Delete
Home
End
Num Lock
Other
View Results

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

It locks your scroll. It's a good joke to play on the court herald right as he's about to read the king's proclamation.

I keep frantically mashing 'End' but these posts keep coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

quote:

The scroll lock is a relic of days gone by. On old Windows PCs it was designed to allow someone to use the arrow keys to scroll through text. ... By toggling the scroll lock it allowed for the reader to leave the cursor where it was and to move to another part of the document thereby saving their spot.

I just tried this and it totally didnt work. Im going to send in a complaint to Dell that my 2007 era keyboard is broken and I demand a refund.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

I keep frantically mashing 'End' but these posts keep coming

show yourself, coward. i will never stop posting

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The one that conjures an 8-bit sprite of Orson Welles requesting to bite the tip of your penis.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
How the gently caress do people not know what scroll lock is used for. And if you work with Excel, then double shame :mad:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Chomp8645 posted:

I was gonna says the windows key, but I guess that's actively detrimental rather than useless. I say numlock because I genuinely don't can't think of any situation where you could not just leave it permanently enabled. The others I could at least come up with a theoretical use, even if I've never actually done it.

So, let's say you're too lazy to shop around for a real computer and accidentally hosed up your long-past-warranty laptop's arrow keys. The rest of your keyboard is fine, so your choices for dealing with this when you want the arrow keys are a) pay to have the thing fixed during corona panic, b) buy a USB keyboard (lol), or c) switch Num Lock off when you actually want the arrow keys in question. Before this happened to me I'd have agreed with you and it's still true 99% of the time.

On topic, it's definitely Scroll Lock followed by Insert. At least pod people get some use out of Insert presumably even though it is garbage, but what the gently caress is Scroll Lock good for in any non-technical application?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Angelwolf posted:

How the gently caress do people not know what scroll lock is used for. And if you work with Excel, then double shame :mad:

I have a mouse

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

i vomit kittens posted:

I have a mouse

Well check out mr fancy pants here

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

So, let's say you're too lazy to shop around for a real computer and accidentally hosed up your long-past-warranty laptop's arrow keys. The rest of your keyboard is fine, so your choices for dealing with this when you want the arrow keys are a) pay to have the thing fixed during corona panic, b) buy a USB keyboard (lol), or c) switch Num Lock off when you actually want the arrow keys in question. Before this happened to me I'd have agreed with you and it's still true 99% of the time.

Ok I guess. I've never owned a laptop so I guess it's a different angle. On a regular PC, any keyboard issue can resolved with "replace this easy changeable, not expensive part".

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Surprised at all the windows key hate. I prefer it over alt+tab to escape from fullscreen programs, and it's half of the shortcut to switch your keyboard to another language.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Aside from scroll lock and pause/break I use all of the keys. Also, I've noticed over the last year or so that I use the number pad more and more. I used to think it was useless (for me) but I guess there is a reason for its existence.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I just looked up what scroll lock does and I just use ctrl + arrow keys for that, not convinced there's any need for a lock key there

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Alt Grrrr is bad, get rid of it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Surprised at all the windows key hate. I prefer it over alt+tab to escape from fullscreen programs, and it's half of the shortcut to switch your keyboard to another language.

I don't want to open the drat start menu just because I tabbed out of something. :mad:
(Plus what if I know what I want to alt-tab to is open and i just hold the alt key down and keep tapping tab until I find it to open it rather than navigate through the start menu? NO THANK YOU)

Also I like the numpad, I'm better at 10-key number typing than I am top row typing numbers, I feel like. Even if neither are something I'd consider myself good at to any appreciable level.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Insert is good because Shift/Ctrl - Insert for copy & paste.

Scroll lock is barely useful in Excel but maybe it could be good as some sort of accessibility thing?

Doesn't something + Pause/Break open computer properties? Can't check it now but I really don't remember ever using it for anything else. Games could use it for the pause menu but everything just uses Esc instead. This one should get the vote but in truth there are no useless keys, because you can always bind an extra key to something you want.

i vomit kittens posted:

I have a mouse
why

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
My keyboard has a "power" button on it, which puts the computer into some kind of sleep state without shutting it down properly or turning the fans off, which I can only get it to come out of by turning it off at the wall for 5 minutes. So, I'd say the most useless button is the "wake up" button next to "power."

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Xaintrailles posted:

My keyboard has a "power" button on it, which puts the computer into some kind of sleep state without shutting it down properly or turning the fans off, which I can only get it to come out of by turning it off at the wall for 5 minutes. So, I'd say the most useless button is the "wake up" button next to "power."

Open up device manager (type 'dev man' in your start menu and look for it in results)
Click the '>' next to 'Keyboards', you'll see a few.
Right click each one and click 'Properties' and then 'Power Management', and then make sure the 'Allow this device to wake computer' option is checked.

If you have a laptop, and it's going into hibernate mode, turn that poo poo off. I think you can just open a cmd prompt and type in 'powercfg -h off' and that disables it without having to go through and manually uncheck a bunch of poo poo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
scroll lock is trash but function is worse, because it doesn't work across oses

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

olives black posted:

The most uselessly bound key is Caps Lock. The actual key itself is fine, but it should be swapped with Control by default.

ftfy

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

meh, Escape pops the vim clutch without contorting my hand

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Does "the entire MacBook touchbar thing" count? Because it is terrible and I'd rather have the f keys back.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Quote-Unquote posted:

Does "the entire MacBook touchbar thing" count? Because it is terrible and I'd rather have the f keys back.

It's loving evil

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Roumba posted:

Whatever the gently caress that key is with no name and just a cartoon of menu. It never does poo poo or is exactly the same as a right-click.

That key is really useful if you are dealing with a mouse issue. Seriously being able to right click in a remote session when you can't get good control of the mouse because they keep using it is a godsend tab to where you need and you use that.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

star eater posted:

i legit don't even know what scroll lock does

Yeah, was downhill free scrolling a problem in the past?

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Xaintrailles posted:

i just pulled those off so i'd never be able to accidentally push them

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Windows key + M minimize your screen.

It's scroll lock. It is literally becoming an Any-Key where you can map whatever you want on it.

Just use page up, page down, home, end buttons on spread sheets if you want to move through it quickly without a mouse.

Edit: personally though, I rip off the f1 key. It gets in the way, when I press the f2 key, when I want to rename files.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 17, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
its the =/+ button on the top right

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's obviously Any key, you rubes

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No key can cause such despair as Insert, while offering nothing good in return.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The "Any" key is completely useless. I can't even find it on my keyboard but so many programs ask for it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The "A Flat" key is the most useless. And you gotta be careful because people get upset if you ask for 'A flat minor"

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Num lock. I press it and my nuts still hurt when squeezed.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Basticle posted:

whatever the thing between windows and right ctrl is

I finally had the courage to touch mine, and it opened a context menu.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I use every key in exactly equal amounts

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I've looked up what scroll lock and pause/break do like 40 times including just now and I still don't remember what they do
voted scroll lock because it has a dedicated light to indicate whether it's on or off as if anybody gives a poo poo

home and end are fine, they're like pressing page up or page down until they no longer do anything

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ctrl-p

It don't work

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

Ctrl-p

It don't work

lp0 on fire

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

just lol if you don't use Win+X on a daily basis

Elentor posted:

No key can cause such despair as Insert, while offering nothing good in return.
:hmmyes:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ruffian Price posted:

just lol if you don't use Win+X on a daily basis

:hmmyes:

I don't usually remember the keystrokes to get to different things there so I get there by right clicking the start button it's the same menu. If I'm going to pick from the menu with the mouse might as well open it with the mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Insert