Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Most Useless Keyboard Key
Scroll Lock
Pause/Break
Insert
Delete
Home
End
Num Lock
Other
View Results

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's scroll lock

I think I've at least PUSHED the other keys on there at some point in my computer/word processor history. Except for that loving thing. Like star eater said. I'm literally NOT sure what that thing is supposed to do. I presume it prevents me from scrolling off screen if I was working on a console input so I don't lose the prompt??

However, the person who said "whatever the thing is to the right of the right Alt key" gets a goddamn second place because I had forgotten whatever the gently caress that is was even ON there and had to actually stare at it for a bit.
...I pushed it and it opened the 'File' menu. Why did it do that? Why do I need a button there for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Daikloktos posted:

The function keys problem is that they're nonstandardized and underdocumented - nobody is going to seek out that Ctrl+Shift+F6 allows you to quickly switch between Word documents. They're often used for program options in gaming, however

This is why I studiously maintain scores of those laminated cardboard things that fit around function keys that list what their shortcuts do and switch them out as I need them, pulling them from my special purpose rolodex that I keep them stored in.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I have another dirty secret. I dunno that I've ever successfully activated the 'SysRq' function on the PrntScrn key or know what its intended purpose was. I feel like this is something I should know.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Nurge posted:

You know the key left from 1? with like § and ½ and poo poo on it. It's that one.

I don't have one of those.

e: I DO have a Pause/Break key and I'm not even sure that has any function at all in any form of modern computing, does it?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

It locks your scroll. It's a good joke to play on the court herald right as he's about to read the king's proclamation.

I keep frantically mashing 'End' but these posts keep coming

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Surprised at all the windows key hate. I prefer it over alt+tab to escape from fullscreen programs, and it's half of the shortcut to switch your keyboard to another language.

I don't want to open the drat start menu just because I tabbed out of something. :mad:
(Plus what if I know what I want to alt-tab to is open and i just hold the alt key down and keep tapping tab until I find it to open it rather than navigate through the start menu? NO THANK YOU)

Also I like the numpad, I'm better at 10-key number typing than I am top row typing numbers, I feel like. Even if neither are something I'd consider myself good at to any appreciable level.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Xaintrailles posted:

My keyboard has a "power" button on it, which puts the computer into some kind of sleep state without shutting it down properly or turning the fans off, which I can only get it to come out of by turning it off at the wall for 5 minutes. So, I'd say the most useless button is the "wake up" button next to "power."

Open up device manager (type 'dev man' in your start menu and look for it in results)
Click the '>' next to 'Keyboards', you'll see a few.
Right click each one and click 'Properties' and then 'Power Management', and then make sure the 'Allow this device to wake computer' option is checked.

If you have a laptop, and it's going into hibernate mode, turn that poo poo off. I think you can just open a cmd prompt and type in 'powercfg -h off' and that disables it without having to go through and manually uncheck a bunch of poo poo.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

pixaal posted:

That key is really useful if you are dealing with a mouse issue. Seriously being able to right click in a remote session when you can't get good control of the mouse because they keep using it is a godsend tab to where you need and you use that.

Huh.

I was gonna say that's pretty swanky, my last job I did plenty of remote support stuff as part of my role and never knew that, but the client we used also had a 'force control' option that I could just rip control away from them if I needed, but that's still kinda fun. Was that through RDP or some 3rd party client that this was working through?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

man when this guy finds out holding Alt down when hitting Print Screen only grabs the active window hes gonna flip out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Daikloktos posted:

What the hell is the reverse apostrophe it shares with though

It's called a 'grave' apostrophe, but there's no one on earth who just doesn't call it 'the backwards one' or whatever.
it's for marking up comments in code `lol